217 members have voted

1. 1. the better Free Forum is

• phpbb 2.0.13 (or the latest)
    • IPB 1.3
    • other (mention)

Question

how many years have you worked with phpbb, never i gues

585641994[/snapback]

I don't use phpBB because there are a lot of superior alternatives in terms of features, speed, security and nice code. :)

Yeah, I've been wondering why GZIP is off here.:blink:k:

585681186[/snapback]

CPU load is more important than bandwidth?

I think I read somewhere that GZIP is enabled server wide so it doesn't need to be enabled again in IPB or something like that....but I might be wrong.

585681391[/snapback]

Correct.

where can u download it from for free?...ive been told IPB u have to pay?!?!?!

585764087[/snapback]

You cannot download IPB for free. If you do find a site with a free download for IPB please report it to piracy<at>invisionpower.com :)

[rofl. I seriously gotta stop acting as if I'm IPS staff. :laugh:]

Me and a friend have been doing a lot of stuff with PHPBB and Plus 1.52. I think it's great. Haven't used IPB though, but I do LOVE Neowin! Anyway, as long as you update, security isn't a problem. Also, there are security mods that will help and are easy to install. As far as admin options there are plenty. There are tons of skins for PHPBB by itself. Plus is for a lot of stuff, but what we mainly got it for was the Portal. But with Plus you can't use the regular skins, and there aren't as many specifically for Plus. Good luck.

I think phpBB is better (although not "way better") since it is still being updated. I've tried IPB 1.3 a few times, but I think it's a bit too complex. Talking about the functions, IPB beats phpBB for sure. But if we're talking about the appearance or the future of the system, IPB doesn't have a chance over phpBB. Also, Olympus is coming soon; by the time, phpBB should be able to go "way better" than IPB 1.3. I don't like to pay for the new version of Windows / Office, so do I like to pay for the new version of IPB :D.

P. S. I'm not considering the fact that Neowin (the best forum ever on the web) is using IPB here... (anyway, it's not using v. 1.3, it's using version 2!)

Another P. S. This is a really late reply, isn't it? :p

IPB definitely! But if you want to spend some money, I would suggest going for vBulletin, it's $80 / year for a leased license, and once you have more money you can upgrade to an owned license which is $180 and the renewal fee would be $30 / year.

But if we're talking about the appearance or the future of the system, IPB doesn't have a chance over phpBB. 

585865751[/snapback]

ROFLMAO. You gotta be kiddin; right? That default skin looks horrible compared to IPB's professional default skin.

Also, Olympus is coming soon; by the time, phpBB should be able to go "way better" than IPB 1.3.

585865751[/snapback]

Maybe it'll be better than 1.3, but that's because it's an old version. Will Olympus be better than 2.1? No. :)

I don't like to pay for the new version of Windows / Office, so do I like to pay for the new version of IPB :D.

585865751[/snapback]

I don't like to pay for them either, but I bought my lifetime license for IPB because I wanted to support Matt's hard work in making the great software I use every day. :)

I would go for IPB.

It's cleaner and simpler for the people posting on your forum. The admin panel can be a little scary at the beginning for a beginner but it worths the effort! :)

By the way, does IPB 1.3.1 has the Portal thingy? If it has, how can I activate?

IPB, though look for security patches for 1.3

Yes, there is a legal free unlimited trial for 2, but it's only legal if you downloaded directly from ips.

I've seen a lot of phpbb boards hacked. Maybe it will get better. I dunno.

I also support punBB.

Between the two free solution, I'd have to say that IPB 1.3 is better. However, that will change once phpBB 3 comes out. Of course, if you can afford a license, you may want to ultimately go with IPB 2.1.

IPB.

phpBB security track record makes Microsoft look good.

586268017[/snapback]

although wouldn't IPB1.3 have security holes left that will never be fixed?

consequently my vote goes to phpbb. The next version of it looks very promising.

although wouldn't IPB1.3 have security holes left that will never be fixed?

consequently my vote goes to phpbb. The next version of it looks very promising.

586268037[/snapback]

If you go to Invisionize, they tell you how to patch 1.3 to make it as secure and 2.0.4.