• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Wireless 802.11g Range, outside.

Question

Ph8l    0

What?s the range of wireless 802.11g??? Like have people had it work up to 400meters (1300 feet)? Or is this just a way to sell it? Because I would like to see if I can setup a wireless network for me and my friends nearby, 3 of us live within about 300 meters of each other.

5 answers to this question

EmuZombie    139

It all really depends on a number of factors... Interference being the biggest one. Interference can be caused by a lot of things, other wireless networks, 2.4ghz phones, microwaves, tvs, even computers themselfs.

Ideally with little interference and not too much physical matter in the way, (walls, trees, ect) you should be ok. Putting anttenas by windows, if possible, will help a lot because radio waves have very little problem going through glass.

From my experience, 802.11g has a great range. From where I'm sitting with my laptop right now, there are 4 wireless networks in range, not counting my own. (and on a side note, 1 of them is insecure and I could use their internet connection if I wanted, I've printed to their printer explaining they need to secure it but they never have :rolleyes: )

It's pushing the limit more then I'd be comfortable with, but the only way to find out is try.

Garrett Socling    0

I have found that aluminum siding and metal window screens (both usually found on older houses) are real killers.

Ph8l    0

With external Antenna will they have to be a good size? If so how big?

Matrix XII    38

Mine doesn't even work at 100ft... it's annoying.

Ph8l    0

Anyone else have any infomation for me? Which may help?