Wireless Network/Hardware

Hey all,

I recently got a Mac Mini which was my first Mac and has already become my desktop computer. Through using the Mini and being well impressed with OSX I will be looking to purchase a laptop in the near future, probably 3 months down the line. I will probably go with the PowerBook.

Now, when I get the PB I will be wanting to connect it to my Mac Mini wirelessly. I want to be able to have access to files on my Mac Mini, my main desktop computer with most of my work files on it, wirelessly. I also want to be able to surf the net on my PB wirelessly from anywhere in my house.

Now I ain't up on all of this wireless malarkey so I wouldn't know where to start! My Mac Mini doesn't have an Airport Extreme Card built in but I could always get my local Apple Dealer to fit one for me if needed. I currently have a wired router connected to my Mini via Ethernet. Would this be ok for Wireless use, or would I need a Wireless router? If anyone could explain what equipment I would need to do what I want then that would be great.

Cheers guys!

Kind Regards,

Lee

Ok. thanks for the quick responses you guys.

As I say, I know nothing about networking, nevermind all this wireless malarkey! I just need to know what I need in order to do what I mentioned above. Surf the net wireless from downstairs in my house, Mac Mini and Router are upstairs, and have access to files on my Mac Mini wirelessly. Just need to know what equipment I would need.

So, I definitely need a Wireless Router, I will get an Airport Extreme Card built into the PB, but do I need one fitting inside my Mac Mini? Also, will I need anything else, such as an Airport Extreme Base Station?

Thanks guys!

Be great if someone could post almost like a flow chart. Sort of like:-

Wireless Router -> Mac Mini > PowerBook (via Aiport Extreme) or something?

Thanks again!

Your right with your list,

The mac mini does not need a airport card unless you want to remove the cable.

Your Wifi base station can connect to your existing router and will have an ethernet port on it

you can purchase the airport extreme base station but for the price of them any branded base station like linksys or netgear etc etc will work just as well.

You will need:

1. Airport Extreme card for Mac mini.

2. Airport Extreme card for PowerBook (when you buy one)

3. Wireless Router.

The wireless router can be anything, DLink, Linksys or Airport Extreme Base Station.

edit: I know I have the mini connected via a wired connection, it should have been wireless just like the Powerbook. :$

post-32225-1110416116_thumb.jpg

I think that the easiest setup for you will be like that:

1) An Airport Express (the wireless router) which you connect to your router by ethernet cable.

2) An Airport Extreme card for your mac mini, that can connect wireless to the Airport Express

3) The powerbook will come with an Airport Extreme card in it, so you don't need anything more with the powerbook.

With this solutions, all the 2 macs can share the internet connection, and share files wirelessy... no matter where you are.

Hope this helps...

I think that the easiest setup for you will be like that:

1) An Airport Express (the wireless router) which you connect to your router by ethernet cable.

2) An Airport Extreme card for your mac mini, that can connect wireless to the Airport Express

3) The powerbook will come with an Airport Extreme card in it, so you don't need anything more with the powerbook.

With this solutions, all the 2 macs can share the internet connection, and share files wirelessy... no matter where you are.

Hope this helps...

585595664[/snapback]

Thanks Shodan, thats exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot man, and thanks to everybody else who posted. Much appreciated.

Thanks Shodan, thats exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot man, and thanks to everybody else who posted. Much appreciated.

585597196[/snapback]

You're welcome, enjoy you mac! :D

If you're happy leaving your mini wired, and you're happy with your current router, then all you need is a wireless acess point (like the Airport Express or something from Linksys or Netgear etc) to plug into the router.

Cheapest option, and the easiest.