Me think emulation may run all dx8 compatible stuff... definately not dx9 :( but thinking about the OS, driver, graphics, sound integration.... man o man! its the sleekest thing apple made. MS people just can't learn the freaky integration!! all they knew was to F their os by forcing people use MediaPlayer, IE, and now screwing Anti-Virus market! (not to forget firewall market and AntiSpyWare) gosh... imagine the money they made after XP... Bill Gates = money hungry beast!.... but yeah me not mind using good winOS if it gets better then apple... (after all that money they made...) :wacko:

The G5 man ;) However if you do get a PC wait for a few months until the Intel Pentium 4 VIIV EMT64 Dual Core Hyper Threading CPUs. A single proccessing system will be 2x Physical Procs and 2x Logical (HT) so all up 4 procs from 1 proc and if you get a Dual Dual Core Hyper Thread system you will have 8 Intel P4 64bit CPUs and I am pretty sure that will ABSOLUTLY KICK ASS!! :woot:

a couple of years ago i read that the pentium 5 is coming out in late 2005. is that still happening

585492895[/snapback]

No it is P4 VIIV now no Pentium 5 afaik

Workstation cards are for Graphic design, learn to read before you post, 6800Gt's are NOT workstation cards there GAMING cards.

Load times will be nice for raptor ins RAid config, but raid 0 doesnt offer Data protection, one drive goes bad ALL data is lost. Hence my suggestion for Scsi . Not only that raptors don't come in 80GB drives ;)

Lay off the caps and be more open minded regarding thee exact subject on hand.

585488660[/snapback]

Hi ripgut, curious, whats the difference between a Workstation graphics card and Gaming card, technically?

I see that the apple g5 comes with: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB

or

ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB DDR

Would these be considered Workstation or Gaming class, or Something else?

Hi ripgut, curious, whats the difference between a Workstation graphics card and Gaming card, technically?

I see that the apple g5 comes with: http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB

? or

? ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB DDR

Would these be considered Workstation or Gaming class, or Something else?

585494458[/snapback]

Those are Gaming cards bro well the ATI9600 is the 5200 sucks for gaming BUt you can game with it jsut not on a mac really :p :p . Workstation cards are made to specifically handle rendering 3D graphics, the drivers for these card work differently than gaming cards. they are more expensive sometimes. A good card i'd recommend is a Quadro FX1100 AGP 128:) :)

Edited by ripgut

G5 for Graphics. If you ask any BIG professional, they'll say Mac.

585488674[/snapback]

If you ask me I'd say no. Too expensive and the same work can be done for greater profit on a PC. 3ds max is Windows only by the way, and if you'll be doing game development (like I do) then you'll want to use 3ds max since it's used for over 90% of the games out there in some fashion .Link

With that said, feel free to spend your cash on whatever you want there is Maya of course but it all depends what everyone else is using since importing/exporting files from different programs is a pain and kills productivity.

Yeah, I'd go with PC as well.... Let's face it folks, the guy MAY want to play games on his computer sometime, he is a game designer. In that case I would get the PC. It's more usefull than MACs in the long run I find, and MACs are just so darn expensive. On another note, how are FireGL cards? I've never heard anyone talk about them.

oh god...

just get a damn pc. with that relatively limited budget, a pc can knock the pants off of a G5. get yourself a dual opteron and a few gigs of ram and a good video card and youll be set. dont listen to them, they are the fanboys.

see, the 9600/5200's that come with the G5 are...well....crap. thats about all you can call them. they are nowhere near 3dsmax claiber cards. they are for gaming, and are last years technology as well.

take a look at these cards from nvidia

http://nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

and these from ATI

http://ati.com/products/firegl.html

also, you can flash some gaming cards into workstation cards and save a TON of cash. google around.

I have both a G5 and a PC, what I can tell you is the G5 is much easier to work with and OS-X has alot of nice eye-candy. Dont listen to people when they say a PC sucks @ grfx. With the right hardware it can be great. Those are the same people who say a 9800 vid card sucks because its not a x800, yet that person owns a Voodoo3.

I will say most people in grfx design use macs, there is alot more vairety in pc(s)..

Some people that make games, and movies (CGI) ... use SGI machines (Silicon Graphics).

Id advise going with the G5, if youre not familiar with the pc. Usually if there is a problem, it takes one click of a button to fix it...

g-n-t, the exact same could be said of you, you've done nothing but bash Apple products in every post I have seen, you've even been as stupid as to do in Mac discussion.

wow how open minded we are :rolleyes:

585488397[/snapback]

I havent read the whole thread, but that comment annoyed me.

Macs are superior when it comes to graphics. I have worked on an old Power PC 166Mhz mac 384MB ram, and created massive 400MB psd's, throw that same file on a 1Ghz PC 512MB RAM (that was top pc at the time of using that mac) and it fell over itself just opeing the file.

Its not about openmindedness, macs are better, period. Go into a graphic design studio, and the only pc you'll see is the NT storage server. PSD's that are over 150 layers, working in real dimensions (eg 2 meters by 3 meters at 300DPI which is required for repro ready work), and you get PSD files in excess of 800MB. PC's just cant cope. And at the end of the day, its the megahurtz myth, and even more specifically the architecture of the CPU, macs use risc processors and they are far superior at intensive maths than the cisc IBM PC architecture, period.

I'm sick of this mac vs pc crap. Mac are better at graphics, period. If they werent, every graphics studio would be cutting costs, switching to PC's and apple would go out of business (seriously, Apple have their market, and its proffesionals).

Macs are superior when it comes to graphics. I have worked on an old Power PC 166Mhz mac 384MB ram, and created massive 400MB psd's, throw that same file on a 1Ghz PC 512MB RAM (that was top pc at the time of using that mac) and it fell over itself just opeing the file.

Its not about openmindedness, macs are better, period. Go into and graphic design studio, and the only pc you'll see is the NT storage server. PSD's that are over 150 layers, working in real dimensions 2 meters by 3 meters at 300DPI which is required for repro ready work, and you get PSD files in excess of 800MB. PC's just cant cope. And at the end of the day, its the megahurtz myth, and even more specifically the architecture of the CPU, macs use risc processors and they are far superior at intensive maths than the cisc IBM PC architecture, period.

I'm sick of this mac vs pc crap. Mac are better at graphics, period. If they werent, every graphics studio would be cutting costs, switching to PC's and apple would go out of business (seriously, Apple have their market, an its proffesionals).

585495686[/snapback]

BOTH are good FANBOY, And if they are superior then why isn't 3DStudio max not on the OSx platform?

how is waht i said wrong?

he wants a computer to run 3dsmax, and hten a bunch of apple fanboys told him to get a G5.

first off, the software doesnt even run on OSX!

and he has a limited budget, there is no point in ****ing it away on a nice case and pretty eyecandy. yes, its easier to get a prebuilt mac, but when you actually have to sit down and esign something, the pc will be a much more pleasant experience.

just ask my 3D animation teacher why he recently bought a bunch of opteron workstations instead of G5's. im sure hell be very happy to tell you that they are faster and cheaper. thats what he told us.

BOTH are good FANBOY, And if they are superior then why isn't 3DStudio max not on the OSx platform?

585495693[/snapback]

I'm no fanboy, I know what im talking about.

When it comes to the bigboys of 3d, do you honestly think they are using a PC? Sunmicrosystems workstations are used...

Its not about openmindedness, macs are better, period.

585495686[/snapback]

newsflash: he doesnt want to run photoshop.

there is a big difference between 2D design and 3D.

Again guys, the people in here are making suggestions based on experience, and arguments can be made for both sides.

I would see what kind of computer is used in class, or recommended by the professor and buy that one.

(I think its ridiculous people saying something is junk the minute something else comes out...)

By that standard I guess my 6800 Ultra now sucks since the x850 is 8% faster ???

BTW, 3d Studio Max is ######, i was just using it as an example for 3d graphic modelling software etc, we will be using decent software. Both compatible with mac and win so you can cancel that out of your arguements. :p

I'm no fanboy, I know what im talking about.

When it comes to the bigboys of 3d, do you honestly think they are using a PC? Sunmicrosystems workstations are used...

585495713[/snapback]

And i know wtf i'm talking about. I went to school for 3D animation and we all used PC platform and just macs for Photoshop, after that i transferred schools

and started going to University of computer technology They use ALL PC's too, sure that is jsut 2 schools. BUT thats just not any rinky dink tech school there accredited and well known. What your speaking is pure blindness.

And i know wtf i'm talking about. I went to school for 3D animation and we all used PC platform and just macs for Photoshop, after that i transferred schools

and started going to University of computer technology They use ALL PC's too, sure that is jsut 2 schools. BUT thats just not any rinky dink tech school there accredited and well known. What your speaking is pure blindness.

585495728[/snapback]

Jesus Christ (excuse my blasphemy) but the grammar of kids nowadays is disgracefull, and I see it everywhere on neowin now. Its you're NOT your.

And I'm sure alot if not most schools use PC's. Number one reason, cost.

(off topic)

Ripgut, thats a sweet looking campus, much nicer than the gigantic university where I went (Univ. of Texas) - not to mention Tucson is a great little town (Dirtbag's)...

Jesus Christ (excuse my blasphomy) but the grammar of kids nowadays is disgracefull, and I see it everywhere on neowin now. Its you're NOT your.

And I'm sure alot if not most schools use PC's. Number one reason, cost.

585495746[/snapback]

go go gadget grammar police :rolleyes: