Sharing An Internet Connection; Removing Router

OK, dude, it's not like I slapped your momma or something. That's the kind of attitude I was talking about. Writing a thesis explaining why you're not insulting, and then saying things like this...

"Stupid is as Stupid does - if you do STUPID things, guess what your going to get called on it"

"I thought you might have some trouble with that word"

...is contradicting yourself, and proving my point.

As for this comment...

Spelling out what DMZ means -- seem more like an insult if you ask me.. Do you feel he does not have the intelligence to lookup an acronym on his own?

...He ASKED what DMZ was, so I told him.

Do NOT try and twist my words around again. I, for one, am trying to help him without referring to "stupid" activity. He said he is lost, so I am trying to help him. So back off.

Alright. I have the same router and the same motherboard. I've noticed that when I use the NVidia Ethernet port, it has some problems sometimes. Try switching to the other Ethernet port on your PC (it should be the 3Com port).

I actually didn't think you used a hack. I don't play UT2004, so when I read "speed hack," I actually thought it was something to help out with network delays in the game.

So, what's the status report so far? Same problems? I'm just asking because I may not be able to work on figuring this out until tomorrow. I won't be getting home until later tonight, and I need sleep. :sleep:

if you think the router is the problem. just plug your machine nto the dsl/cable modem and see if it fixes the issue with the game.

if it does, yo can just get a cheap hub or switch. plug the dsl/cable modem into the switch first. out of the switch you plug in your computer,(bypassing the router) and the router that leads you your other connections.

this will bypass the router for your machine.

if you think the router is the problem. just plug your machine nto the dsl/cable modem and see if it fixes the issue with the game.

if it does, yo can just get a cheap hub or switch. plug the dsl/cable modem into the switch first. out of the switch you plug in your computer,(bypassing the router) and the router that leads you your other connections.

this will bypass the router for your machine.

585620902[/snapback]

Wow...I feel really dumb for not thinking of that. Yeah, do that, and then try UT2004.

You probably have to set up your network connection on your PC to obtain the IP address automatically again (DHCP).

585621132[/snapback]

I was about to say that...

King: Since your modem is trying to assign you an IP, you have to reset your Windows IP settings to automatic. I know you've been going back and forth with this but be patient and we will help you solve the problem. ;)

Wow...I feel really dumb for not thinking of that.  Yeah, do that, and then try UT2004.

585620953[/snapback]

Dude - that will NOT work, unless he can get more than 1 IP address from his ISP... And I suggested that as an option in my FIRST post..

"You could get another IP address from your ISP, then place a switch in between your modem and your machine and the router"

Sure he can plug his machine directly into the Modem -- Oooh what a FIX, your brain must hurt after all that thinking! ;)

The poor guy had a 1024-* forward setup to god knows what machine, since I highly doubt it was his.. Since if it was his BT would of been working - but he said it was not, so what IP address is machine was on is anyones guess..

As already stated - if your going to connect your machine directly to the modem, you will have to go back to dhcp -- and more than likely have to bounce the modem, since for it knows its still trying to talk to the routers MAC, etc..

Get your machine up and running again - behind the router, which dchp.. Then look on your router's interface, what is the range of IP's your dhcp server will hand out? 192.168.1.x-x

then set your machine to a STATIC address outside of this, then forward the ports you need to your machines IP, or put your machine into the DMZ... How hard is that exactly? For example

IP 192.168.1.222

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.1.1 <--- this is the IP address of your router

DNS 192.168.1.1 <--- Normally this will work, or use your ISP's dns directly, or you could use 4.2.2.2, .3 etc...

Or if you need to -- you can wait for KR's picture book on what buttons to push ;)

Haven't I already said all the stuff you just said? :rolleyes:

Also, the Linksys routers are configurable to where you can change the IP pool for the DHCP server. You can do it either way. I just think it's easier to mess with the router settings.

I am trying to enable DMZ (if that's what I need to do to open all ports). I did this and I can't connect to the Internet...

(oh, and DMZ is set to 192.168.1.100).

post-645-1111449341.gif