LongHorn 5XXX Preview

Perhaps I'd like to see improved paint (based on Picture Express 10) and Wordpad. Plus the calculator should be based of MS Calculator Plus and include graphing features (like one of the powertoys).

Perhaps I'd like to see improved  paint (based on Picture Express 10) and Wordpad. Plus the calculator should be based of MS Calculator Plus and include graphing features (like one of the powertoys).

585683009[/snapback]

but then theyd have to support them :laugh:

Where have you got the text writer info from?

585663151[/snapback]

If TextWriter will be included with Longhorn, it makes far too much sense for it to replace WordPad (as opposed to Notepad, the oldest Windows applet, which has been around from *literally* the first version of Windows) *because*, like WordPad, it's based on Microsoft Word (albeit a newer version of Word).

WordPad (originated in Windows 95) replaced Windows Write for a reason: the biggest complaint with Write was that it couldn't handle documents created in Microsoft Word. However, WordPad is *itself* long in the tooth; worse, it can't handle watermarked documents (introduced in Word 2003). Also, Microsoft wants to get rid of the severely underbought Microsoft Works (in favor of an Office Home Edition consisting of Word, Excel, and Publisher). TextWriter is meant to fix the compatibility issues with certain Word-sourced documents, while, like WordPad itself, offering a smooth upgrade path to Word (the TextWriter screenie showed a watermarked document, likely from Word 2003).

While I *personally* don't have the watermarked document compatibility issue, it's *because* I have Microsoft Word; a lot of folks would rather not be forced to buy Word simply to address this issue (and as good as alternative applications such as StarOffice and OpenOffice are, when it comes to non-text documents in Windows, the typical format is still that of Microsoft Word). Also, Microsoft has to do something about the growing discontent in the Court Of Public Opinion over being *forced* to buy Word because of document-incompatibility issues. With WordPad needing a replacement, and Works being dropped, TextWriter makes sense.

just an update

"On March 23, 2005, I removed the previously added images at Microsoft's request. " -from winsupersite

dont know if its been mentioned already

those 3 new images were removed. im likin the admin password thing