Writing an App for Mac OS X ?

Cocoa Dev Central is a good place to start. It'll walk you through from the basics to the advanced fun. Cocoa really is a treat to learn and use. Most Cocoa developers you run by will swear by it and its ease of use.

im in the process of learning obj-c myself so i can start coding for my new mini mac. i didnt get much done yet since i was studying for my math midterm but now that im done i can finally try to get comfortable with obj-c so i can finally write some real apps, my first project is most likely going to be an msn client (because i cant find one that i like for OSX)

so whats the difference between using Cocoa and X-Tools ? Im a total noob to this, so just wondered :)

TIA

585588352[/snapback]

I assume that you meant Xcode right? Cocoa is an API (decended from OpenStep/NeXTStep API) which is fully OO. There is also a more C-like API called Carbon which is used for backwards compatibilty. Unless you want to target both OS X and OS 9, you would only be using Carbon if you are interfacing with things like Quicktime.

Cocoa is somewhat like .NET whereas Carbon is more like the Win32 api. It's familiar to older programmers who have been on the platform since the OS 8-9 days or before.

Xcode is of course the IDE for OS X.

BTW. You can code against Cocoa with Objective-C, Java, Applescript and several other languages.