Is this really what I should expect from HDTVs...

Alright, I can understand that cable quality isn't too good as my bro is still waiting on HD cable box so far now it's connected with regular composite cables. Hopefully, using HDMI with the new box will correct this.

My main problem though is dvd quality. Not sure if it's a crap player as it's a Philips bought a long time ago. Component cables are being used and yet it seems a little grainy. Or are there different/better kinds of component outputs? So far the only thing that really looks good is the XBox and playing videos through XMBC. Plus, my TV which doesn't even support newer video outputs looks 10xs better when watching dvds. There has to be something I'm missing here. What do you guys think?

dvd is pretty ****ty quality.

blu-ray will fix that problem. in the meantime, youll just have to live with it. or get a movies pack for HDTV so you get high def movies from your cable provider. fixing the cables and getting a new progressive scan player will help a little bit, but there isnt much you can do really.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MOD...athId=79&page=2

I don't think it supports progressive scan.  I'll try and bring my dvd player to his place to see if it makes a difference.  Do I have to use a specific output for progressive scan?

585627165[/snapback]

Have ot use component out. The fact that it's a rear projo, though, could be the problem. They tend to suffer a bit on the lower resolutions.

blu-ray will fix that problem. in the meantime, youll just have to live with it. or get a movies pack for HDTV so you get high def movies from your cable provider. fixing the cables and getting a new progressive scan player will help a little bit, but there isnt much you can do really.

585627177[/snapback]

480p is pretty damn good. I don't know what you're talking about.

But how can there be a difference between my tv and his? I have a older Sony Wega which I'm quite satisfied with when it comes to watching dvds. I would expect at least equal quality from his TV. I'm not expecting HD quality but I wasn't expecting this either.

Have ot use component out. The fact that it's a rear projo, though, could be the problem. They tend to suffer a bit on the lower resolutions.

480p is pretty damn good. I don't know what you're talking about.

585627189[/snapback]

it is good, but its not anywhere near HD quality. we have a pretty good 50" rear projection with a progressive scan and all the right cables and everything. DVD's look pretty bad compared to HDTV shows.

Edit: well i didnt know it was THAT bad. it could possibly be because his tv is bigger than yours(im assuming) and the picture just stretches out more. or his TV is a different aspect ratio and he is using the wrong kind of DVD.

585627189[/snapback]

I guess I'll check to see if there is any improvement in video quality when I go over again on Monday with my DVD player. Thanks for the info!

Watching movies in hd and dvd doesn't seem all that different to me. Although, HBO and Showtime don't have the greatest of hd signals (but that may be because of their content source)... Anyone know if they actually have true hd sources for their movies? Or are they just upscanned dvds? Gladiator did look impressive on tnthd this weekend, although I don't have the dvd for a direct comparison. The hd signals on discovery and the hdnet channels are a bit more impressive in imho. Although, it may make a bigger difference on a rp crt hdtv like you have since they are a bit blurry and grainy by nature. I have high hopes for the sony rp lcd hdtv E-series. Hopefully they improve the black levels and finally make buying one worthwhile, seeing as how I can't afford more than 2500 on a tv and that rules out hd plasmas :(.

does his Tv  support highdef and  evan  if it does  rear projected  Tvs non LCd Rear  usally have the poorest quality  on the  market .

585628127[/snapback]

Bollocks, a good properly calibrated CRT rear projection has excellent picture for the price and their black levels surpass that of many of the more expensive TVs

Bollocks, a good properly calibrated CRT rear projection has excellent picture for the price and their black levels surpass that of many of the more expensive TVs

585629627[/snapback]

Black scales yes, but other than that, they do no compare to a good digital projo. Hell, the wider viewing angle alone is worth it.

So just got back from my bro's. Progressive scan does improve things. It aint perfect but he think it's awesome as it is (his previous tv wasn't nearly as good so I guess that is all that matters). I do have other issues though that I will post in another thread...

Thanks for the help guys!