How to maintain a healthy Windows System

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the great guide! I think you just might have convinced me to buy PerfectDisk... :D

586089254[/snapback]

Thanks, it's a great program. :D

• 1 month later...

i remember this post back in the days of old. i see there've been some small yet needed changes made. thanks for reminding me of some great progs. i reformatted and forgot about some of em.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, this post is in need of an update. I wrote it over a year ago, and now I'm out of ideas. Any of you got some? :huh:

Guys, this post is in need of an update. I wrote it over a year ago, and now I'm out of ideas. Any of you got some?  :huh:

586435988[/snapback]

I recommend, to add the services.msc to disable , remote registry and other security risks like remote desktop, secondary login.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I think if thats added it is a complete guide.

wow this is great for a noob like me. So if i get the recomended 4 AV's do i still need my Norton AV?

586490830[/snapback]

The ones mentioned aren't AV's ( I mention 2 AV programs near the end), they're Anti-Spyware/Malware. I'd use antivirus and antispyware program.

Guys, this post is in need of an update. I wrote it over a year ago, and now I'm out of ideas. Any of you got some?  :huh:

586435988[/snapback]

hmm...add some tips about general windows setting...like the performance and graphical settings,

hmm...add some tips about general windows setting...like the performance and graphical settings,

586493740[/snapback]

Will try, maybe at the weekend.

I've got some stuff about virtual memory on slower computers to add.

The title should be

"How to maintain a healthy Windows System for Noobs"

If you have used them long enough you already learned those, many times the hard way.

586494146[/snapback]

tru ...still nice guide :happy:

• 1 month later...
The title should be

"How to maintain a healthy Windows System for Noobs"

If you have used them long enough you already learned those, many times the hard way.

586494146[/snapback]

True, but it just sounds slightly harsh - don't want people turning away.

tru ...still nice guide :happy:

586494521[/snapback]

Thanks.

Q: How to maintain a healthy Windows System?

A: Dont turn it on.... :p

586494537[/snapback]

Or the classic one "Install Linux".

that guide was great..although i knew a fair bit of it, its always worth reading that kinda stuff...and like someone pointed out, how to optimize your system ie virtual memory and stuff like that would be great....

also outpost is a great firewall, i use it at home but isnt too good for networked pc'as it it was blocking certain things that i needed on the network

thanks for the tips on avast...im currently using AVG but seems like avast could be my next move

• 4 weeks later...
that guide was great..although i knew a fair bit of it, its always worth reading that kinda stuff...and like someone pointed out, how to optimize your system ie virtual memory and stuff like that would be great....

also outpost is a great firewall, i use it at home but isnt too good for networked pc'as it it was blocking certain things that i needed on the network

thanks for the tips on avast...im currently using AVG but seems like avast could be my next move

586703368[/snapback]

I need to update it, I'd now recomment NOD32. :p

Also, I've never used Outpost I'll try it out.

wow, very informative guide! Nice to know that people are taking the time out to help other people :yes: very impressed! (I knew most of that stuff already like but still very good for someone who doesn't lol) :p :D

excellent guide, but i have a question

the spysweeper that u posted is only the trial anyone where to get a free version that you talked about?

thanks

586840050[/snapback]

Thanks, and sorry. You have to pay for spysweeper, there is no free version aside from the trial. It's a typing mistake.