What do you like the most about Apple Hardware?

What do I like most about apple hardware?

It hasn't found it's way into the PC world.

The day apple starts creating hardware for the pc platform is the day computers become slower in the name of "thinking different".

I don't get the mac mini. Yes, it is inexpensive, but at what cost? The hardware is outdated the second it is produced.

585490787[/snapback]

What good is cutting edge hardware if your software does a **** job at utilizing it? Macs perform spectacularly. They make the hardware and software work together. They may have slower clock-speeds, but using RISC over CISC is an advantage.

What do I like most about apple hardware?

It hasn't found it's way into the PC world.

The day apple starts creating hardware for the pc platform is the day computers become slower in the name of "thinking different".

I don't get the mac mini. Yes, it is inexpensive, but at what cost? The hardware is outdated the second it is produced.

585490787[/snapback]

And that day Apple stops creating hardware in the PC industry is the day the PC industry starts to fall. Apple is an alternative and gosh we need one. A company that stands up and does something differently. Or else Microsoft will just stop improving Windows. And Dell still continue to put floppy disks in PCs. And the day PC designs will never change. The computer industry needs a Dell. It needs a Microsoft. And it needs an Apple.

What in that artical made you think PCI-X is better? It is still a shared bandwith tech.

585487120[/snapback]

From the article:

'By the looks of the market and products available, it seems Apple took the right decision to implement PCI-X and not PCI-Express. Although Apple?s approach could be described as conservative, which is not what users expect from the company, conservatism is what pays off when it comes to these two technologies.'

Also

'However, jumping on the PCI-Express bandwagon now seems a bit premature. Gartner Group reports that on Intel?s product front, negative news dominated the past three months. Not only did Intel confirm that its fastest desktop microprocessors were in short supply and that the 4-gigahertz variant would be delayed, Intel?s newest chipset for workstation and server markets had bugs in its PCI Express interface. This implies that few PCs have PCI-Express on-board.

Furthermore, PCI-X is not yet an end-of-life technology. The graphic below shows there still is some life in PCI-X beyond what is offered in Power Mac G5 and other PCI-X systems.'

'There are 4 speed grades in the PCI-X 2.0 specification: PCI-X 66, PCI-X 133, PCI-X 266, and PCI-X 533. The PCI-X 66 and PCI-X 133 speed grades were included in the PCI-X 1.0 specification. 100MHz PCI-X has been implemented in the market by using PCI-X 133 adapter cards. Both PCI-X 266 and PCI-X 533 are new to PCI-X 2.0; they are the 266MHz and 533MHz versions of the specification.

All four speed grades are included in the PCI-X 2.0 specification. PCI-X 2.0 is backward compatible with all generations of PCI. PCI-X 266 and PCI-X 533 devices are electrically compatible with 3.3V and 1.5V I/O buffers only. They are not compatible with 5V PCI. The latest version of the PCI local-bus specification (v3.0) obsoletes 5V-only add-in cards and 5V-only system slots.?'

My point being that it is the better tech due to full backward compatibility and high bandwidth transfers.

585490787[/snapback]

By what standard? I'm sure most home users would be happier with a 1.2ghz Pentium III in a tiny form factor than the big power hungry 2.4ghz they have now. Processor speed, for most people, is no longer an issue. At all. You need to start taking better advantage of the add on devices, memory, hard drives, video (most important), and in those respects cheap PCs are equally outdated.

In terms of their products that I have tried (OSX and ipod), I have found them to be more intuitive to use than other products. The things just seem easier to use. There also seems to be less conflicts and "tweaking" needed.

my 2c

I haven't seent it yet, yes Panther does add support for the G5's, not as much as Tiger, BUT, a 64bit OS that will ONLY run on the G5, a seperate edition of Tiger for the G5's that won't run on the G4's and G3's would be great, an even more optimized OS.  Microsoft is inching closer and closer to releasing Windows XP x64 and Windows 2003 x64, which only run on AMD and Intel 64bit CPU's, so, little ways off there for Apple, no?

585490959[/snapback]

Apple doesn't have to make different versions of the OS.

Unlike Microsoft, Apple has lots of experience making an OS that can take advantage of completely different architectures. OS 8 was able to run on both 68K and PPC hardware, and the applications could be compiled in what is known as a "fat binary", which had code for both platforms in one file. The same thing was done on NeXTStep (the precursor to OS X). The framework is still present in OS X (and native applications) to support running on multiple processor platforms.

Yes, Microsoft once made versions of NT for multiple platforms (including 64-bit Alphas, etc), but they had to release completely separate versions for each platform, and developers had to release platform-specific versions of their programs.

What I like about Apple stuff is resumed in this word : simple. I mean, if everyone had a Mac, problems would be reduced. Everything on Mac is very well made because Apple make the hardware AND the OS. I think Microsoft should do the same thing in the Windows world. Control the OS and the hardware, based on PC standarts...So forget about those driver problems...

Everyone who has a Mac knows that everything is plug'n play. The iPod, external HD, camcorder/digital camera etc...

Mac is what computer sould realy be : simple and conveniant.

What I like about Apple stuff is resumed in this word : simple. I mean, if everyone had a Mac,  problems would be reduced.

585496821[/snapback]

Problems may be reduced overall, but every hacker that was trying to mess up Windows would be trying to mess up OS X.

My opinion:

The current Mac hardware looks very nice with the exception of the eMac and U2 iPod. The old hardware was horrid - old PCs were nothing to look at but Macs were way worse. I hated the clam shell laptops - how ugly! I did not like the iMac with the spherical base either. The new iMac, iBook and PowerBook are tight though. :yes: