98 on an AMD 64 stable?

DigitalFreedom

Windows 2000 Pro, BARE MINIMUM, don't go to the 9x operating system, stay on nt , and 2000 is probbly the best nt system currently, I mean xp is really good also, but I agree that for a gaming os, or something you want max performance, go with xp 64bit or windows 2000, don't go xp 32bit :)

panicswitched

98 is in no way stable

and even then you wont be able to use all that ram you would be wasting your money on

dont be a tool

install xp64 or just regular xp, 98 isnt even supported anymore

Simon-
your worried about stability, but are considering installing ME on a computer...... The beta builds of longhorn are more stable the ME. This is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. Install a nt os for gods sake.

and what anoying features does XP have, you mean like compatability with modern hardware and modern software support?

and why are you using 64 bit hardware if your not willing to upgrade to a 64 bit OS?

585501088[/snapback]

The beta builds of Windows ME are more stable than Windows ME.

Get Windows 98SE if you are going to use a 9x Operating Enviroment.

Not liking Windows XP is his personal preference though man, I would like him to consider Windows 2000 Pro, but there is nothing wrong with 98 for his needs.

And using a 32/16/8bit OS on 64-bit capable hardware is irrelevant because he has obviously bought an Athlon 64 for sheer gaming performance, not 64-bit/upgradability.

Cardinal

What are the differences in performance when running games on xp or 9x now? Very small I imagine, a few frames perhaps. You will have some trouble getting some new games to even run in 98. This is an idea that one would expect from a imbecile. Turn off FSAA if you are that desperate for frames. 98 sould be buried, let it die, half-wits keep reviving it's use. The benefits will be outweighed by the problems. Think no more of it, Years later when you are hopefully a little sharper you will no doubt realise that it was a pointless and foolish mistake.

Ivand
So you wanna run 32bit software on a 64bit CPU that runs a 16/32bit shell on top of a 8bit OS?

585501562[/snapback]

That question really made my day :rofl:

Fred Derf
k dude, I run Windows ME on the comp in my sig (in fact i am using it right now) and i have absolutely no probs (stable too man) altho i would choose windows xp over it any day. one thing: boot times are about the same for me.

585501997[/snapback]

You probably have a Socket 754 solution. ASUS' current Socket 939 solutions do not include 98/ME drivers.

macmax

dude !! go and install WinXP 64 BIT RC on ur comp and i guess its FREE :)

Lee G.

^ Yeah do that.

Or get a normal PC for Windows 98 - Windows 98 isn't compatible with 64 bit technology.

If you do put Windows 98 on that PC then dual boot with Windows XP

PseudoRandomDragon

If you are going to purchase a PC that has a 64 bit processor, then you might as well use a 64bit OS. If you don't like XP's bloatedness then you could use nlite to trim it down a bit.

Plus theres also the fact that Win98SE cant really take advantage (in terms of speed) of any more than 192MB of RAM.

kC_

unbelievable, what a waste of a system..

if there was an award for stupidest idea of 2005.. youd be very high up there :laugh:

if your after stability and performance, xp outperforms 98/ME in every way

This is the funniest thread I've read in the long time!

But dude, run Windows XP 64bit! it's a 64bit CPU!!! C'mon, you'll be wasting all that GREAT CPU POWER if you use 98 lol...

semaja2.net

DUDE wat have you been smoking and i know im going to get flamed for this but dude use windows 2000 if you dont want newer modern features of xp but support for 64bit and stability or if you have the money which you probally dont use win2k3 which is xp just improved and cut out crap but for the cheapest freeest option use xp-64bit rc1/2

Jim K

I don't reply much...but this thread just hurt my head. :argh:

Why in the world would anyone want to run 98 or Me (aside from not having the funds or computer power to use XP)?

What games (and please don't say Duke Nukem 3D) would you be able to play on a 9x system that you couldn't on XP? All the newer games are "designed" for XP....so you would be SOL when it came time to buying new games.

Please...lay off the happy juice and come back to reality. If you put a 9x system on a brand new computer...you're getting :uberhump:

Cole
I'd like to install Windows 98 or ME on my computer instead of using XP.

Reasons:

1) Quicker boot.

2) Only going to use it to play games.

I'm concerned of the stablility on newer hardware. Heck it would crash on my P3 with simple hardware. I have 1 GIG of RAM, and if I recall, there were some bugs w/ it crashing with a lot of RAM. Has it been fixed?

Also, I know that many games are increasingly geared for XP only. Are there still a lot of new games that also work on 98?

I'm not connecting this particular OS to the 'Net so there are no security worries.

My "workstation" is going to be in Linux now. XP has too many annoying features for me to continue using it.

585500979[/snapback]

From upgrading my old computer to XP, I found a 20 second boot time decrease. The problems I had with Millenium were unbelievable, I could leave the computer on without it crashing someway or another. Why don't you run Windows XP 32bit on one partition, and Windows XP 64bit on another? That way you could play games on 32bit and use 64 as your workstation. If you are going to buy the CPU you have, why not use it the way it was meant?

Ramble

USe XP 32bit. The Athlon runs in 32 bit mode anyway.

People who are saying run 2000 are almost as bad as the ones saying use 98. XP was basically a fix to 2000 to make it support more games.

Jim K
USe XP 32bit. The Athlon runs in 32 bit mode anyway.

People who are saying run 2000 are almost as bad as the ones saying use 98. XP was basically a fix to 2000 to make it support more games.

585541476[/snapback]

yea...can not figure that one out either. XP runs games better then any other operating system out there. Heck...you don't even need XP 64 ... 32 does just fine since there is really no 64 bit software out there.

Lasker

I think this guy when he started this post he was drunk, how in the hell u will install a damn old OS in a powerful system with 64bit capability, man u just made my day :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
soldier1st

i don't think the athlon 64 works with 16 bit apps but only current 32 bit and future 64 bit, this guy needs sense put into him, xp is the better one,i know i hated it at first but i got used to it after a year, i had 98 on my other pc but it was just for fun but got rid of it completely, now xp+sp2 is used on all pc's.

PseudoRandomDragon

Win98 isn't 16bit silly

rbet

or you can use Windows 98 64-bit edition

:laugh:

Yvo
XP has some stupid bugs in it. Not to say 98 doesn't either. And XP 64 doesn't exactly work very well as yet. MS should just make a Game oriented OS for the PC (of course, it would erode on their paltry X-Box sales).

And AMD 64 probably won't be very stable @ 64 bit for a few years on Linux or Windows. It takes years to get the compilers stable. I bought the AMD 64 for price, performance, power usage and stablility @ 32 bit. Its equal or better than the Intel for most stuff.

Sorry for thinking differnt than you guys.

I was asking for an opinion about wether Win 98 would be a good idea. You guys are trying to insult my intelligence.

Quit wasting my f***** time. I hate this form for this very reason.

585501605[/snapback]

Considering the type of idiot question you asked? Seriously any one with a little intelligence knows that a new system will not work that great with an OS that is 8 years old now. If you used a little intelligence before you posted you wouldn't had to ask the question to begin with.

It is people like you that make people in the IT world think... "People need to get a license before they get to use a computer"

Richardo

1) I'm a pc tech, and deal with lots of problem PC's. I can tell you that 99% of the time, if you're running 98 with > 256mb ram, your machine is going to crash with a VFAT error before you get into the GUI.

2) There are lots of new games that are only designed for the NT5 platform, like DOOM III

Even if 98 was great for gaming performance, those two factors above should push you toward a nt5-based OS. XP isn't that bad for games these days. When it first came out, existing games ran better on 98, thats true. But this is 4 years later, and games have been developed with XP in mind.

• 2 months later...
Jlo555

windows 98se would run perfectly fine under that configuration. the chances are it won't take advantage of 64bit technology, but it WILL work. just don't try to put in over 1gb or ram, or you'll be sorry! i was running 98se on my computer which i built just last year, and it ran perfectly. im actually trying to setup a dual boot of 98se and 2000pro because gta: san andreas doesn't run on 98 (stupid Rockstar games). this is the configuration that i run 98 on, when i do run it:

amd athlon xp 3000+

1gb DDR400

60GB maxtor primary / 120GB maxtor slave

ati radeon 9800 pro

creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs

it may not be a 64 bit processor, but the point is that 98 CAN run perfectly fine and stable on most new modern computers, and everytime ive run it, it never crashed! o, btw, I CAN'T STAND WINDOWS XP... from the playskool gui to the stupid desktop cleanup wizard... it just really ****es me off!

NEVER85
it may not be a 64 bit processor, but the point is that 98 CAN run perfectly fine and stable on most new modern computers, and everytime ive run it, it never crashed!  o, btw, I CAN'T STAND WINDOWS XP... from the playskool gui to the stupid desktop cleanup wizard... it just really ****es me off!

586106914[/snapback]

Wow...you think Windows 98SE can run perfectly fine and stable, yet you hate Windows XP, which is light years ahead of 98 in terms of stability and usability, because of its GUI. It takes all of 10 seconds to change the GUI to a Windows 98 or Windows 2000 one. Your reasons for liking 98 over XP are erroneous and shouldn't even be considered as a valid opinion.

Jlo555

thats not what i think, thats what i know from experience.

i have sort of a "history" with xp starting in 2002 when i first got a laptop. the xp installation lasted about 6 months before i finally formatted. now, back then, i was using 26.4kbps dialup, so i decided to not even bother with windows updates (wow, that was a mistake). i NEVER got as many viruses and adware in 95/98 as i did when i ran xp. in 2003, i was able to get win2000pro, which ran perfectly, with service pack 4, but no windows updates. i then built a desktop last year which i purposly bought hardware for that i knew would run on 98se, 2000 and xp, and guess what? 98 ran perfectly; better than xp ever did on any of my computers. anyway, thats the story of my hatred towards xp (especially xp home, horrible os).

my point was, and still is, that 98 can still run well on modern hardware as long as its maintained.

(hopefully, Longhorn will be a good os, but there's no way that i will upgrade to it if microsoft integrates DRM into it.)