(FireFox users only) Have you ever Tried Opera?

Have you ever tried Opera?  

564 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever tried Opera?

• No
    • Yes - didn't like it
    • Yes -liked it but its not free
    • I use both ze Fox & opera
    • Other - explain

Well I am a Firefox user but I am making this post using Opera 8 beta. I have to say, this is the third time trying Opera out... I just can never settle with it. Theres way too many hassles with it that I got spoiled by Firefox because its so much easier in FF. Oh well though I'm gonna keep this for another day or two and see how things go. As of now, the customization is nice but why not make it fully customizable? Like I would love to make my own search bar, but I cant. I have to choose one of the preset ones. I would also like to put some of these things on the very top toolbar with the File, Edit, etc.. But its not letting me.

It's just these small things that bug me.

Also, some pages I go to dont load properly.

* Not free

* Closed source.

* Cluttered user interface.

* Less W3C standard compliant.

* Slow rendering.

* Slow development (Ex. 5-6 months between each beta/preview version).

* Less cumtomizable.

585515971[/snapback]

Those are terrible reasons not to like something. First of all, it is free, it's just ad supported. The user interface can be customized to appear very similar to firefox. It is just as w3c complaint as firefox, and also renders faster. The development is not slow, in fact opera adds many features before firefox does.

Your point closed source is the worst reason EVER to choose one browser over another. Just because a project is open source does in no way make it superior to proprietary software. What matters is the final product.

just want to refute the "opening a few tabs it eats my memory thingy".

585517077[/snapback]

Ok, so on your computer it doesn't. But on his it does, and he doesn't care how it runs on other machines/with other configurations.

Like I would love to make my own search bar, but I cant. I have to choose one of the preset ones.

585518272[/snapback]

No, you can have your own. Just edit the 'search.ini' in your opera directory.

Many people have posted about firefox being more customizeable that opera, or opera being cluttered, or not being able to move the tabs below the navigation. It annoyes me when people blatantly lie, so here's a screenshot revealing the truth

post-96385-1109188348_thumb.jpg

I found the opposite to be true.

Firefox consumed up to 200+ MB of physical ram alone by opening a few tabs. This is rediculous! Open more tabs and watch the usage balloon upwards to hysteria.

585515729[/snapback]

Maybe your stuff is broken, because that doesn't happen to the majority of us.

For a more serious answer... you probably didn't set the cache as most people with this "memory leak" problem haven't done. See one of hundreds of posts about it on neowin.

No memory ballooning upwards to hysteria with Firefox here. 43mb at this point, peaks at 90 with alot of pages open.

Tried it and it just felt odd. I dunno, it was hard to explain, but having to actually think about what I was doing to browse was not for me. I will say this, though... the default Firefox theme is so, so ugly. Opera wins hands-down, so good thing I can change themes in Firefox :p

yeah i've tried it, was a bit more bloated and the ads got on my nerves so i've stayed with ffx

585522439[/snapback]

Bloated means bigger. Opera is smaller. Firefox takes around 15mb of disk space, while opera takes about 5mb.

its not free, any company who thinks their browser is good enough to charge money for, even though i can get the same free features from firefox, is pretty arrogant.

585522563[/snapback]

Not really. They don't force it on you, Mozilla dosen't need to charge for it's browser because of all of it's sponsors, Opera dosen't have these :rolleyes:

Those are terrible reasons not to like something.  First of all, it is free, it's just ad supported.
Have you ever visited: http://www.opera.com/buy/ ? ;)

Ok, you dont HAVE to pay to use Opera. But then you need to accept the ads.

Firefox is 100% free.

The user interface can be customized to appear very similar to firefox.
Its cluttered as standard, but its customizable. Point taken.
It is just as w3c complaint as firefox
Then why do Opera have problems with a lot of websites? Which work fine in Firefox.

Like Gmail, my internet bank

and also renders faster.
On my Mac, Opera is noticable slower than my G4 optimized Firefox build.
The development is not slow, in fact opera adds many features before firefox does.
I've never seen Opera update their software daily, such as Firefox!

Actually it took them 4-5 months longer to push out the next version after 7.54 for Mac OS X than for Windows and GNU/Linux! :angry:

Your point closed source is the worst reason EVER to choose one browser over another.  Just because a project is open source does in no way make it superior to proprietary software.  What matters is the final product.
Can you point me to the Opera sources?

So I can add my own features, or compile my own processor specific optimized build!

Then why do Opera have problems with a lot of websites? Which work fine in Firefox.

Like Gmail

585522606[/snapback]

Google uses some none standard code, Something HTTP Request, not quite sure what this is but it isnt standard compliant :rolleyes:

Its cluttered as standard, but its customizable. Point taken.

585522606[/snapback]

Wrong, in the latest Beta's of Opera it isn't cluttered as standard.

The latest beta's even work with Gmail.

Many people have posted about firefox being more customizeable that opera, or opera being cluttered, or not being able to move the tabs below the navigation.  It annoyes me when people blatantly lie, so here's a screenshot revealing the truth

post-96385-1109188348_thumb.jpg

585522409[/snapback]

You didn't use the small icons. On purpose? Here's mine, and it's pretty customizable for me:

ss2005022404440418di.th.png

Read up first! ;)

Used to use it as my main browser back in the 5.x days (that was when Mozilla was the poster-child of how NOT to do open source development). I still keep a copy of it around, but never registered it.

Opera is IMO a superior browser in terms of the user-experience. Firefox has come a long way, but it still doesn't feel as smooth as Opera does. Opera's lack of dominance stems down to the fact that it isn't free though, which is a real pity.

585522660[/snapback]

Which brings up the question of why we are arguing about customization when you can modify both browsers to almost anything you want? I use both and I enjoy both; it's just a matter of preference. I mean come on, you can cut down both browsers until it's just the stupid window, no tabs or anything.

This thread should be closed, it's starting to turn into a flame war.

Which brings up the question of why we are arguing about customization when you can modify both browsers to almost anything you want? I use both and I enjoy both; it's just a matter of preference.

This thread should be closed, it's starting to turn into a flame war.

585522668[/snapback]

You started it :whistle:

Have you taken the time to make sure that these website which don't display correctly in opera validate? If so, please provide specific examples. If its not valid markup, you can't say that opera is less W3C compliant because it displays wrong.
On my Mac, Opera is noticable slower than my G4 optimized Firefox build.
And why should I believe you, instead of http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html ?
I've never seen Opera update their software daily, such as Firefox!
First off, the nightlies aren't 'releases'. They are buggy and not meant for general consumption, but for testing. Second, like I said earlier, regarless of whether firefox releases builds every day or not, opera adds a lot of features before firefox does.
Can you point me to the Opera sources?

So I can add my own features, or compile my own processor specific optimized build!

Unless you're a developer, proprietary vs open source shouldn't be an issue. What features have you added to firefox? I'd be interested to see them.

You didn't use the small icons. On purpose? Here's mine, and it's pretty customizable for me:

Read up first! ;)

585522642[/snapback]

I don't use small icons in firefox on purpose, because they are way to small and ****ty. My point was that opera could look just like firefox, which you obviously didn't get.