How to plug in more than 2 speakers?

Sorry to sound completely stupid but I've just started playing around with media editing videos, mixing songs etc. on my computer. I was wondering, on the back of my computer (i'm using the onboard sound) there are 3 plugs. One i'm guessing is for microphone, the other is for my speakers, what's the other one for?

I tried plugging another pair of speakers into all of them but they don't work.

If you can only plug in one set of speakers how do you get surround sound?

If I buy another sound card will there be more than one plug for speakers?

Ok then. If I buy a more expensive one will I notice the difference? i.e. there are some 5.1 that cost ?70 and some that cost ?170 will I actually hear a difference quality wise.

I take it 7.1 lets you have 7 satellites and one sub and 5.1 lets you have 5 satellites and one sub?

It also depends on the speakers whether you'll notice a difference or not. So you can get the more expensive audio card, but if your speakers are crap, they will sound the same as the cheaper card.

Yes 7.1 is 7 speakers + sub, and 5.1 is 5 speakers + sub

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy is in general the best way to go.

Try to get a 5.1 speaker setup that is THX certified. Having these both are a good way to ensure satisfaction.

I have a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum, and a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 speaker system, but I only use 2.1 I hooked up the 5.1 for a few days, then picked up the surround and center speakers because I don't need surround - only thing that comes out of my speakers is MP3s, internet radio and the occasional 'funny' video clip. If you had games that supported 5.1 and DVDs then I guess you would notice a difference. It all depends on what you need it for.

you can think about setting up quadraphonic speakers

using two set of speakers, two of the plugs, and still have another one for microphone/line-in

someone please explain further, i have it set up but i don't know much about it so i can't give acurate advice

BTW - I also have a HiFi link that I used to use. It is a USB device that has a USB port on one side and red/white audio cables on the other. I had this hooked up to a Sony receiver and Bose speakers - which I gave to my fiance for use in her bedroom. There is also a HiFi link that has an optical digital audio port at the other end, I think that version is twice the price. The sound quality with the USB HiFi link was far superior to this Audigy. I was given the Audigy and Inspire speakers, that is why I am using them. After I get married, I will go back to using the HiFi link with the Sony receiver and Bose speakers.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need a THX certified set, this is only for people who realy want the best of the best and personally I don't think those sets from creative are THX worthy.

You can get a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 card, depending on how your room looks like. Setting up a system with the speakers not in the right positions is useless. Sometimes less speakers can sound better than more.

Like Snipe said, what are you going to use it for? If you need this just to play mp3's then you shouldn't spend (much) money on this.

Want to play movies (DVD's)? Then it's worth it.

Remember, you're not setting up a home theater here. Don't spend all your money on a first set.

Read reviews before you buy something, they can be very usefull.

Good luck!

Pierreken

hmm is simple dude, buy one creative sound blaster live value it have two plugs for speaker's so you made one quadraphonic system sound, myself have ones and works fine with audigy drivers, still sb live is very cheap; in another hand depending who is your mobo is possible play with six channels too, in my mobo what is msi neo2 I have C-Media six channels onboard sound using Xear 3D software and only one plug for speaker's (Y) note: all two sound cards working at the same time, in another words into control panel/sounds and devices/audio simply choose which you want to play in this moment, no conflicts no problems :)

• 5 months later...