Is midnight the start of a day or end of a day?

Actually I tihnk it can... with the help of a mathematical illustration

Take monday as day 9 and tuesday as day 10. where each new number is a new midnight. Ok, still with me?

[11:55] As we get closer [11:59] and closer [11:59.9] to tuesday [11:59.999999] the number '9' get's closer and closer to '10'.

So as in the above sentance you might have something like this: 9.7, 9.9, 9.99999 and then we get to 9.9 recurring, that is an infinite amount of 9s on the end. And then we can do the maths (just take '.999...' as the recurring decimal here)

x = 9.999...

10x = 99.999...

9x = 10x - x

9x = 99.999... - 9.999...

9x = 90

[divide both sides by 9]

9x/9 = 90/9

x = 10

Hence: 9.999... = 10

9.999... is the VERY end of monday

10 is the VERY beginning of tuesday

The two are the same point in time :p

So now you can see why I said both. :p

Beat that. :ninja:

585512579[/snapback]

Limits baby!!!!

The number gets too close to the limit, but never touches it.

It's neither. And I just noticed Cansokid is using my avatar. Gee, thanks.

The reason it's neither is because the previous day ends right when the clock strikes midnight, and the new day begins when the clock strikes midnight. Think of it this way: When you slice a pizza, is the line between two slices part of the piece on the left, or is it part of the one on the right? The answer is that it is neither -- it is a division point. It is simply a measurement of where one ends and the other begins. When you look at your clock and it says midnight, it IS in the new day, simply because it could be 12:00.00000000001, or something like that. It's still in the new day. Actual time passing is not digital. (When I say digital, I mean digital as in digits -- it's not played out as 1, 2, 3, etc.) It's just continuing (a.k.a. analog).

Edit: We simply use digital to measure it as best we can.

Edited by King Rilian

Limits baby!!!!

The number gets too close to the limit, but never touches it.

585512653[/snapback]

There are no limits because of it being infinite (the decimal places) just look at the algebra! :D It doesn't even matter if limits to apply actually because all the recurring decimal places get dealt with when subtracting.

Let's simplify the bit you're getting stuck on... The subtraction.

From the original

9x = 10x - x

9x = 90

let's try a similar thing with some simpler numbers:

1.2345 - 0.2345 = 1

Simple. Decimal places dealt with, applying the same (extremely simple) theory (of subtraction :rolleyes: ) you can get rid of the recurring decimals.

Dude, try actually reading someones maths before criticising it. :crazy:

I think it's clear from your complaint that you didn't.

THINK! :ninja:

There are no limits because of it being infinite (the decimal places) just look at the algebra! :D It doesn't even matter if limits to apply actually because all the recurring decimal places get dealt with when subtracting.

Let's simplify the bit you're getting stuck on... The subtraction.

From the original

let's try a similar thing with some simpler numbers:

1.2345 - 0.2345 = 1

Simple. Decimal places dealt with, applying the same (extremely simple) theory (of subtraction :rolleyes: ) you can get rid of the recurring decimals.

Dude, try actually reading someones maths before criticising it. :crazy:

I think it's clear from your complaint that you didn't.

THINK! :ninja:

585512800[/snapback]

First of all, Gheez don't take it so personal. I'm no math wizz and sorry if I said something that's not right.

Second of all, I meant "limits" as the subject >_>

not that there WAS a limit. :wacko:

Even though it approaches midnight, it never actually is midnight. You can say that limit is midnight, but you can't say that it is midnight.

And if you think about it, although 9.9999*10 ~= 99.9999... it actually ends with a theoretical 0. Therefore it doesn't actually equal 90 when you minus 9.999..., if you must talk about it that way.

Edited by Post-It Note

Midnight, literally "the middle of the night", was a time arbitrarily designated to determine the end of a day and the beginning of the next in some, mainly Western, cultures. Originally midnight depended on the time of the sunset and dawn, varying according to the seasons. With the advent of clocks and the division of the day into twenty-four hours, midnight was fixed at 12 am in the 12-hour clock.

Midnight now marks the start of the day in civil time throughout the world; however, some religious calendars continue to begin the day at another time ? for example, at dusk in the Hebrew calendar or the Islamic calendar.

Each day thus has two midnights, one at the start and one at the end. In the 24-hour clock these are written 00:00 and 24:00 respectively; the 12-hour clock has no notation for the midnight at the end of the day (it has to be written as 12 am on the next day).

Even though it approaches midnight, it never actually is midnight.  You can say that limit is midnight, but you can't say that it is midnight.

585513121[/snapback]

It is midnight for an infintecimal amount of time. Each tiny tiny tiny (tiniest..) "piece" of time is a 1 dimensional thing.

And if you think about it, although 9.9999*10 ~= 99.9999... it actually ends with a theoretical 0.  Therefore it doesn't actually equal 90 when you minus 9.999..., if you must talk about it that way.

585513121[/snapback]

I think you should have another think :p Where does this theoretical 0 come from?

I assure you that this mathematical stuff is sound.

i just refer to the time before i sleep a day, so the day starts from when i wake up.

yesterday ----> sleep -----> today

so if im up all night, its the same day.

585512608[/snapback]

WC Fields once said something to the effect of:

No respectable man goes to bed on a different day than he gets up.

There is a certain limit to how far you can divide time into smaller peices. So a repeating decimal of time couldn't happen because as we know it right now time can't be divided into that small of a peice. Plus, at some point the clock will have to reach 10. But I have to agree, 10 would be the start of a new day, and 9.9999.... would be the end of one.

Since for everthing that starts, another must end, its really both.

There is a certain limit to how far you can divide time into smaller peices.  So a repeating decimal of time couldn't happen because as we know it right now time can't be divided into that small of a peice.  Plus, at some point the clock will have to reach 10.  But I have to agree, 10 would be the start of a new day, and 9.9999.... would be the end of one.

Since for everthing that starts, another must end, its really both.

585521235[/snapback]

Time can be divided into as small a piece as you can measure irrespective of a clock's limitations. In theory, time can be divided even smaller than what we can measure.

ITs an exponential value E^x it never approaches zero we just assume it to be a very small value and hence we can never know when exactly the day ends or finishes, theres another way of looking at it psychologically, whether the glass is half empty or half full, optimism and pescimism (SP?) whether the day is nearing its end or is at the very beggining of a new day :D

x = 9.999...

10x = 99.999...

9x = 10x - x

9x = 90

[divide both sides by 9]

9x/9 = 90/9

x = 10

585512579[/snapback]

That "proof" has been proven wrong numerous times.

Actually I tihnk it can... with the help of a mathematical illustration

Take monday as day 9 and tuesday as day 10. where each new number is a new midnight. Ok, still with me?

[11:55] As we get closer [11:59] and closer [11:59.9] to tuesday [11:59.999999] the number '9' get's closer and closer to '10'.

So as in the above sentance you might have something like this: 9.7, 9.9, 9.99999 and then we get to 9.9 recurring, that is an infinite amount of 9s on the end. And then we can do the maths (just take '.999...' as the recurring decimal here)

x = 9.999...

10x = 99.999...

9x = 10x - x

9x = 90

[divide both sides by 9]

9x/9 = 90/9

x = 10

9.999... is the VERY end of monday

10 is the VERY beginning of tuesday

The two are the same point in time :p

So now you can see why I said both. :p

Beat that. :ninja:

585512579[/snapback]

they are not the same 9.9999999 is lim x -> 10 it approaches 10 but never hits it.

To be sure Sunday @ 23:59:59:99999999999....... is not Monday But Monday @ 00:00:00:0000000...1 is monday

Didnt any of you take calculus.

Wow this is an odd topic.

Alright. Military time, there is no 2400. It only goes up to 2359.

Sort of the same thing in regular time (telling). 11:59:59 PM is the end of a day. 12:00:00 AM is the beginning of a day. Midnight is midnight, and that is the beginning of the day.

Also, Sunday is the beginning of a new week. Although, Monday does seem more logical because it is the start of the work week.

they are not the same 9.9999999 is lim x -> 10 it approaches 10 but never hits it.

To be sure Sunday @ 23:59:59:99999999999....... is not Monday But Monday @ 00:00:00:0000000...1 is monday

Didnt any of you take calculus.

Wow this is an odd topic.

585524684[/snapback]

Agreed my friend.....