I am Windows Free!

I run Windows XP on my primary PC. Other than occasionally testing the latest Ubuntu Hoary Live CD, that's all it runs. It DOES run PearPC with MacOSX Panther 10.3.8 just for kicks.... My secondary PC (ie, my old machine) runs Ubuntu Hoary with nightly updates. It's currently as of this moment broken, which is to be expected running a development build. Oh well. It'll be back and running in a couple of days I'm sure.

I applaud you if you run Linux exclusively because you feel passionate about it or whatever. Don't do it just because it makes you feel cool. Linux runs a mean server... and though the ground it has made up the past couple of years is amazing, it still has quite a ways to go for the desktop.... not for people that consider themselves "l33t" but it's not going to be powering my mother's machine any time soon.

Kudos and good luck with that. I love Windows.... I love OSX... I love Linux.

After dual booting for a year, I have ditched Windows for good. All 10 of my computers at home only run Linux now.

For a while I kept windows around as a gaming platform, but even that was  a pain in the ass.

I am even going to put Linux on my iPOD.

Sorry if this is a pointless post, but the Geek in me just had to make a thread about it.

so I had to ask, do you guy/gals run only Linux or duel boot?

585629753[/snapback]

This is pointless- thx for the news :rolleyes:

I dont see what is wrong with Windows, call me stupid, but I really don't. At least with the latest versions. I'd have to say ME and 98 were unacceptable. 98SE was pretty good. Well, I guess linux would be good for a less powerful machine. I just dont understand why people hate Windows with a pasion!

585631671[/snapback]

ya, less powerful machines like servers and some of the fastest supercomputers in the world :rolleyes:

try it, youll get it.

I use gentoo on my main Rig, Ubuntu on my 2nd that I mostly use for Art ( gimp )/programing. the other five computers that i use for Folding@home , I run

suse,mandrake,flux,Damn Small Linux, and fedora.

( I like to mix it up )

This is pointless- thx for the news :rolleyes:

585631997[/snapback]

Thanks for taking the time to post in my thread, Goes to show you are as bad as me.

:rofl:

ya, less powerful machines like servers and some of the fastest supercomputers in the world :rolleyes:

try it, youll get it.

585631998[/snapback]

Hold on a minute...you joined in Jan'05 and already on to 2000 posts ? :huh: :wacko:

I just recently switched over to linux again for the 10th time as far as I can count. Every time I used a different distribution, but I hated it and uninstalled it 20minutes to 1 day after install (aren't I stupid). Now I'm back to Fedora Core 3 (I like the way the menus are at default. Dual-booting with windows for games and web base stuff (until I finish making linux like home). The only thing I hate is the lack of hardware manufactures making drivers for linux. ATI makes a driver, but it is a pain in the but to install, and Fedora freezes when I go to init 3. Otherwise I like this a lot better. It seems a lot faster.

I dont see what is wrong with Windows, call me stupid, but I really don't. At least with the latest versions. I'd have to say ME and 98 were unacceptable. 98SE was pretty good. Well, I guess linux would be good for a less powerful machine. I just dont understand why people hate Windows with a pasion!

585631671[/snapback]

Have you tried any other OS besides Windows??

You may know more if you use or try anything else but Windows.....

I have 3 apple machines running OS X...

And a windows XP machine running one Program....(Jamstix from Rayzoon) a VST drum module..

http://www.rayzoon.com/index.html

Just waiting on them to finish the AU Version........And bye bye Windows....CC

Nothing "wrong" with Windows. It just wasn't the right OS for me.

I have been Windows-free for over two years, and really have enjoyed learning much more about how computers work (instead of just how Windows works). I like the ability to see what is going on (even though I am not a programmer, the config files are easy enough to understand), and I like the freedom and sense of ownership that Linux gives me.

Plus, it is extremely easy to maintain, once set up. (Y)

People who tell you Windows is bad are speaking from their personal perspective; Windows is bad for "what they do"

naw. most people are just speaking as part of the "I hate Microsoft but really don't know why other than becouse I heard it was the thing to do" herd.

The way I see it. Everyone who has switched is trying to prove just how much they don't need Microsoft products. Almost like they are trying to justify using Linux.

and what really gets me laughing is how these Linux converts glorify thier new Operating System yet keep a copy of Windows on thier partition "just in case"

wow your a nerd seriously. 10 computers .... windows > linux sorry

people who use linux think there cool cause there not using windows. windows > linux sorry. windows xp never crashes on me, does what it to do (listen 2 music, play games (wait there are no games on linux) !!

585631634[/snapback]

Wait til you're older. You won't play games anymore and you'll want to use something better than windows, because games are all it has over the competition.

naw. most people are just speaking as part of the "I hate Microsoft but really don't know why other than becouse I heard it was the thing to do" herd.

The way I see it. Everyone who has switched is trying to prove just how much they don't need Microsoft products. Almost like they are trying to justify using Linux.

and what really gets me laughing is how these Linux converts glorify thier new Operating System yet keep a copy of Windows on thier partition "just in case"

585632282[/snapback]

LOL. Agreed.

I think you are incorrect on that, scoobydoobie.

Most Linux users I know really don't care much about Microsoft. I am not fond of their business practices, or of their restrictive licenses. So I don't choose their products. No hatred there.

Most of the "Linux users" who post hatred for Microsoft are just kids just trying Linux for their first time. They are dual-booters going through a phase (like teenager's rebellion against their parents).

Unfortunately, they happen to be loud and obnoxious. :no:

good for you,hope you enjoy it,i'm enjoying windows as ever,and i'll never go to linux,windows never crashes,i can hear music,do my work,play games,talk with my friends,everyithing a normal user can do.

:happy:

so i think i'm cool with windows,not linux :laugh:

windows==good for everyday use

unix==good for stability-is-a-necessity server

server2003==good for ease-of-maintenance server

*nix liveCDs==good for data recovery

theres my take. now:

ive got 2 windows systems, one server2003 wifi game server, and a freeBSD torrent server/daily-computer-backer-upper

and im close to sealing a deal for a 100mbit line with level3

Most of the "Linux users" who post hatred for Microsoft are just kids just trying Linux for their first time. They are dual-booters going through a phase (like teenager's rebellion against their parents).

agreed

I think you are incorrect on that, scoobydoobie.

Most Linux users I know really don't care much about Microsoft.  I am not fond of their business practices, or of their restrictive licenses.  So I don't choose their products.  No hatred there.

Most of the "Linux users" who post hatred for Microsoft are just kids just trying Linux for their first time.  They are dual-booters going through a phase (like teenager's rebellion against their parents).

Unfortunately, they happen to be loud and obnoxious. :no:

585632325[/snapback]

Thank you, thank you

im not trying to be an ass here... but just wondering- Ive never used OR even SEEN linux! Really, what are the advantages of switching over? Is it really that much faster than windows? how hard is it to install- for example- installing win xp is a snap- insert disc, insert key follow prompts... done- is it as simple as that? what progs work for it? photoshop? illstrator? macromedia? if these dont work that half my reason for even using it!

speed wise- how is it faster than win xp? programs? internet? general GUI usage?