shift key stuck (not a keyboard issue)

heh...darn...

well im out of ideas man...

I know this isnt good advice, but seeing as how normal windows is giving you issues (and safe mode isnt), a format and reinstall would fix this.

585475349[/snapback]

Hehe... I'm sure a format would do it. Maybe just a simple reinstall... I dunno. I did find that if I uninstall the drivers without rebooting or reinstalling them, the problem goes away... but then when I try to reboot, I'm at that hardware profile selection menu... and it won't go away unless I plug the keyboard back in... Here's exactly what that menu says:

"Hardware Profile/Configuration Recovery Menu

This menu allows you to select a hardware profile to be be used when windows is started.

If your system is not starting correctly, then you may switch to a previous system configuration, which may overcome startup problems. IMPORTANT: System configuration changes made since the last successful startup will be discarded."

Then it has "Profile 1" available to select... and unfortunately, I don't have a previous system configuration to load. This menu is coming up everytime I reboot, but before this problem, I had never seen this menu before.

Anyway, thanks for the help you've provided so far. I appreciate it.

.."lots of stuff"

585475381[/snapback]

Hardware profiles tell your computer which settings/services to load at any one time, Say i use to have "Gaming" and "normal". For gaming i disabled certain services i wouldnt need whilst gaming, and normal i left everything untouched apart from the things i really didn't need.

Could you take a screenshot of the task manager for me? i'm seriousley thinking you have a certain 'joke' program doing this.

Hardware profiles tell your computer which settings/services to load at any one time, Say i use to have "Gaming" and "normal". For gaming i disabled certain services i wouldnt need whilst gaming, and normal i left everything untouched apart from the things i really didn't need.

Could you take a screenshot of the task manager for me? i'm seriousley thinking you have a certain 'joke' program doing this.

585475478[/snapback]

instead of taking a screen shot, why not give hijackthis a good run, and sav the log file....then attach it to your next post.

Alright, I'm working on a screenshot of my task manager... but when i try to save it in paint, the picture disapears, and then the paint screen goes back to white. This is very frustrating. Anyway, I'm not sure what hijackthis is. I'll try to do a google search on it and see what comes up.

nost_LM.exe

LMonitor.exe

what are these processes?

rundll32.exe, by the way, is something i saw on a machine i was fixing that had CoolWebSearch. When i killed the rundll32 process i could delete the bad dlls that where in use by this system executable. On MY machine, i dont have that process, nor does the machine when it became clean.

So it might be that...dont know...l

Found hijackthis... says the screenshot is too big, so I might just post the logfile.

LMonitor is my motherboard utility, I believe... it basically checks for updates every so often... and I have no idea what nost_LM.exe is...

Found hijackthis... says the screenshot is too big, so I might just post the logfile.

LMonitor is my motherboard utility, I believe... it basically checks for updates every so often... and I have no idea what nost_LM.exe is...

585477577[/snapback]

nost_lm.exe is the Manager for the Belkin Nostromo n50 SpeedPad game controller :happy:

Can't see any programs that look like they could be causing it, sorry mate :(

nost_lm.exe is the Manager for the Belkin Nostromo n50 SpeedPad game controller :happy:

Yeah, you're right... I just figured that out when I ended the task and realized the software for my nostromo pad wasn't running. ;)

Can't see any programs that look like they could be causing it, sorry mate :(

585477644[/snapback]

No problem... thanks for trying. :)

I decided to do a repair in the Windows setup after booting from the CD... it looks like it's reinstalling windows... Hopefully this will fix the problem. I'll post when it's finsihed.

I decided to do a repair in the Windows setup after booting from the CD... it looks like it's reinstalling windows... Hopefully this will fix the problem.  I'll post when it's finsihed.

585478523[/snapback]

Did it work?

Did it work?

585487593[/snapback]

Sorry it took me so long to post. I've been busy. It didn't work... in fact, the repair install made things worse. After it was finished, I was unable to boot into Windows, as my computer kept restarting. (So much for it actually repairing anything, lol) I couldn't even get into safemode... so the only thing that was left to do was to format and install, so I did. That seems to have fixed my problem. :)

Anyway, thanks for all the help you guys offered. I appreciate it. It's great to know that when you run into a computer problem for which there is no obvious solution, there are always people out there who are willing to offer their help and time. Thanks again. See ya.