What do you like the most about Apple Hardware?

the thing i like about apple hardware is ...

1. it looks great (as opposed to a pc beige case)

2. not only does it look great but the design is very well thought out, so unlike pc's where you have wires and cables everywhere, macs are free of clutter and crap.

3. it just works :D

not to mention the drivers for all these MILLIONS of pc peripherals we have. apple doesnt want to bother with that. its too late for them.  its quite sad when a simple USB PCI card doesn twork with my g3 MAC(1998) but works with my windows xp system with the 10 year old hardware(1995) without needing drivers.

people give too much credit for apple. and mac osx is crap. yes its BEAUTIFUL. but its not productive.

please note im not flaming im just saying what i think about it. i do have a mac. yes... but i dont use it anymore since i gave it to my lil sister to use for her internet games. which half dont work. i hate having to tell her a cd that used to work with the old pc i had let her borrow doesnt work with a mac or works on a  mac 9.2 system only with no OSX support... why does it need to run in emulation mode (classic) .. psh.. bull**** i say!

585464573[/snapback]

all apple machines have shipped with USB since the first imac era. why do i need a usb PCI card?

how is OS X not productive? i have photoshop, office, IMs, email, a web browser, photo organizer, movie maker, a calendar, music maker, dvd burning software... and save the first two that all comes bundled with the OS

no **** her old PC cds wont work on a mac, it's a MAC, not a PC. what kind of pathetic troll is this?

and those that work in 9.2 will run under classic. it has to run under classic because OS <9 and OS X are completely different cores, therefore old apps can't run natively.

It gets the job done, doesn't cause me hassle. The end.

As an added bonus, they look nice, are a pleasure to use every day, and have all the connectivity you could ever ask for in a consumer system.

Next step, a dual G4 or G5!

Dougal.

I'm not even going to acknowledge the ****-poor troll attempts in the thread by multiple persons, and just get on topic.

-Style: I love the clean white or sleek brushed metal look and their coinciding with their level (white for home/consumer use, metal for pro use)

-Top-notch components: Apple has consistenly adopted cutting-edge tech long before other consumer manufacturers have. The components they use are also high-quality; none of these no-name mish-mashes common in Wintel PCs

-RISC architecture: Faster per clock cycle, nuff said

Well:

+Looks nice

+Runs OSX

-Terrible policy on recall/replacement (4 years of iBook crapiness before they changed the design so it doesn't break, and another 3 years before that of 'oh no, there is nothing wrong with it')

-Generally poor quality hardware (I think their defect rate must be one of the highest in the industry, I know of no other company who ships so many problems with their machines, I could name a major production fault for nearly every one of their products)

-Overpriced

-Very slow

-Too much propietary ****

all apple machines have shipped with USB since the first imac era. why do i need a usb PCI card?

how is OS X not productive? i have photoshop, office, IMs, email, a web browser, photo organizer, movie maker, a calendar, music maker, dvd burning software... and save the first two that all comes bundled with the OS

no **** her old PC cds wont work on a mac, it's a MAC, not a PC. what kind of pathetic troll is this?

and those that work in 9.2 will run under classic. it has to run under classic because OS <9 and OS X are completely different cores, therefore old apps can't run natively.

585466791[/snapback]

Perhaps his USB ports broke, just like the ethernet ports on ibook start breaking (due to, guess what, a bad design choice which means they are soldered very poorly onto the motherboard) if you use them too much.

I just had to fall for your last troll there, how come MS has managed to have 20 year old DOS apps or 15 year old Win3.1 apps running on XP, which is 'completely different cores' without the sh!t overheads that classic entails?

I just had to fall for your last troll there, how come MS has managed to have 20 year old DOS apps or 15 year old Win3.1 apps running on XP, which is 'completely different cores' without the sh!t overheads that classic entails?

585467057[/snapback]

because while MS has migrated from DOS to 9x (which was really just a shell on DOS) to NT (which runs DOS apps in a separate environment much like classic). the cores are not completely different.

apple switched from their own OS (Mac OS) to a system based on BSD/NeXT.

Had microsoft gone from DOS to a Linux based system and kept compatibility with older hardware, youd have an argument

-Very slow

1) splain

2) what proprietary **** would that be? the PC2700 ram? SATA hard drives? PCI slots? ethernet, firewire, and usb ports?

because while MS has migrated from DOS to 9x (which was really just a shell on DOS) to NT (which runs DOS apps in a separate environment much like classic). the cores are not completely different.

Had microsoft gone from DOS to a Linux based system and kept compatibility with older hardware, youd have an argument

1) splain

2) what proprietary **** would that be? the PC2700 ram? SATA hard drives? PCI slots? ethernet, firewire, and usb ports?

585467361[/snapback]

you forgot PCI express on your list in #2 also... :p

-Terrible policy on recall/replacement (4 years of iBook crapiness before they changed the design so it doesn't break, and another 3 years before that of 'oh no, there is nothing wrong with it')

-Generally poor quality hardware (I think their defect rate must be one of the highest in the industry, I know of no other company who ships so many problems with their machines, I could name a major production fault for nearly every one of their products)

-Overpriced

-Very slow

585467041[/snapback]

I don't like the recall replacement policy too. Sucks I know.

The quality of the hardware is debatable. The only reason I can think of why I hear so many problems that people have is that because Mac users bitch more. Generally, they are tough people to please. Other companies have the same problems, like Dell for example. There was recently a safety recall from them on my friend's Dell notebook from 2001. Apparently over 1 million had to be replaced. You barely hear about this sorta stuff but when it comes to Apple there would be pages and pages of discussion on it. It's because most Mac users expect a higher standard.

Overpriced? I don't think so. Maybe for some things but not the computers. Did you add in the cost of great software?

Proprietary? So are you complaining that you can't build your own Mac?

I love the white look of my iBook the keyboard is nice also.

I love that I don't hear a Fan like I did on my other laptop without taking a hit in CPU Performance :)

I love that it runs OS X and the way OS X draws me into the exspirence with its eye candy.

I used to be one of them people that was like "Macs suck ass get a PC" then I bought an iBook (I overlooked its operating system simply for the hardware vs price vs size) and when I started using OS X ... well I could not believe how amazing it really was all the things the Mac people had said in defence in arguments with me (me taking the stance that Windows was better) finally made sense. "It just works" is the single sentence to explain the Mac to people before they have tried one, amazing does not even come close to what Apple has created with there Hardware and there Operating system.

Thats all I'm saying.

but in linux you can write the driver yourself(or someone else will write it for you), whereas in OSX you have to wait for apple/manufacturer to do it.

585466254[/snapback]

Everyone can write drivers can they? Everyone can build computers towers come pieces of hardware?

Trust me, close to everything you need has a Mac version or there's even a better Mac alternative. There's no need to 'write drivers' yourself. That's part of the pain with the other OS.

yes a better "more expensive" WAY MORE EXPENSIVE alternative. sheesh. a frickin video card costs almost twice as much if its for a mac instead of a pc. while im not blaming apple i should. its because of their proprietary bull****.

also i wasnt trolling, i was just replying to some retarded comment about no legacy support. as i said i do have a mac. sheesh

if apple was making the majority of the market though they'd have legacy stuff in them like heck also... the reason IBM based systems have all that still is because people still use it! serial ports are used a lot in mfg processes to connect machines that were made a while ago and cost millions to make to computers, they arn't going to put new machines just because computer tech has changed. Legacy has a reason on IBM based PC's

585462018[/snapback]

Very good point. I guess that explains why Apple only has less than 2% of market share.

yes a better "more expensive" WAY MORE EXPENSIVE alternative.  sheesh. a frickin video card costs almost twice as much if its for a mac instead of a pc. while im not blaming apple i should. its because of their proprietary bull****.

also i wasnt trolling, i was just replying to some retarded comment about no legacy support. as i said i do have a mac. sheesh

585468048[/snapback]

How is it proprietary? Take the 9800 G5 256MB, for example. It uses the same interface (AGP 8x or PCI) as PC video cards. As a matter of fact, it is the EXACT same piece of hardware; the only difference is about three resistors are in a different configuration, and the software in the card's BIOS is different (128k vs 64k) You can even take a 9800 for a PC and make it work on the Mac.

http://macmod.com/content/view/74/0/

Hell, you can do this with the Radeon 7000 64MB PCI for a PC, and it reuqires no hardware modding at all. And that gives you a 7000 with twice the memory of the stock Mac version for cheaper.

The only reason you are bitching is because the card cost $400. Well, IIRC, the 9800 cost that much for PC users when it was spankin' new too. I know plenty of PC users that paid just that much for it when it was the new kid on the block. If you want the best hardware available for your platform, you will pay a steep price. that is all there is to it. Hell, since I got my G5, I dumped the 9600 XT (put in my wife's 1.6 G5), paid ~$400 for my 9800 256MB, and shelled out yet another $150 for the 9200 128MB PCI. Worth every penny.

And NO, you shouldn't blame Apple. They don't manufacture ATI cards. ATI does. They decide the price.

I have an iBook G4 and it just looks great. It also performs great. It?s not a perfect computer but it really is very good. I just love it. Not just me but almost everyone notices it right away. I remember one of the first times I took it to work, and the cleaning lady who happened to pass by, said "That's a good lookin' computer. Hey, it's got an apple on the back". She doesn't even know it's an Apple, but she loved the look right away! This is not a joke. It did happen!

- I love the sexy design of my iBook, and all Apple products for that matter.

- Their computers seem to be built to last. High quality, and tough materials are used throughout.

- It just looks so damn nice. Compared to my Dell laptop, in terms on utter sexiness, it blows it out of the figurative water. No contest in that area.

Hell, you can do this with the Radeon 7000 64MB PCI for a PC, and it reuqires no hardware modding at all. And that gives you  a 7000 with twice the memory of the stock Mac version for cheaper.

585470369[/snapback]

I can vouch for that. I bought mine off eBay (because I didn't want to go to the hassle of flashing the card myself, my time is worth money to me) for about $65, but I could have gotten the PC version and done it myself for less money if I had wanted to.

1) splain

585467361[/snapback]

I haven't read on how XP runs older apps, but it sure as hell isn't as slow as classic. Classic takes upto 60 seconds to launch on my iBook, I can run 95/98 apps with no more than 1-2 seconds overhead, so I seriously doubt they are sandboxing it.

You also don't understand that 9x --> NT is as big as change as OS9 --> BSD is. 9x used a mixture of co-op and premetive multitasking, OS9 only used co-op. Both BSD and NT are both preemptively multitasked. Both NT and BSD are microkernel designs, whereas 9x and OS9 are not.

For the speed, basically the G5 is slow compared to a AMD64 which costs much less. Same with graphics cards, Apple is always a few generations behind and they are still using crappy old AGP, but they cost more than the top-of-the-range PCIe parts from the PC world. The G4 is just pathetic speed wise, and it's so FSB starved it isn't funny.

Proprietary was a bad word, but basically I mean the way Apple only likes to work with itself. iChat only works with iSight, even though they have built support for other cameras into the OS. iDVD (uptil now) only worked with their 'superdrives'. I could lsit more.

you forgot PCI express on your list in #2 also... :p

585467743[/snapback]

Apple uses PCI-X (old, rare and expensive). Apple does not use PCI-express which is completely different.

I don't like the recall replacement policy too. Sucks I know.

The quality of the hardware is debatable. The only reason I can think of why I hear so many problems that people have is that because Mac users bitch more. Generally, they are tough people to please. Other companies have the same problems, like Dell for example. There was recently a safety recall from them on my friend's Dell notebook from 2001. Apparently over 1 million had to be replaced. You barely hear about this sorta stuff but when it comes to Apple there would be pages and pages of discussion on it. It's because most Mac users expect a higher standard.

Overpriced? I don't think so. Maybe for some things but not the computers. Did you add in the cost of great software?

Proprietary? So are you complaining that you can't build your own Mac?

585467827[/snapback]

The difference is that Apple charges 1.5x-3x more than Dell for, basically, the same stuff. Therefore you expect a much higher standard of component to be used, and more thought in the design of the electroinics itself, both of which are sorely missing from Apple these days.