What do you guys use Linux for ?

I imagine not as gaming enviroment  :p  but some kind of development perhaps. Any other uses you could think of?

585594992[/snapback]

I installed it a couple times, but I can never figure out how to install anything on it. I searched for a couple of weeks about installing programs on linux on google and just gave up. There has to be an easy way to install stuff on linux.

Almost every kind of task people would do on a desktop computer: coding, maintaining my band's website (html, image editing, etc...), some audio and video edition, gaming (et, doom3, ut, mame, zinc, epsxe, neverwinter nights, etc...), web browsing, watch tv and movies, listen music...

Some months ago I had Apache and Postfix running, but now I'm looking for an old crappy pc box to run those services instead of using my main box, as I usually shut it down at night.

Linux is stable, easily affordable, very customizable, daily updated, secure (enough secure at least)... I can do everything I want/need with it and also have fun trying new stuff (different window managers, desktop configurations, make flags, different libraries...).

There has to be an easy way to install stuff on linux.

585595914[/snapback]

Yes, it is called "apt-get" (with or without synaptic) or "yast" or "yum" or "urpmi" or portage or probably a few I missed.

And, once installed, the same tool keeps your entire kernel, OS and applications up to date and current (which is much more than Windows Update does).

I use Linux for EVERYTHING that you use a normal desktop or laptop for. :p The only thing I can not do with Linux is use on-line banking, since the bank uses either Quicken or MS Money.

Barney

Server , nicest thing is that linux cannot be infected with Spyware/Virusses ( atleast not much )

585595749[/snapback]

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

A nice quote I thought! ( I still like Windows XP)

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it. I know which one I'll trust. How about you?"

Edited by toejam

Sometimes, I use it as a direct Windows replacement since just about everything I can do in Windows, I can do in Linux. Even though I'm using XP on my main computer, I do have Fedora on my laptop.

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

585596135[/snapback]

Ok. I am an Open Source (and Linux, in particular) supporter, but to say that none of the Linux viruses became widespread is absolutely incorrect:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,538732,00.asp (Slapper)

I believe that the Linux security model is better than the Windows one, but it all really just boils down to administration. Any box that is not properly protected is potentially vunerable. If someone reads that quote and thinks that if they get Linux they are invunerable, they may be in for a bit of a shock down the road with their outdated system with poor firewalling and permissions.

I installed it a couple times, but I can never figure out how to install anything on it.  I searched for a couple of weeks about installing programs on linux on google and just gave up.  There has to be an easy way to install stuff on linux.

585595914[/snapback]

Well most certainly there is :) I had the same problem... Solved with any of Debian based distros... I run Xandros, very nice and easy to install. Others as good are Arch Linux and even Knoppix IIRC... Look them up, easy to install, maintain and install/uninstall software on.

Yeah, Xandros has their Xandros Networks and if you want something more sophisticated, there's Synaptic and KPackage, all of them apt-get front-ends. Otherwise you'll have to do the source code shuffle if you don't have the patience to wait for something to show up on a repository. Some programs like The GIMP and GAIM have used the autopackage system to make it easy to do Windows-like program installs. Mozilla distributes their own installer version for Linux versions of Firefox too.

Xandros Networks:

snapshot19yn.th.png

KPackage:

snapshot29ih.th.png

I do everything I need for day-to-day computing in Linux, plus play around and learn new things.

But, to answer your question, I use Linux for the stability, speed, reliability and the sense of ownership, control and freedom.

585595543[/snapback]

DITTO.

Plus I'm a gamer! Luckly my game is UT/UT2k4 which in my experience runs better on Linux than windows (assuming you have an nvidia graphics card).

I have Gentoo on my router, featuring Apache/PHP, MySQL, FTP, IMAP (getting my messages from my pop3-accounts with fetchmail, and having them checked for spam), print services, etc

On my notebook I kinda have it for everyday tasks like surfing, email, chat, you get the idea, but I installed it primarily for wardriving, which I don't do anymore. :sleep:

I installed it a couple times, but I can never figure out how to install anything on it.  I searched for a couple of weeks about installing programs on linux on google and just gave up.  There has to be an easy way to install stuff on linux.

585595914[/snapback]

Use a Debian-based distro. It comes with apt-get for the command line and Synaptic for those who like to point and click.

General desktop use.

Media, Media Editing, IM, Email, Browsing, Gaming and as a development environment for Java/PHP/JSP/MySQL.

Only time I've had to use Windows recentely was to flash my mobile phone. The software isn't available for Linux.

I use Linux just to fool around with, make sure not to screw stuff up incase I do want to switch.

I use suse 9.2 for just about everything. Dont play PC games (thats what consoles are for :D) so get everything i need done in suse :) Although to be honest that mainly just consists of reading email, surfing the web and listening to music lol

Mainly to Play all kind of 3D Games, Play with Multimedia, & usage of Multimedia Applications like Maya, 3D Max, ZBursh...etc...

lol..

well! just use it on Servers, & for learning purpose !

Edited by Xahid

I use it for everything from browsing the web to using as a file server. I however do not use if for my audio production work or gaming (actually I do use it for gaming sometimes)

I need to get into linux, so i can get out some wicked desktops like i have seen of others.

585607609[/snapback]

free your mind. take the blue pill. ( or is it red :p )

I need to get into linux, so i can get out some wicked desktops like i have seen of others.

585607609[/snapback]

There's no time like the present. We're not getting any younger, you know!

Barney

Things to do in Linux:

-Developing MUD (Multi Users Dungeons) in C - ROM 2.4 Very Heavily Modified.

-File Servers

-MySQL, PHP, Apache.

-AIM (duh)

-UT2k4, UT2k5

-Many more... :)

I use linux because i masterd windows xp and find it boring now. Linux is so much more fun, its a nice challenge and its much more customizable. I have all the windows programs I need running in it =) and games! w00t