"Hacking" my own system.

Question

nX07

I want to try some "hacking" if you will on my own systems, however, since they are on the same network, would it not be technically "easier" to do then if it was another system entirely?

When I say easier I mean since I am like connected to eachother on basically the same wires is it not even hard disregarding the fact that I have full access to all of them anyway?

8 answers to this question

_elysium

more info!!@$

do you have any other pc's on the same network?

Sometimes its easier doing intrusion testing from an external PC

If you're on the internet and brave, you could post your IP address and let people here hack you ;)

vincent

Use Linux

nX07

LoL I dont think im up for that risk at the time being lol'

I do have access to other computers on the internet of which I can connect to, but I figure if I set things up wrong on my side it would be quite difficult to go back home and fix them lol

_elysium

ripgut was pretty right, linux has lots of open source software available for network intrusion / security testing..

I guess your first step would be a portscanning the target machine..

thats the first thing i'd do :>

are you running a firewall of any sort?

I guess the target machine is a windows box, so its probably not secure at all.

anyway, always remember no computer is 100% secure.

;)

struct

depends. if you want to test the computer security itself, LAN is fine. if you want to test the router / firewall security, WAN is needed.

nX07

Yeah I want to be able to test firewall security mainly, and I figured if it was on a LAN it wouldnt work. So I guess I need to try it thru the internet.

Thanks alot for everyone's help, greatly appericated!

Caledai

Not necessarily. try doing a scan of your network, to your router's public IP. Not sure if it will recognise this as internal traffic though.

pooljunkie73

It all depends whether you have a hardware or software firewall on your target computer. If you have a software based firewall on it you can test it on the LAN no problems. If its hardware based you would need another firewall in front of the machine. My suggestion would be to get a Live CD version of Linux that is security based, such as Knoppix STD and play around with it.