WoW on Mac Mini?

Is anyone using their Mac Mini to play World of Warcraft?

If you are, what kind of frames per second are you getting at what settings?

Im thinking of switching to a Mac Mini but still want to play WoW...

Is anyone using their Mac Mini to play World of Warcraft?

If you are, what kind of frames per second are you getting at what settings?

Im thinking of switching to a Mac Mini but still want to play WoW...

585482107[/snapback]

I don't have a mini or the game, but here are the system requirements:

Mac? System OS X 10.3.5 OS:

933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor

512 MB RAM or higher; DDR RAM recommended

ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more

4 GB or more of available hard drive space

MacOS X 10.3.5 or newer

56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Sounds like it should run OK, so long as you get enough RAM.

It really depends on what your screen size will be. I've got a nearly maxed out 20" iMac, but the graphics card just can't cope at the screen's native resolution. (1680x1050) :(

585482361[/snapback]

I would be running the Mini and WoW at 1024x768.

Anyone doing this? Does it run fine?

There are a couple of results on Google about this subject, was reading them the other day when I was considering getting WoW. Apparently it runs fine, but obviously not at max resolutions. Apparently there is (obviously) lag in busy areas, but nothing worth worrying about.

Yeah I read a few of them too but couldnt find any that actually mentioned frames per second.

Oh well, I might as well bite the bullet and go the way of the Mac..... :)

I might have to wait though because someone wrote off my car this morning so I need to get a new one before the Mac *sighs*

Yeah I read a few of them too but couldnt find any that actually mentioned frames per second.

Oh well, I might as well bite the bullet and go the way of the Mac..... :)

I might have to wait though because someone wrote off my car this morning so I need to get a new one before the Mac *sighs*

585487105[/snapback]

Ouchies - you alright? Were you in it at the time?

wkd! i might just get WoW for my Mini!! I got the 1.42GHz model and will put a GB of RAM in and i shud be sorted! Also have a 20" Apple Cinema Display so thats a downspot for it but oh well :D

yaya, i game for me mac that will be fun :)

Thinking about it, it would probably run quite similar to Warcraft 3 on the Mac, which I have on the Mini - runs alright at 1024x768, except textures and the nicer bits are set to mid instead of high.

Ouchies - you alright?  Were you in it at the time?

585487108[/snapback]

Yeah I was in it at the time actually. Everyone is ok though thanks :)

I just sort of went flying over the A13 in Essex and landed in a bush. All because someone smacked into the side of me.....

Hey Scazza, if you get WoW can you post your frames per second please?

Yeah I was in it at the time actually.  Everyone is ok though thanks :)

I just sort of went flying over the A13 in Essex and landed in a bush.  All because someone smacked into the side of me.....

Hey Scazza, if you get WoW can you post your frames per second please?

585487165[/snapback]

Glad to hear your ok dude and yea, if I do get it, I post my FPS for ya (Y)

Thinking about it, it would probably run quite similar to Warcraft 3 on the Mac, which I have on the Mini - runs alright at 1024x768, except textures and the nicer bits are set to mid instead of high.

585487129[/snapback]

You would think that, but it does not, it runs worse because of the newer engine. WoW ran worse on my iMac than WC3 did, and same goes for my PBook, but it runs much better with the 9700 and lower res. I noticed even on my old PC, that WoW didnt' run as good as WC3. If you are running on a 20" display, good luck running WoW on the Mac mini decently :wacko:

You would think that, but it does not, it runs worse because of the newer engine.  WoW ran worse on my iMac than WC3 did, and same goes for my PBook, but it runs much better with the 9700 and lower res.  I noticed even on my old PC, that WoW didnt' run as good as WC3.  If you are running on a 20" display, good luck running WoW on the Mac mini decently  :wacko:

585487455[/snapback]

Bums :(

I might let it pass me by then, and just keep my FFXI subscription going.

Bums :(

I might let it pass me by then, and just keep my FFXI subscription going.

585487461[/snapback]

Hhhmm, so its not really worth buying a Mini for WoW then. I get 20-30 FPS on my lappy with a Geforce 5600FX Go! If the Mini cant perform then I may as well stick with what I have I suppose.

Im just getting fed up with Windows to be honest. I keep hearing how great OSX is (and its great on the eyes too) and thought a Mini would be the answer. :rolleyes:

Hhhmm, so its not really worth buying a Mini for WoW then.  I get 20-30 FPS on my lappy with a Geforce 5600FX Go!  If the Mini cant perform then I may as well stick with what I have I suppose.

Im just getting fed up with Windows to be honest.  I keep hearing how great OSX is (and its great on the eyes too) and thought a Mini would be the answer.  :rolleyes:

585487556[/snapback]

You'd almost be downgrading basically, the Mac mini has a Radeon 9200 32MB DDR in it, your GF GO may have 64MB. =/

Mac mini can run Wow, just I don't know how much detail level you will have to turn down, especially if you stick a 20" Cinema Display on, that'll just kill it. =/

You'd almost be downgrading basically, the Mac mini has a Radeon 9200 32MB DDR in it, your GF GO may have 64MB. =/

Mac mini can run Wow, just I don't know how much detail level you will have to turn down, especially if you stick a 20" Cinema Display on, that'll just kill it. =/

585487746[/snapback]

Yeah my Geforce has 64Mb.

Well, thanks for all the input. I think its best to save up and get a "proper" Mac, so to speak, heh.

Even at the lowest settings at 1680x1050 (and changing some config options to get it even lower) I was getting on average 20 fps with my 20" iMac, which is much faster than the mac mini. Indoors it was going as high as 70fps, but it just couldn't cope outdoors.

Even at the lowest settings at 1680x1050 (and changing some config options to get it even lower) I was getting on average 20 fps with my 20" iMac, which is much faster than the mac mini. Indoors it was going as high as 70fps, but it just couldn't cope outdoors.

585488314[/snapback]

I would hate to see what a Mac mini does at the 20" resultion then. x.x Considering it only has 32MB VRAM and is a G4.