Why Apples Out-Innovate PC's

I love britney she's hot.

I love my PC.

(What am I talking about? LOL)

585468144[/snapback]

Hey I didnt say she wasnt hot. I just hate her maybe if she had a paper bag over her head I would hit it.. maybe :unsure:

boring-this is hard to explain. if you use linux, youll get it.

585467831[/snapback]

I use it, I still don't get what you're saying.

You sound just as fanboyish as anyone else here. On top of that you haven't even compiled a kernel :p :happy:

i can just see some 12 year old blonde "princess" going "i want an iPod"

12 year olds dont care for ogg support, 90+dB ratings or line in recording.

when you think about it, does that make iPod users equal to a 12 year old girl?

now thats something to debate...

585468145[/snapback]

From 9 year olds to 90 year olds, about 98% of them dont care for "ogg support, 90+dB ratings or line in recording." They trust Apple for their product and hope it plays MP3. You are more advanced when it comes to things like that, so you'll be picky to things of that sort. But it's also like a car. You have ABS and ESP, essentially the same thing .. but if you were not much of a car savy person, you would trust the car maker for their car and hope it drives and protects you, not caring if its ESP or ABS.

i can just see some 12 year old blonde "princess" going "i want an iPod"

12 year olds dont care for ogg support, 90+dB ratings or line in recording.

when you think about it, does that make iPod users equal to a 12 year old girl?

now thats something to debate...

585468145[/snapback]

This is plain stupid. I can just see some dirty old man drooling over your mom. Does that make your dad equal to a dirty old man?

but hte question is, why do people that go to a tech site not care about line-in recording, an FM tuner and better sound quality?

585468171[/snapback]

Don't care as in they have no clue what it is. I didn't mean they do not care for the feature, they just do not know it exists. I wouldn't know anything about MP3 players except that some can record and play wma files. Until a week or so ago, I never knew anything about DRM in music. Coming here teaches me a thing or two about the technology sector. About 98% of internet users do not even know about sites like this.

I use it, I still don't get what you're saying.

You sound just as fanboyish as anyone else here. On top of that you haven't even compiled a kernel :p  :happy:

585468153[/snapback]

He has no argument. His nip-picking.

14Million Mac Os X Panther users will keep Apple above water and keep Apple innovating past Dell and all other OEM's Microsoft or Linux don't innovate. Microsoft put in features everyone else had years ago and Linux is open source which I am sorry to say does hinder its development Microsoft have this "Security Problem" I quote "Security is a problem, so we will throw money at it until we get it right" this is something Linux cannot do they don't have the almost limitless equity that Microsoft has to spend on development.

And Apple. Well they don't have to throw money at there security problems because they don't exist (And don't tell me its because of market share because I will throttle you)

So what's computing going to be like in 10 years from now? Well Microsoft will be shut down for monopolising the market, Apple will continue to churn out wild ideas great marketing and amazing operating systems and Linux Distros will become the new OEM Shipped operating system.

Hey I didnt say she wasnt hot. I just hate her maybe if she had a paper bag over her head I would hit it.. maybe  :unsure:

585468151[/snapback]

My comment was a pure result of boredom, just ignore it. :p

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks to all who were talking with me, my mind is a little more open than it was before about Apple. Even though I still think they are awesome than most computer makers. I hope some of you have also changed your ideology about other makers also. Now, I shall retire from my consciousness.

Good night :woot:

Linux is open source which I am sorry to say does hinder its development

Careful! Thin Ice!

:)

In ten years apple will be the equivalent of a record company. They'll stop making computers because they will finally realize no one is buying them because Steve Jobs is no longer at the company. Then they will be acquired by Sonysoft the recent merger of Sony and Microsoft. This company accompanied with the soon to be merger with Google will have full control of at least 98% of all media including internet, video, and audio. We will all have MSN as an ISP and use google search technology to find anything we wish to view over our Media PCs or MPC as they will be called.

Sure is fun to speculate isn't it.

How?

585468286[/snapback]

I said how read the full post.

The fact they don't have the loads of money to pay for loads of top quality designers means Linux development is quite slow.

[EDIT] sorry I realised you quoted his quote and in his quote he failed to set it up properly so that it linked to my post.

Well, its all subjective, because frankly there a million different PC's in different configs with different drivers etc etc. The user experience will rarely be the same, per machine. My experience clearly is, with Windows machines, sleep invariably doesn't work, or doesn't work as expected. We have Mac's all across my home, but guess what, despite what I'd like, once I leave the home, I have to use Windows PC's. Somehow, I seem to find that it'd be VERY hard (unless you never leave the home) to ignore Windows wholly. At work, the newest PC we have is some HP Tower Unit, and the only way to wake the machine up from sleep is via 'ESC' and it takes about 10 seconds to be operational once more...

I repeat, this is all down to my own experiences, but please consider what is spoken in bold, it is common sense.

585468086[/snapback]

I agree that it all has to do with personal experience. But here's a simple fact - Standby and Hibernate will work correctly on any machine if the hardware and drivers support it. Most brand-name machines are good at this because they pick mainstream hardware (rather than some no-name cheap component) and offer constantly updated drivers on their sites. As long as you stick to those drivers, you should be fine - always.

And since you are of the opinion that OS X's power management (Sleep, specifically) is superior to XP's, I just had one question - what happens if you put a Mac portable to sleep with all of your work still open and the battery runs out while it's sleeping? Any of the Mac users here - feel free to answer this.

I agree that it all has to do with personal experience. But here's a simple fact - Standby and Hibernate will work correctly on any machine if the hardware and drivers support it. Most brand-name machines are good at this because they pick mainstream hardware (rather than some no-name cheap component) and offer constantly updated drivers on their sites. As long as you stick to those drivers, you should be fine - always.

And since you are of the opinion that OS X's power management (Sleep, specifically) is superior to XP's, I just had one question - what happens if you put a Mac portable to sleep with all of your work still open and the battery runs out while it's sleeping? Any of the Mac users here - feel free to answer this.

585468292[/snapback]

I never suggested OS X's power management were better, all I was saying, was the sleep works on every Macintosh, but for obvious reasons this hasn't been the case for all XP machines. I don't particularly care much about it, but it typifies a pattern within the Windows vs Mac OS world. If you have a closed set of hardware, where you define the core software to run it, it's easy to cover and have it work. However if you try and cover pretty much infinite possible configs, well the user experiences will differ per machine, obviously.

As for Mac portables on sleep... Hm, i have no idea, i have a PowerMac G5. My dad has an iBook though, and typically it'll sleep a hell of a long time... I could only assume it'll just switch off in the end, what other outcome would there be for a portable? Yet, if you sleep a laptop with work opened, and don't come back to it with a week or more, you kinda brought it upon yourself to the fact the battery may run out, yea?

Good timing BTW... I just read some of the thread, and scanned some more of the crap, and your post was then the last post in the thread, spot on! :p

Sleep didn't work on my own built windows computer lol. If I activated it, it would go to standby or hibernation (I tested both) and after it comes out it will load to desktop then instantly reboot. I tracked the problem down to DEP in the end >Confused< problem went away after I deactivated DEP Which wasn't as simple as ticking a box I had to edit a .ini because I'm using Home and not Pro, Thanks Microsoft! Got to admit for new users trying to troubleshoot a problem like this DEP would not be such an obvious culprit nor would they think of how to deactivate it without a GUI prompt. Something the Mac is quite good at.

I could only assume it'll just switch off in the end, what other outcome would there be for a portable?

And do you know what XP does under such circumstances? It'll wake up from Standby and immediately Hibernate. Hibernation shifts the contents of the RAM to the hard disk and turns off the machine so that it uses no power at all. When you get back home, plug the machine in and resume from hibernate, all your work is still the way it was.

That's an excellent approach, you have to admit.

Good timing BTW... I just read some of the thread, and scanned some more of the crap, and your post was then the last post in the thread, spot on! :p

585468324[/snapback]

Yeah, there's a lot of garbage being spewed out from both sides of the fence here. It's rather unfortunate that people can't have a friendly discussion without resorting to name-calling and just plain baseless bull****. :p

And do you know what XP does under such circumstances? It'll wake up from Standby and immediately Hibernate.

585468346[/snapback]

iBook can stay in Sleep for weeks though. If your going to have a iBook/Powerbook in sleep for more then a week I think you deserve for your data to be lost. my old Windows laptop wouldn't last an hour in standby :(

And do you know what XP does under such circumstances? It'll wake up from Standby and immediately Hibernate. Hibernation shifts the contents of the RAM to the hard disk and turns off the machine so that it uses no power at all. When you get back home, plug the machine in and resume from hibernate, all your work is still the way it was.

That's an excellent approach, you have to admit.

Yeah, there's a lot of garbage being spewed out from both sides of the fence here. It's rather unfortunate that people can't have a friendly discussion without resorting to name-calling and just plain baseless bull****. :p

585468346[/snapback]

Sounds like a good idea to me. Like i said, i have no idea how Mac's handle this situation myself, plus i don't have a chance to really find out. I'd like to say it'll save work in it's current state and shut down, but I doubt it very much...

Yeah, there's a lot of crap granted, but unless you have used Mac OS X and Windows XP extensively these threads aren't really worth commenting on, you generally don't know what you're talking about one way or another...

Fun though, some of the thing said are quite funny, albeit laughing with somebody, or at them... :laugh:

iBook can stay in Sleep for weeks though. If your going to have a iBook/Powerbook in sleep for more then a week I think you deserve for your data to be lost. my old Windows laptop wouldn't last an hour in standby  :(

585468361[/snapback]

Although NetRyder explains how this all works, the irony is that half the time, getting the machine to sleep in the first place is a challenge in itself. :laugh:

I am curious, NetRyder, maybe you can offer some info here, but at work the HP machine... When I have slept it, I can still hear it running, I can hear fans, etc. Now with Apple machines, its like Hibernate, there's no sound whatsoever... What's the deal there, do all Windows machines in sleep do this, do we have another dodgy situation going on, or what? *confused* :huh:

Sleep didn't work on my own built windows computer lol. If I activated it, it would go to standby or hibernation (I tested both) and after it comes out it will load to desktop then instantly reboot. I tracked the problem down to DEP in the end >Confused< problem went away after I deactivated DEP Which wasn't as simple as ticking a box I had to edit a .ini because I'm using Home and not Pro, Thanks Microsoft! Got to admit for new users trying to troubleshoot a problem like this DEP would not be such an obvious culprit nor would they think of how to deactivate it without a GUI prompt. Something the Mac is quite good at.

585468340[/snapback]

See, that's the problem. You're comparing a custom-built desktop to a machine built by Apple that's exactly like every other system of its kind out there...a machine that's gone through hours of testing and troubleshooting before it reaches your doorstep.

Apple builds the machine using very specific hardware components that eliminate problems. If you buy a notebook from IBM, Dell, Toshiba, Sony or any other well-known system vendor, it's no different. They build the machine, then run it through a whole slew of tests to make sure everything works as intended.

When you build your own machine, you're going through that testing and troubleshooting phase yourself. Hypothetically speaking (since it's not actually possible), if you were to build your own Mac with components and drivers that you select, it would be the same story. Of course, that's not to say that you can't build a custom PC that does go into Standby/Hibernate without problems. My desktop at home does it.

My point is - compare an iBook/Powerbook to a Dell Inspiron or an IBM Thinkpad right out-of-the-box, not to a custom-built PC with a mismash of hardware and drivers. I can guarantee you that the x86 machines will go into Standby without a problem, just like the Macs will.

in standby mode the fans and stuff are still working its like that so it can come out of standby ready for business.

I like the Mac Sleep on my iBook since I have a use for it, but it kind of gets annoying that every time I put the screen down it goes to sleep sometimes I just want the lid down while I move it from 1 place to another and still keep WiFi or some activity running on it while I do this. I'm aware of the 3rd party tool to deactivate this but there are overheating issues with the iBook when running in closed lid mode.