Ok, so my mate is doing a game design and graphics based course at Uni.

He wants a kick ass computer for this,

so the simple question is if you had ?1500, maybe upto ?2000 and were using it for graphics and rendering, 3d studio etc....

Powermac G5 or pc built by us?

Thanks.

:happy:y:

PC with a quaddro card :)

there's no such thing as 3dstudio for mac :p (of course, there are its alternatives, though...)

if he's taking game design and stuff like that, i'd recommend a pc, since that's where most of the games are going currently (as opposed to mac), and that's prolly the platform that the course is gonna be using.

Mac > PC for graphics and video.

Anybody who says otherwise has an acute case of fanboyitis.

585488452[/snapback]

noooo... I just believe BOTH are great for graphics. And that makes you sound hypocritical. Please think before you post.

you guys obviously don't read his entire post..

PC for game design and graphics, it'll be much easier on your part, but first inquire what the uni recommends as the courses will tell you what exact programs you will need

Ok thanks, it is for our own work aswell, ut2004 mod work etc. So leaning towards a pc methinks. What processor choice would be best?

Are dual Xeon's really expensive? I was originally thinking a high AMD 64+, but maybe a FX-53/55?

Well, it'd be hypocritical if I had a Mac and said the above, but I didn't. I have a PC, I love PCs.

Maybe I shouldn't have made it sound like the last word, but umm... hypocritical isn't really the right word to use in this case.

Kerm: Intel processors are better for video editing and such than AMD processors are.

the key words are GAME DESIGN. normally i would say for graphics a Mac all the way, but in this case, definenetly go with a custom PC. not only that, but you could also build a much more powerful PC for that money. the stong and weak points of both...

MAC: EXPENSIVE for anything powerful. graphics and video editing, stable OS but NO GAMES. Im not saying there are ZERO games for it, but very few. Also a lot of the in house programs game companies use only run on PCs, including 3d studio max.

PC: Not as expensive if you build it yourself. graphics, and hell anything under the sun. GAMES... the majority of games are built for PCs, tested on PCs and played on PCs. Win XP is the most stable OS i have ever seen, but it like anything in life has its glitches- not enough to switch to Mac if You are ok in windows.

I love Macs, and I guess a dual 64bit processor based box is going to rock pretty damn well.

But i'd also say that a seriously well specced out PC could be just as good for a lot of tasks..

maybe 2 months ago i would have said go with a P4 with HT, but with Hyper Transport, 64bit arch and soon SSE3 incoprporated the Athlon 64 FX is the way to go and probably more powerful than any of intel's processors (even their bloated EE chips). PLUS Athlons excel at gaming and game debugging proggies.

Look towards the "silicon graphics" line of machines, thats what we used in school for MAYA, and 3D StudioMAX ;) But it will be cheaper to build a machine yourself. just make sure you have at least 21in monitor, thats the recommended size for the industry. Whats gonna cost you is the license to use the software, let alone the price of it ;)

I'm assuming you mean WinXP is the most stable iteration of the Windows OS you've ever seen, right? Otherwise, you haven't seen much. ;)

But I guess it really depends on what you're doing in terms of the game design. If you're just doing imaging and things of that nature, I think it'd still be better to get the Mac. If you're creating a game engine, you're probably better off using a PC since 99.6% are on PC anyway.

Xeon Based system, with a Quadro card, and scsi drives  (Y)

585488350[/snapback]

yeah, that'd be awesome. :o

I don't understand all the people who are perpetuating the "Macs are better for graphics" myth. It's kind of like the "PCs are buggy and crash every 10 minutes" myth ;). Maybe they're inspirational because they're cool looking or something, but I'm not seeing much of a difference, especially when he wants it for 3D game design I'd lean more towards PC.

I'm assuming you mean WinXP is the most stable iteration of the Windows OS you've ever seen, right? Otherwise, you haven't seen much. ;)

585488589[/snapback]

OS stability is maintained two ways:

1. Knowing how to build a proper PC, And properly configure your drivers updates...etc

2. Knowing how to properly maintain your windows instalation ( it's not rocket science) Both of these points ive made, work hand in hand ;)

Buy:

FX-55 Processor

ASUS SLI MOBO

2x6800GT PCI-Express GPU

2GB OCZ RAM

2x80GB RAPTORS RAID 0

IT WILL SMOKE A MAC. PERIOD. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. TOAST. THAT'S IT. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Buy:

FX-55 Processor

ASUS SLI MOBO

2x6800GT PCI-Express GPU

Workstation cards are for Graphic design, learn to read before you post, 6800Gt's are NOT workstation cards there GAMING cards.

2GB OCZ RAM

2x80GB RAPTORS RAID 0

Load times will be nice for raptor ins RAid config, but raid 0 doesnt offer Data protection, one drive goes bad ALL data is lost. Hence my suggestion for Scsi . Not only that raptors don't come in 80GB drives ;)

IT WILL SMOKE A MAC.? PERIOD.? NO QUESTIONS ASKED.? TOAST.? THAT'S IT.? NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
Lay off the caps and be more open minded regarding thee exact subject on hand.

Buy:

FX-55 Processor

ASUS SLI MOBO

2x6800GT PCI-Express GPU

2GB OCZ RAM

2x80GB RAPTORS RAID 0

IT WILL SMOKE A MAC.  PERIOD.  NO QUESTIONS ASKED.  TOAST.  THAT'S IT.  NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

585488640[/snapback]

Over ?1500 but yeah i agree. As of right now that looks the best system.

Add another 250GB WD for storage.

(Y))