How to burn a legally obtained DMG file in windows

Apple doesn't sell Panther Install Disks in the form of DMGs. :huh:

585600733[/snapback]

your point?

i've got DMG's of all my iBooks restore disks. I did it as a backup measure in case one of the disks breaks (which i have a habit of doing)

the file is probably corrupt...

585600428[/snapback]

You were RIGHT! You were absolutely right.

It turned out to be a corrupted DMG. :(

I feel guilty but I had to ask a friend to borrow his Disk 1. Now I got Mac OS X Panther installed in my iMac G3 too! :D

Thanks for all your help. It's very much appreciated. I wouldn't think of this way without you guys.

Thanks roadwarrior for understanding my situation.

Edited by ~*McoreD*~

your point?

i've got DMG's of all my iBooks restore disks.  I did it as a backup measure in case one of the disks breaks (which i have a habit of doing)

585602715[/snapback]

I found it puzzling that he had Mac OS X in DMGs thats all. I get it now. :happy: I should of read more carefully. :rolleyes:

Retail Panther discs are CD's, the OEM ones that come with most Macs now are on a single DVD. Tiger will most likely only be on DVD.

My iMac came with Panther in the form of two cds.

Your dmg might not be corrupt.... did you compress it? I believe compressed dmg's cant be burned on PC's

585606999[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what I wanted to say too. The rename to .iso thing only works (not always) if the dmg file isn't in a compressed dmg format. But you hardly see non compressed dmg files anymore.

Your dmg might not be corrupt.... did you compress it? I believe compressed dmg's cant be burned on PC's

585606999[/snapback]

how do you uncompress it to the burn on a pc?

I have a Mac and a PC I am happy to decompress the inside of the file on both computers how would I do this?

I have tried directly copying the contents of a DMG to a folder but on my Mac it always gives me this error telling me some things could not be copied.

My iMac came with Panther in the form of two cds.

585604792[/snapback]

You might wanna look at them again, most likely they are DVD's. If Panther managed to fit on only two, they certainly aren't CD's, since a full Panther set (including XCode) is 4 CD's.

how do you uncompress it to the burn on a pc?

I have a Mac and a PC I am happy to decompress the inside of the file on both computers how would I do this?

I have tried directly copying the contents of a DMG to a folder but on my Mac it always gives me this error telling me some things could not be copied.

585609467[/snapback]

Open Disk Utility. Select the Images menu, Convert. Open the DMG you want to convert, then in the Save As dialog box, make sure the Image Format is set to "DVD/CD master" and encryption is set to "none". Save the DMG, and you have an uncompressed DMG that will burn on a PC with Nero as I previously described.

585606999[/snapback]

You are CORRECT. My bad. I will never do Compressed DMG again. :(

After I got Mac OS X installed, I burnt one of those DMG files (which I thought was corrupted) to CD and mounted in the iMac. It read the files perfectly. So they were compressed and not corrupted.

Open Disk Utility.  Select the Images menu, Convert. Open the DMG you want to convert, then in the Save As dialog box, make sure the Image Format is set to "DVD/CD master" and encryption is set to "none".  Save the DMG, and you have an uncompressed DMG that will burn on a PC with Nero as I previously described.

585610106[/snapback]

didnt work for me :(

I did everything you said made a new image which was not compressed and same thing happened.. oh well never mind.

Copy the DMG to your Mac using Network or Burnt Data CD

Applications :: Utilities :: Disk Utility

Images :: Convert :: CD/DVD Master and Encryption set to None.

It will create a file with cdr extension. Copy this to your PC.

Rename the .cdr to .iso

Burn the .iso using Nero. :)

Copy the DMG to your Mac using Network or Burnt Data CD

Applications :: Utilities :: Disk Utility

Images :: Convert :: CD/DVD Master and Encryption set to None.

It will create a file with cdr extension. Copy this to your PC.

Rename the .cdr to .iso

Burn the .iso using Nero. :)

585617886[/snapback]

i tried that once and it didnt work for me..... but it could be the specific dmg i was trying to burn

i tried that once and it didnt work for me..... but it could be the specific dmg i was trying to burn

585617900[/snapback]

You have to be sure that HFS is selected in the "Foreign Image" dialog box in Nero or it won't burn correctly.

• 1 month later...

I have done everything in this thread and nothing, I'm trying to make a bootable dmg file but nothing works, I've done the dmg to iso via disk utility, then burned with nero, I've done it with hfs , withought hfs, and nothing , the disk asks to restart then boots back into panther. I checked the cd I burned with disk utility and everything is fine except it says the Volume Header needs minor repair. wtf does that mean.

Edited by FatCat

I have done everything in this thread and nothing, I'm trying to make a bootable dmg file but nothing works, I've done the dmg to iso via disk utility, then burned with nero, I've done it with hfs , withought hfs, and nothing , the disk asks to restart then boots back into panther. I checked the cd I burned with disk utility and everything is fine except it says the Volume Header needs minor repair. wtf does that mean.

585800698[/snapback]

Do you have an iPod?

If you do you can install an operating system on the iPod move the DMG you are trying to install to the iPod and then boot into the iPod's os from there you install the DMG to your Apple computer cutting out the need for a CD/DVD altogether.

it takes longer to install but it gets it done.

im in similair situation- is there anyway to burn a compressed dmg on a pc? i've tried all sorts- the dvd can be read in OSX but will not boot- i get a purple screen with a small folder with a question mark on start up when i try to boot from the pc written bootable dvd.

i'm soon about to take out one of my dvdrw drives from my pc and placed it as usb on the mac mini. will i be able to burn and boot from that external usb dvdrw drive?

downloading a dmg file straight to a pc damages the file.You will not be getting a workable image from a dmg file downloaded to a pc

585803253[/snapback]

Absolutely wrong. Some types of Mac files work like that (apps mostly), but DMG's can exist on a PC without being damaged. I do it all the time (the Dell is my main downloading machine).

i dont have an ipod, but i have an iriver 20gb- would i be able to copy the dmg onto that and then boot from the usb ext hdd? how do i extract a dmg onto the ext hdd? or is it possible to boot from the dmg alone?

No I'm saying you install an operating system on your iPod like a previous build of tiger or Panther then move the final Tiger build onto your iPod you then launch the osinstall.pkg file from the dmg and it will install without needing to reboot your machine from there you can install to your iBook.

This cannot be done on an iriver since you need Target disk mode. you could also do this if you have an external Firewire drive.

585800698[/snapback]

if you're trying to get the instructions that i posted, they dont work on tiger gm for some odd reasons