Installed Router. Now Oulook won't connect to Mail

I installed a LinkSYS router last night and went to chack my e-mail through Microsoft Outlook just now and it is unable to connect to the mail server. It was obviously working before and I have not set up any security through the router that would prevent programs from connecting. I am at work at the moment so I am unable to give any specific details you might ask. Is there anything general that I could try when I get home that might work??

When I get home (assuming it still dosnt work) post info that you need to help with a fix and I will post.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Check to see if your email is checked on some non-standard (standard is port 110) port then make sure that port is opened and not blocked by the routers default configuration. Gmail uses some non standard port if you check it via pop 3 mail so may your mail service.

I know that the internal router set-up (when i log into it through IE) can be set so that when a program runs it will use a certain port to connect (this may not be what it actually does but I have no experience with routers or networking so it may be different). My mail provider is Shaw. If I use this set-up that i have described to force it to connect to the Shaw port will it then work. (Again I have no idea about routers or ports and stuff like that).

I will post a screen shot of the set-up when I get home....in 5hrs....its a long day.

Edited by Scizzot