[Poll] Kde VS Gnome

Kde Vs Gnome  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Kde Vs Gnome

• Kde
    • Gnome
    • Other (please post)

Whoah, calm down there, Knight'. He never told anyone not to debate, he said that it was possible that GNOME & KDE are (in general) the same thing, and if that was so that some people didn't realize that. Let's just leave it at that, eh?

I think my new favorite window manager is enlightenment. I am currently using DR16. I plan to install DR17 soon.

• 2 weeks later...
KDE really needs to get its act together, a while ago I would have said KDE, but I'm definitely a GNOME guy now, KDE just seems too cluttered and unorganized to me.

585467811[/snapback]

like? I've no problem with kde and get everything working like I want to.

ok, personally i dont think you can ask "which is better". Both are highly customisable and can be made into anything you wish really.

However, i vote gnome. Purely because its what i use daily :)

XFCE

Seconded, I was a long time gnome user, and xfce is everything I liked about gnome, only much faster and simpler. (I had to install nautilus though, I can't get by with xffm)

Seconded, I was a long time gnome user, and xfce is everything I liked about gnome, only much faster and simpler.  (I had to install nautilus though, I can't get by with xffm)

585987886[/snapback]

I use rox and konqueror under xfce, and yeah xffm's tree structure is annyng.

Voted KDE

simple comparisons between both and the programs supplied:

File manager:

Konqueror - robust file manager, the most complete one i've ever seen. Untuitive

file browsing, with access to all the services available in yor system. Still lacks a bit of

polishing when it comes to image previews (the default setting can be customized here). It

can also be a very powerfull web-browser with tabs and usefull options.

Nautilus - spatial file manager a complete joke (who loves to have to close 20 windows after

a min of browsing...?); u do a temporary samba mount (not editing fstab) and u go to computer:

nothing to see there... ; wanna use nautilus on other DE/WM? be sure to pass the option --no-desktop

to nautilus or the whole GNOME desktop will be loaded with it  :blink:  , also you will not have icons on the  file manager;

"open with" options...  ever tryed to open a .wmv file? :laugh:

Nautilus is sometimes a pain when it comes to closing all those windows. But I like the compactness of it. You can change the settings to make it single window, can't you. I just use the command line for most of my work, so I don't really know.

Media Player:

KDE: has about 5 of them kaffeine favourite for movies, amaroK for audio.

GNOME: gxine no comparison possible with kaffeine, it doesn't even integrate on systemtray.

rhythmbox  :x

Okay, lets give credit where credit is due. gxine is a great program. I use it. Rhythmbox is perhaps the best audio player I have seen for linux. It is still missing some functions that I would like to see. I like the winamp media library better. I am working on an extension for XMMS to enable that function.

Panel:

kicker: plain perfect with a complete set of usefull applets and external panels, transparency

very well handled, taskbar applet very well built.

gnome-panel: the most anoying little thing on GNOME. They don't evolute this thing for so much

time that it feels like 1999 when u use it. Taskbar applet :x if you have only one window openned

it takes all the taskbar space (you can change this), ever tryed to use a program like amsn with it?  :pinch: 

systemtray protocol is one of the buggiest things in it and regret everytime of running some program

that uses it. The menu launcher only shows gnome tasks and programs, if you want to launch another

program that isn't from GNOME u have to go to the system menu  (...)

I have found both of the panels to be on par with what I want to do. I notice the animations for the kicker, but I don't see to many differences. And I have never had any problems with the system tray.

Control:

KDE Control Center: U have all the options here to configure yor Desktop aswell as yor system,

all very well distribuited and with tree view as default to save time.

GNOME preferences: very incomplete based on icons only.

I tend to like the GNOME preferences better than the KDE Control panel, merely b/c I like the way it works

Desktop

KDE: U can customize it all  :cool:  Have transparent window decorations, transparent menus

rendered with hardware accell, different wallpapers for every desktop, move to another desktop with a simple scroll, tell the windowmanager to remember the window settings for a specific app (eg. have no window decs on a console)

with a simple right-click on the windowdec.

GNOME: no option to have independent wallpapers on each desktop, no move to another desktop

on scroll (they should learn this little trick from XFCE), (...) Not a good window manager, it's based

on pixmaps only.

I was under the impression that GNOME did have a setting for different wallpapers on each desktop. I could be wrong.

IM client

kopete: Very complete in all the protocols. U can customize it to look like ichat, have the

conversation window transparent. How cool is that?  :cool:

gaim: Looks horrible, and those annoying litlle bell sounds erm... Buddy icons aren't displayed

right on every protocol...

(...)

585474689[/snapback]

I seem to like kopete more than gaim. But that is merely b/c Kopete seems to run smoother. I used gaim an awful lot during the first years of my linux transition.

Before anyone mistakes this post, I just want to say, that I don't use GNOME anymore. A couple of months ago I moved to fluxbox, and now I am happy with enlightenment. But when I did use GNOME, I found it to be the better of the two DEs.

--Alex

Edited by open_coder

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity I installed KLDE on my Ubuntu setup.  Played with it for about one hour and decide I preferred Gnome.  Some think the options galore of KDE is what makes it better, if that is the case then great for you.  For me it was too much stuff to have.  Gnome's simplicity was a postive for me rather than a negative.

As for th Crystal Iconset in KDE, yeah it is great.  So good, in fact, that I installed it in Gnome.  ;)

585469789[/snapback]

I agree. I've tried out KDE many times, but still prefer Gnome. KDE is supposed to be an eye candy? I don't think so.. I don't like the bloated feel and the Crystal gel icons. Gnome is simpler and easier to use. :)

I have to admit, that I voted for Gnome on this topic, but I've since given KDE a (proper) go and I've found it to be much nicer.

It took me a good while to get anything to work, and I still can't get Rythmbox to work (I prefer it's library - it has a prefs ID3 tag :) ). I instantly loved the Keramik theme tho, and switching Workspace with a scroll is a nice feature, much easier than clicking :p

Ooh, and multiple, colour blended desktops = hours of tweaking fun :D

I've tried both and went with KDE, when I was using GNOME, it just felt strange, the icons seemed bigger and there seemed to be less room on the screen. It just wasn't as smooth or crisp as KDE.

I definately go for gnome now that i have it configured to my liking and such. Also, I find it runs better on my PC.. .Then again using ubuntu and apt-getting kde just doesn't work out well. I have used KDE on other distros but chose say ubuntu over Vector because of gnome and the tight integration of the OS with the DE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried gnome, liked it, but very buggy.

Evolution crashed at startup could not even start it,

Gnome-panel crashed random, memory usage of the gnome-panel was pretty high.

The control center is to limited.

Gdesklet too limited there are not much themes.

Stability problems brought me back to KDE.

Overall light on resources.

Clean Looks.

Will give it another try if it is all a bit more stable.

KDE

In the beginning it is a resource hog, after a few tweaks it runs smooth.

Control Center is loaded with options to customize KDE.

Very stable, konqueror does has some glitches.

Superkaramba has tons of addons.