New Samsung DLP TV

I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it, mods.

Well, my parents just purchased a 61" Samsung DLP Widescreen HDTV. (This isn't even like my parents to get something this extravagant, but my mom's eyes aren't doing so good. She has diabetic retinopathy, and she can't really even see subtitles on the regular TV.) My question is this: What should I use for my PC: DVI, VGA, or S-Video, to connect to the display? Max resolution is 1280 x 720. My video card is a Radeon 9600XT with VGA, DVI, and S-video ports, if you need to know. Some people have told me to use the VGA, but I thought DVI is supposed to be better for digital displays.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

little out of topic, what a coincidence, I have ordered for the same baby, how is the tv over all?

I did a basic search on google, came up with a few threads, hope this could be of help to you:

http://www.gearbits.com/archives/000063.html

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/2950.html

From what I understand tou need Powerstrip. You should also look into the www.AVSForum.com. They have the custom powerstrip settings you are going to need.

See http://www.entechtaiwan.net/ps.htm. It will also help you create a custom monitor driver.

Actually the TV doesn't get shipped until March 25. They didn't have it in the store.

Wow, I just looked at the PowerStrip program. Nice! Thanks a lot -- I'll definitely be using that.

From those other boards that you posted, it looks like I may be investing in a DVI cable!

Use the DVI if you aren't using it for anything else such as an HD cable box.

Nope, I won't be. DVI for the PC it is.

Anyone know where I can get a gold-plated DVI cable for cheap? I've found a 15-footer on eBay for around $20 (shipping included). Does anyone know of anywhere cheaper, or more official? (And no, I'm not interested in spend $50+ on Monster Cable. It's just metal. Their copper is the same as everyone else's copper.)

well they do strip out the oxygen and inject it with a conductive gas (nitrogen I believe) helping out with longer distance runs.

But, whatever, if you wish to go for the generic stuff, that's going to be the cheapest you're going to find it for that long.

I don't have an HDTV but from what I understand if you are going to be using a PC than Powerstrip is the way to go to force the resolution onto the television set.

Also, I noticed that this is an older generation model, did your parents see an actual demo of the tv? The reason I asked is that some people can actually see the "color wheel" that does the display. And some people actually get headaches from it.

Good luck!

The DLP is using a 3rd generation DLP color wheel, I don't remember the specifics but I believe its a 3 color wheel system to allow the display to show pictures.

If you look at the other DLPs from Samsung especially the "Star Trek" models with the stand in the middle. You see from the specifications that the DLP tv is using a 4th generation DLP color wheel, which I believe is 5 or 7 color wheels.

The more color wheels the better picture quality and less color wheel you will see. The DLP theaters that some areas in the United States, I believe use a 12 color wheel system.

Im sure someone can correct the numbers for me but basically the one your parents are getting is using "Samsung Cinema Smooth? Gen 3 HD Third Generation Light Engine" as opposed to the new "Samsung Cinema Smooth? Gen 4 HD Fourth Generation Light Engine."

That's why I asked if they saw a model, usually the older generation DLP some people can see the color wheel. I can see the color wheel also in the older generation by moving my head side to side, or when a fast action scene from a movie comes to play.

On the HL-P5085W demos I have seen, I can't see the color wheel at all but some people still can see it.

More information about DLP can be found at DLP information

Good luck.

Edited by tronmaster

The DLP is using a 3rd generation DLP color wheel, I don't remember the specifics but I believe its a 3 color wheel system to allow the display to show pictures.

If you look at the other DLPs from Samsung especially the "Star Trek" models with the stand in the middle.  You see from the specifications that the DLP tv is using a 4th generation DLP color wheel, which I believe is 5 or 7 color wheels.

The more color wheels the better picture quality and less color wheel you will see.  The DLP theaters that some areas in the United States, I believe use a 12 color wheel system.

Im sure someone can correct the numbers for me but basically the one your parents are getting is using "Samsung Cinema Smooth? Gen 3 HD Third Generation Light Engine" as opposed to the new "Samsung Cinema Smooth? Gen 4 HD Fourth Generation Light Engine."

That's why I asked if they saw a model, usually the older generation DLP some people can see the color wheel.  I can see the color wheel also in the older generation by moving my head side to side, or when a fast action scene from a movie comes to play.

On the HL-P5085W demos I have seen, I can't see the color wheel at all but some people still can see it.

More information about DLP can be found at DLP information

Good luck.

585626457[/snapback]

It's one single wheel segmented into colors.