iPod wont connect to computer

ok i have had my 4g 20gb ipod for about a month now.

about a week ago i had ejected the ipod through itunes after transfering some songs. but the next day i tried reconnected ipod to the computer using usb2.0 like i always have, but it doesnt show up on my computer nor does the ipod show the "dont disconnect" message. once i plug it in the ipod will light up and go to the main menu thats all. i figured it was a software issue and i didnt have the time to fix it so i left it alone.

so today i uninstalled everything, the ipod software and itunes. inserted the ipod installation cd and it asked to connect ipod to see if it needed format, didnt detect it, so i chose the option to install software anwyay.

i ran the ipod updater but it doesnt detect it either.

now how do i get it to connect to my computer? i dont know what else to do. it doesnt show up anywhere

• 2 years later...
ahh the reset of the ipod did the trick

thanx

i have the ssame probelm .. hwat do you mean by reset the ipod? do you mean the reset boutton on the ipod? or something else? help :(

• 10 months later...
Try multiple usb ports, try connecting on another computer, put the ipod into disk mode http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651 and then connect to computer.... reset ipod

ok i did all that i put it in disk mode did all that, it works fine with winxp but not vista. does vista and winxp not work with each other? do i need to format it before using it with vista? please help

• 3 months later...

This thread also gets bonus resurrection points for having: a two year bump; a one year bump; and a 4 month bump. Due for another in November.

Also, for a useful contribution (for a change), have you checked that the iPod is not on manual sync/disk mode? If it is then you'll need to click "Sync" each time, and then eject it. Does it charge when plugged into the wall? I'd try that to see if it's working at all.

• 9 months later...
Try multiple usb ports, try connecting on another computer, put the ipod into disk mode http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651 and then connect to computer.... reset ipod

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have an ipod with a cracked screen but it still lights up. I used it as a usb and put a lot of files insides.

2hours it wouldn't connect to my computer but it would light up and I would know its charged.

I know about the holding the select + menu but didn't know about disk mode. I just had to guess if

the apple symbol popped up or w/e. but thanks, this helped a lot. :)

I actually created an account just to leave a message to give my thanks haha

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have an ipod with a cracked screen but it still lights up. I used it as a usb and put a lot of files insides.

2hours it wouldn't connect to my computer but it would light up and I would know its charged.

I know about the holding the select + menu but didn't know about disk mode. I just had to guess if

the apple symbol popped up or w/e. but thanks, this helped a lot. :)

I actually created an account just to leave a message to give my thanks haha

Wow, a 2005 topic actually helped you!

Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around.

Thank you very much. This was actually the first site that popped up after I searched "ipod wont connect to computer"

and it really did help. I got my files and everything worked out.

Thanks for the welcome!

This thread also gets bonus resurrection points for having: a two year bump; a one year bump; and a 4 month bump. Due for another in November.

Also, for a useful contribution (for a change), have you checked that the iPod is not on manual sync/disk mode? If it is then you'll need to click "Sync" each time, and then eject it. Does it charge when plugged into the wall? I'd try that to see if it's working at all.

Didn't help me :( but mine is a Creative Zen vision:m

• 9 months later...

so i have the came problem. you know wont connect to the computer and such. i tried the reset and the disc mode and even reinstalling itunes. i still have no luck what so ever. any ideas on what to do next would be awesome. it charges off the wall charger and works just fine other than it wont connect. i just downloaded some new tunes and would really dig having them on the ipod and not just on itunes.

is my ipod just effed?

this is getting really lame

• 2 weeks later...

ok so my ipod is connecting to my car steriobut i dont get any sound, the tracks are playing but there is nothing coming through on the speakers, also when i connect it to my computer itunes will open but it comes up with a pop up sayng "an iPod has been detected. but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnnect and reconnect the iPod. then try again. i have tried evey usb point i have and that is not working, and i have tried pressing menu and select to reset and that is not working either, what can i do to fix it?????