yellow dog linux

didnt know wether to put this in the linux forum or mac kinda confusin im getting a mac mini soon and i use linux and was thinking of trying yellow dog out has anyone used this or gotten reviews any commments would be appreciated

Mac OSX has a UNIX shell so there is no need for Linux. You can install it though. BTW did you even go to the yellow dog site? No, didn't think so . It says it right there. :no:

Mac OSX has a UNIX shell so there is no need for Linux. You can install it though.  BTW did you even go to the yellow dog site? No, didn't think so . It says it right there. :no:

585621989[/snapback]

i did go to the site i was lookin for user opinons from a forum i respect i value peoples opinions rather than what a commercial company puts to me i kno mac is bsd based but it was sumthin i was willing to try with my mini is all

Its worth a little play. Its a pretty extensive package, much like Fedora Core or Red Hat. I've only done a little fooling around in it, but its always been interesting. Really, the only way to know if its right for you is if you try it. Just set aside plenty of time, as it can be a massive install should you select all the packages.

I haven't used the current version (based on Fedora Core), but I used the previous version (based on Red Hat 8) on the PowerBook G3 I used to have, and it was great. I mainly used it for a Linux class I was taking in college because the computers we had in the classroom were horribly slow.

thanks for the info guys i use fedora alot but seen as though i only have a slow broadband connection i cant download the new beta i wanna try yellow dog on my mac mini see what its like but ill still be keepin my laptop for primary use my mac is mainly for my multimedia such as my clothing company and webdesign i use linux more for my programming and server related stuff

I used Yellow Dog on an iBook but wasn't a fan of it. I eventually just used an old PC with Fedora...

Also, could you please use punctuation? That is a huuuuge run-on sentence there.

Yellow dog is probably about the best mac linux distro, however, it's worth noting that it doesn't support a lot of things in newer hardware, the most important being airport extreme.other distros have the same limitations.

Unless you have a very specific reason to run linux, you are almost always better off running OSX and either an OSX port of the app, or using something like Fink.

try Mandrake 10.1 or wait for 10.2... used Mandrake on my PC system (after replacing Windows YAY) and i loved it.. seemed much cleaner, and easier that RedHat in my opinion... also works great on PPC.

i was thinking seen as though i think its gentoo (not to sure) that compiles from source specifically for your architecture it would be good just wait and see probably wont use linux so much cos mac os x is the bomb :p