[UK] Some urgent help and advice.

Hey all, first post here i think. LoL.

Anyways, more to the important stuff.

We have just moved from BT Yahoo! Broadband to AOL Broadband(Platnium...sp?).

We ordered it Last Wednesday/Thursday(23rd/24th Feburary) and we were able to get onto the internet This Thursday(3rd March).

My package is 2Mbit ADSL with no bandwidth cap. But currently, we are on their Silver package which is a 256K ADSL Connection. I have contacted AOL asking what was going on since we ordered the Platnium(sp?) package but we have been put on the silver package. They responded saying we would be upgraded to the Platnium package within the next few days.

So basicly here is my question. Are they messing us about or something? Our contract starts on the 10th March since they offer a 7day cooling off period before the contract starts(or when the contract begins, i don't know).

Our Line is 2Mbit enabled since our broadband router is reporting 2Mbit speeds.

Its just a general question. I hope someone responds fast, since we are on a timer here.

Thankyou all,

DarkWater.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking? Sounds to me like you're package will be updated in the coming days, and all will be well, unless you are asking something specific, and I mis-read the post?

Sorry Steve, i'll briefly explain what i really ment.

Our broadband was activated on Thursday 3rd March. We were expecting to be using the platnium package so we can take full advantage of 2Mbit connection. But for some reason, they have put us on a lower package; 256k connection.

So we phoned them up and they said something that it may take a few days before we can use the Platnium service. Since our Cooling off period began on the 3rd March. We have 7 days to test the connection to see if its right before our contract begins.

All i am saying is, i don't want to be trapped with a contract with a bad speed, do you get what i mean? I just want to make sure that they don't con us into staying with them when they ain't fully providing the service(yet) we have no gurantee that we will be upgraded since they put us on this silver package.

Also, on another point. ISP say that it takes 7-10 days before broadband is enabled. Since we are in our 8th/9th day since we ordered the ADSL, could it be that they are waiting for the 10th day to upgrade our account?

I am just alittle concerned, they said we could have broadband by this thursday, and when we got it, we were disappointed in speeds we are getting.

They can't force you to stay on the service and I see your point about the 7day cooling off period but that will apply to upgrades at the start I am sure.

Well you did choose AOL so you have a right to feel insecure ;)

AOL became big by ripping people off, but now they are 'probably' on the straight and narrow.

The biggest worry I have found is that their software dominates your online experience. Sorta like spyware but you asked for it.

If you want to know alternatives try www.adslguide.org

In particular http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp, you can compare services and then do a bit of googling to see what people think.

Well you did choose AOL so you have a right to feel insecure ;)

AOL became big by ripping people off, but now they are 'probably' on the straight and narrow.

The biggest worry I have found is that their software dominates your online experience.  Sorta like spyware but you asked for it. 

If you want to know alternatives try www.adslguide.org

585570333[/snapback]

Thats the fun thing, i don't have to use the software since i have a router :p

I would try other places, but since everyone is doing 30GB caps or whatever, AOL seems to be the best option.

Larney - They have told my mum that they will start the contract on the 10th March, we need to let them know before that date if we want to cancel or carry on, or the contract will start automaticly.

Lol, nice touch :)

585570346[/snapback]

AOL's tech support is crap thou. I phoned them up 3 times with complaints that i couldn't connect because my router was saying there was a invalid username or password. They were trying to make my mum pay ?89.99 for a new router so they can see what the problem is. My mum phoned up and complained, they turned around and passed her onto the sales department to find out that there was something wrong with the actual account not being enabled.

I could only suggest you speak to AOL, with your concerns, I see what you're saying. Ideally, you want the full 7 days of service with your Platinum package, before the contract commences' that's fair enough, and it was apart of the agreement offered to you when you signed up. It appears AOL made the error, question is are they going to care about extending the '7 day cooling of period' to compensate for their own mistake. Unfortunately I think you'll only get the peace of mind, by calling AOL and asking them yourself mate. :(

AOL's tech support is crap thou. I phoned them up 3 times with complaints that i couldn't connect because my router was saying there was a invalid username or password. They were trying to make my mum pay ?89.99 for a new router so they can see what the problem is. My mum phoned up and complained, they turned around and passed her onto the sales department to find out that there was something wrong with the actual account not being enabled.

585570363[/snapback]

Sales....doing a better job than tech support....that's gotta tell you something.

Well, about 4 hours ago. We receieved a modem off AOL(A standard USB ADSL Modem) I plugged it in etc. It got into the AOL 9 browser ok. Then suddenly, our 2Mbit was enabled. So i quickly disconnected the new modem and plugged our router back in. And it was still working :)

Well, we are happy now. Thankyou for all your advice :) See you all around the board :)

hey guys, abit off topic, but was wondering whether the AOL service is any good? im mmoving house and so far this looks the best package.

But i have 2 questions:

Wot are the conections for the platinum modem,

Can I conect to my Linksys wireless router?

hey guys, abit off topic, but was wondering whether the AOL service is any good? im mmoving house and so far this looks the best package.

But i have 2 questions:

Wot are the conections for the platinum modem,

Can I conect to my Linksys wireless router?

585573014[/snapback]

The service seems to be good at the moment, hitting at around 220Kb's on average.

And yes you can connect your router to it :) Its the same as any other ISP, type in the username and password into the Router and connect via PPPoA VC-Mux.

ok thanks im going to go with AOL then , An extra ?5 gets me an extra mb of conection, compared to telewest.

Its just ive hered a couple of reports saying its hard finding a adsl conection allowing you to connect via a router, something about usb rather than ethernet or something

ok thanks im going to go with AOL then , An extra ?5 gets me an extra mb of conection, compared to telewest.

Its just ive hered a couple of reports saying its hard finding a adsl conection allowing you to connect via a router, something about usb rather than ethernet or something

585573160[/snapback]

Some ISP's don't liek people using more than on PC to use their service. Just make sure that your Router can connect to your phonebox using a Rj11 cable. Some Routers are designed for Wireless Routing or Cable Routing only.

ok thanx i will have to look into this then before i buy, i saw a package at our local Dixons, which contained a belkin wireless G card, a wireless G card 4 laptop n a usb 4 the desktop. All this was in a gold package, but would they change it when i rang up to platinum?