Neowin Board of Directors

I was brainstorming and came up with a thought(go me!) I have heard a lot of people talking about the speed of Neowin lately, and I personally have been having problems as well.

I would be more than happy to throw in some money to get our own server. I am not sure what kind of money we are talking about, but I am sure if a couple of us threw in some money, would could get enough. The people who gave money could be on a board of directors of sorts.

It was just a thought, let me know what you think.

How about a +Plus Membership? For a certain yearly fee (or half a year) you get:

+Custom Forum Member Title

+Special Downloads

+Access to a private +Plus member forum

+Other Things

I'm not sure the real issue isn't just a server but the connection it would need...

But if Neowin does need to make some money this might be a way... Bottom line is I don't see this going on forever for free.... They either need Membership, banner ads, or pop-ups, or something !

Yea, I think +plus memberships would be cool. how about 22 USD a year.. or maby 15 USD for 6 months? And get an e-mail account @ neowin.net !

We should build neowin.net to a new empire, and we will get some FTPs, News servers, and then our own hosting building with OC-3's! MUHAHAHAHA! Then Neowin.net can go public, and we will all buy stock and make millions...

Wait a minute... the last paragraph made no sense... oh well, you get the idea. I asked neowin.netters what they though not long ago in my own thread but no one replied >: (

Originally posted by Neobond

I am not about to start taking vistors money ;) Period.

It wont be MANDATORY, and the forums would remain open to all, but we are saying that we are willing to pay to help out neowin.net, and perhaps we could get a 5MB e-mail account when we paid.

ok... i'm with neobond and friens on this one too... some of you MUST have seen segregation go a little bit out of hand.

pros / cons

+ less server load

+ room for more bandwidth-taking effects (due to load-ease)

+ speed

- less users (no need for extra speed)

- less help/response (meaning existing users prolly will drop out)

- too elite-ish

anyone play planetarion? these are the things that happened. i play, i know. =)

so, telling the story about pa:

before p2p (pay-2-play), server downs ever so often... sucky gfx.

after p2p, no server downs, no players, heavy sweet gfx.

that's what we all need =)

We spent the money to become a .Net partner.... You'll get a Net alert when someone replies to your post, or a forum that you are watching. Perhaps when a new "NEWS" item is added! Now THAT would ROCK!

Like Neobond said now, and b4, Neowin should not charge. That changes everything. I think donating money should be allowed, but with no reward for doing so. I also think having ads that cover the cost of the site are OK, as long as there are no popups.

id be down for donating $$$. the pep's on neowin are always hard at work to answer 99% of the questions that get posted. im sure most other people wouldnt mind donating either...the content/advice is well worth a bi-annual/annual/quarterly donation.

but, as always, just my $.02

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very much with Neo and pals on this. I'm not about to start paying for my news here. I love Neowin, but keep it free.

Donations are great, and if there was a way setup to donate I'd do it.

Just put up an ad page, and will will go and click on them or sign up for some stupid e-mail list.....it dosn't have to be on the front page. That would work, and you don't have to take our money, you are getting someone elses.

Can't you get some affliate links for across the top of each page, they generate good revenue for clicks etc...

I also visit another vBulletin site and they have over 10,000 members, it costs them about ?1000 a month just for the bandwidth.

They fund it with sponsors and affliate links. Any links that get posted on the site by members for say amazon bargains etc... get affliated by a admin (changes the link).

Dave

I would be more than happy to help you out. If you need a server just e-mail me the spec's and I'll make one for you, sent it out. I and my company will also help out with money if need be :D

I for one LOVE your site and the way you work to help others out!

You guys have done a GREAT!!! Job.. Please keep up the good work and KEEP IT FREE :cool: