wired home question

okay, our townhouse that the girlfriend and i bought had an option to have it wired with Ethernet. since it was built before we bought it, we only got it with phone. but! when we were painting the spare bedroom last week, i found that when i pulled the wall plate for the phone off, it was CAT5 cable. then i remembered what my A+ teacher told us. that it's becoming common to install CAT5, but only use two of the wires and hook it up as phone line. that way, when you want to go wired, it's just a matter of changing the ends and wall plates. so i have 6 rooms with CAT5 going to it and i plan on switching over. now i know i need to get a router with more ports. my question is this for those who might be in the industry. the box where the wires end up is on the outside of the house, out back. it's in a phone junction box. do they make bigger boxes to house routers for the outside? if so, what about the router being outside in this box, would it be alright? or would it be better to have the wires brought inside and have a place for that stuff inside? anyone who really knows this stuff to a T is more than welcome to PM me if you want. i really want to get this done sometime soon hopefully. the girlfriends office is in the finished basement, but she has to come up to the second floor to get on-line. this area is to congested for me to try wireless and the idea of having the rooms wired is more appealing.

thanks in advance!!

jeremy