BackupFox 0.6

Great work like it alot. Suggestion though, might want to exclude extensions. When updating or installing a new version sometimes you have to delete the extension folder cuase firefox and tbird wont start. Look in the mozilla forums you will see what I mean it comes up a good bit. Have you told anyone from the mozilla forums yet about cuase I am sure they would like to know there is a another program to backup firefox and thunderbird. Most replies for backup programs is there is only one and its discontinued.

Thunderrooster: I am not aware of any such problem. I remember MozBackup used to have such issues, but to my experience BackupFox has a success rate of 100%. Anyway, I have not posted about BackupFox anywhere but here.

I've just joined this forum. The software seems great but unable to make it work on my pc. I use xp home & tries 0.73 & 0.72. I download it, extract it to a new folder, works fine but created a backup file of 22 bytes !!! Created a new profile, then it created a backup file on 3xx KBs. I tried a backup on thunderbird too but same result.

And please what is that admin thing people are talking about?

Thanks for helping

Sid

Edited by Sid The Kid

Staind, backup files is usually small when cache is excluded. Oh, and I might be opening the source (VB :( ) soon so it can be ported to other OSes. Anybody willing to do this?

OMG! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! you saved my life...errr.....mozilla/firefox! w007!!!

I've just joined this forum. The software seems great but unable to make it work on my pc. I use xp home & tries 0.73 & 0.72. I download it, extract it to a new folder, works fine but created a backup file of 22 bytes !!! Created a new profile, then it created a backup file on 3xx KBs. I tried a backup on thunderbird too but same result.

And please what is that admin thing people are talking about?

Thanks for helping

Sid

585671669[/snapback]

Okay, please check this: C:\Documents ad Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

(replace USERNAME with your own) Does this file exists? If yes, do you mind posting its contents?

Okay, please check this: C:\Documents ad Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

(replace USERNAME with your own) Does this file exists? If yes, do you mind posting its contents?

585673537[/snapback]

Yes the file exist, and for profile0, the Name is the same as my profile folder name.

Maybe I should have told you earlier that my profile folder is not at it's default location: I created a folder in E: and i've always been using it as my profile folder (and I encountered no problem with it)

And no problem I can send you it's content or the file (but where) if you want

Thank you

Edited by Sid The Kid

Ah... thats what I thought. BackupFox needs profiles to be in the default location. I'll add support for absolute profile paths in a future version.

I've tried to use the program to transfer all my settings from my laptop to my home pc. I've never been able to recreate the tab-settings from my laptop on another installation of Firefox, so copying it would be very nice.

Unfortunatly, it isn't working, but maybe I'm doing something wrong:

- I've installed Firefox 1.0.2. on my home pc, same version as on my laptop, everything in default locations

- Created a backup of my laptop with backupfox 073

- Loaded the backup onto my home pc

- and then nothing, just a blank screen with, unclickable, TNR letters. I've attached a screenshot.

Raptor: what can I do?

Thnx.

post-30847-1111838496.jpg

Ah... thats what I thought. BackupFox needs profiles to be in the default location. I'll add support for absolute profile paths in a future version.

585673952[/snapback]

Ok thanks.

I tried the software with default location profile folder, worked fine and it has that thing I was looking for and which was missing in Mozbackup: backup &restore of chrome.rdf

Also, I noticed that the restored profile will only work correctly if the bckup file is restored in the same profile folder it was backuped from. Please confirm me it is normal (is that due to the entries in chrome.rdf?)

I think all these problems would not exist anymore with FF 1.1 as (I heard it somewhere) profiles will work with any profile folder even if it is moved etc. Can someone confirm?

Thanks

i have my profile at the default location and it only creates a file of 1k

Profile folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Daeron Tin?viel\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

The profiles.ini exists:

[General]

StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]

Name=default

IsRelative=0

Path=C:\Documents and Settings\Daeron Tin?viel\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

Default=1

any ideas?

with thunderbird happens the same thing

Sid the Kid: Yes, due to enties in some files within the profile, it has to retain directory structure. I cannot confirm the Firefox 1.1 question though (If its true, then it's good news for everyone).

Daeron Tin?viel>: Your profile uses absolute path, not relative. BackupFox only works with default profile path (relative to Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox and equal to Profiles\profilename).

As you can see, you don't:

IsRelative=0

Path=C:\Documents and Settings\Daeron Tin?viel\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

#1: Your path isnot> relative

#2: Your path isnot> equal to Profiles\profilename

For example, mine:

IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/iwm374pl.default

/Raptor

Are the users named the same (not the profiles, the Windows user accounts)? I had no trouble restoring my profile on a different pc (with different username) but you never know!

Edited by nw_raptor