Dolby Virtual

Some new TVs have what is called Dolby Virtual. giving a surround feeling through 2 speekers. now what i want to know is how can it distingish between front and rear sounds through only the right and left audio cables. and are there any programs on the PC that deal with virtual surround with the option to alter the volume of the front/rear/center virtual sounds. Thank you in advance.

Yes I know that but how does it know what sound is supposed to sound as from a front speaker and what sound is supposed to sound as from the rear speaker through only right and left audio inputs? and any computer programs that deal with this subject?

Eh why do you have the same thread in two different places?

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=290119 I know you are new but it is frowned upon to open the same thread twice... As to your question, the reason it knows what sound should come from where is because it has a decoder built into the TV, but it is not really true surround, I used it a while back and it is pretty bad

Dolby Virtual tries to generate a 3D soundfield by screwing around with the phases of both speakers. To have it work decently, you need to set the thing up correctly. If it's the speakers in the TV, they're set up already, since they're fixed in the frame. Some stereo system with Dolby Virtual needs to be set up, params like speaker positions, direction and all that. After you're done that, you need to make sure that you sit in the sweet spot of the soundfield, and that phase-shifting interference field crap doesn't allow too much tolerance.

Yeah, that was a long way of saying Dolby Virtual sucks.