(FireFox users only) Have you ever Tried Opera?

Have you ever tried Opera?  

564 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever tried Opera?

• No
    • Yes - didn't like it
    • Yes -liked it but its not free
    • I use both ze Fox & opera
    • Other - explain

opera was what i first started to use when i gave up on ie, firefox eventually grabbed my attention though, what with how customizable it is to my needs. and the choices i have of what i want in a browser. although i enjoyed opera a lot, firefox does more of what i need it to do.

I don't use small icons in firefox on purpose, because they are way to small and ****ty.  My point was that opera could look just like firefox, which you obviously didn't get.

585522689[/snapback]

I did, actually... was wondering why you didn't use the small icons, is all.

Opera vs. FX is like Windows vs. Mac! :( Which gets people all itchy when someone starts a thread like this. But I'm okay, since I use Opera/FX/WinXP/Mac. Everybody should, then the world would be a better place.

i tried it but...

1. i didn't like the banners

2. it's not free

3. the user interface was way too busy and cluttered

overall i didn't care for it too much.

585515601[/snapback]

Blame Opera for the banners OR because it is not free but don't blame it for both. It's just not fair.

The free version has banners.

The non-free version has no banners.

I found the opposite to be true.

Firefox consumed up to 200+ MB of physical ram alone by opening a few tabs. This is rediculous! Open more tabs and watch the usage balloon upwards to hysteria.

With Opera 8.0 open right now and have 5 tabs open on news site, it is using 21 MB.

Never have I seen Opera crash. Never.

585515729[/snapback]

I just installed Opera and opened a few tabs. I got up to 110MB of RAM usage pretty quickly. It all depends on the content.

Opera is now taking 101.4MB with only this tab (Neowin) open. Yikes!

I just installed Opera and opened a few tabs.  I got up to 110MB of RAM usage pretty quickly.  It all depends on the content.

585522720[/snapback]

Opera Preferences >> History And Cache, Change memory cache to somthing like 20MB, restart opera. Open those sites again ;)

I acutally tried, Avant Opera Netscape IE

At first i wouldnt want to switch from Avant to FireFox then i really liked FireFox and Opera dint like it bcuz u need to pay, netscap iuno jus din catch my attention n well you know bout IE.

FireFox is customizable and fun and since i discovered the bookmark toolbar i havent been the same.

Also tabs mite use memory however who opens 30+ tabs?

Max tabs i have is 2-5 no more. So to me its not worth switching over to another browser for one little thing

Yes, I have tried it. No problems, really. There are just three reasons why I still use Firefox:

1. Opera isn't free.

2. For some reason Firefox feels more like home. All the extensions I found give me little reason to look elsewhere for a browser.

3. I'm not a system-resource maniac. In other words, I'm not going to spend half an hour monitoring how much RAM my browser eats. I got better things to do. Thank God I have enough memory to spare. The fact (?) that Opera is faster or eats less RAM just doesn't concern me.

That's pretty much it.

Opera Preferences >> History And Cache, Change memory cache to somthing like 20MB, restart opera. Open those sites again ;)

585522733[/snapback]

I set the memory browser cache to 4MB.

Opera takes 35MB with no windows open.

Right now with only Neowin, it's taking 84.3MB

Ya... I don't like it...

It's shipped with adds and whatever...

Paid? Why? FF is free so I don't pay...

End of discution for me.

Many people have posted about firefox being more customizeable that opera, or opera being cluttered, or not being able to move the tabs below the navigation.  It annoyes me when people blatantly lie, so here's a screenshot revealing the truth

post-96385-1109188348_thumb.jpg

585522409[/snapback]

You forgot extensions. People don't just mean Firefox's GUI is more customizable. It's function is also customizable with extensions. I'd like to know how to remove the new tab button from the tabbar. It's annoying.

I set the memory browser cache to 4MB.

Opera takes 35MB with no windows open.

Right now with only Neowin, it's taking 84.3MB

585522750[/snapback]

What version is this? I'm running Opera 8 Beta 1:

post-48339-1109193642_thumb.jpg

I use both, I also Use internet explorer, But out of the Three my Favortive is FireFox. Hey But each Browser Is good For Different Things I found out while using them. Some Are better then others In some web sites, and some Browsers you need for certain Web sites. So Thats what I Learned By using all 3. FireFox being number 1, Opera Number 2, I :happy: E Number 3. Thats order I use them Most.

I also like Firefox's customisation engine more. I have better control over it when i can drag it around. In opera you have to click in a dialog box ("i want the toolbar to be at the bottom") and you can only remove stuff from the UI by right clicking them and click "remove from toolbar". And i don't like that. I could accidently click it and I would have to look through lots of wierd dialogs to get it back where it was before.

In firefox you have to click "customize" before you can do that which is more right IMHO.

i used to be a Firefox fanboi, used it ever since it was phoenix ... i loved it, but found that i loved Opera much much more once opera got to about 7.5 release, ever since I have used Opera .... on pc and now mac :)

Im an ex FF user and moved over to Opera ADLESS recently

585522900[/snapback]

Yeah, you made it pretty clear in the Firefox Vs Opera thread that you cracked it, geesh :rolleyes:

Yeah, you made it pretty clear in the Firefox Vs Opera thread that you cracked it, geesh  :rolleyes:

585523058[/snapback]

hey, this is the Firefox vs. Opera thread...

... number 8192481. :whistle:

What version is this? I'm running Opera 8 Beta 1:

585522844[/snapback]

Opera 8 Beta (downloaded today) for Linux (Debian sid)

It also seems slower than FF with one tab open but performance doesn't seem to degrade as quickly, however, when operating with a dozen or more tabs.

Yeah, I've used it before. It wasn't exactly bad, but I didn't like it. For one thing there are ads, and I just didn't feel like getting used to/learning a new browser when what I use (Firefox) does the job fine.

I used it a long time ago when it wasn't so bloated on my Macintosh 603e. I've tried to go back but it's just too bloated. Firefox has all the features I want and nothing else.

Tried it. But, can only use it at home. For some reason the proxy's don't work here at work with Opera. At home I use it with no problems. That's the only thing I can really say I don't like about Opera. So, I use both.