Microsoft Window's Security Test

Your Security Rating is Great (95%)!

Try again? Click here. : Share this page.

Average User Score: 79.3% from 231 Users

Risks and Recommendations

You've indicated that you don't visit the Windows Update site.

Um, I ticked Frequently visit the site . . . (which I do, weekly.)

[edit]

I always start my passwords with Z9, because that's the last combination a brute-force password cracker would try.

- many start from Z9 . . .

[/edit]

585703214[/snapback]

That happend to me too and I ticked I Frequently visit the site :unsure:

[edit]

I always start my passwords with Z9, because that's the last combination a brute-force password cracker would try.

- many start from Z9 . . .

[/edit]

585703214[/snapback]

Again sorry to take this thread off-topic, I'll try not to do it again.

True it's possible some crackers start from Z9 and work backwards, but I've never personally seen one configured to do this. And I guess in the big picture it doesn't matter, if you have a 12 or 14 character long alphanumeric password with some symbols too, it's pretty damn secure. Well, with RainbowTables, is any password secure anymore? heh.

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

Jaded1 - what do you think the account type should be? Should I add "other" as a choice??

585703176[/snapback]

Maybe administrator (not default), with a slight edge in points.

Good 74%

Automatic Windows update off, and not going to Windows update site

Also visiting 'adult' sites :whistle:

[] Router with integrated hardware firewall

[] Software/Windows XP firewall with router and hardware firewall

Why is the second one a lower score? They should be even imo.

Also....

[] Are you sharing any folders over the network/internet?

This lowers your score if you choose yes, but I have a firewall, and all the folders are locked down to user ID's. So it doesn't change my security in any way if I've allowed them to be securely opened.

The score is all about risk. It is riskier to share folders than to not.

585704605[/snapback]

Not when XP shares the root of drives by default. One more won't hurt. :p

Maybe you could add in question related to that?

I like the new questions btw, the router ones are much clearer than last time. (Y)

I don't mean to turn this into a security/hacking topic, but...

With RainbowTables (more info at http://www.antsight.com/zsl/rainbowcrack/ ) I could (not can or will, but "could") crack any all-letters password in under a minute. ...

585701581[/snapback]

RainbowTables is interesting to say the very least. A while back I remember reading on Bink?s site that a ?strong? password can be cracked almost instantaneously, easier than say, my password. I was unable to find the page unfortunately and without it this is nothing more than a moot point. Personally, I?m not too concerned about it. Anything I consider to be sensitive doesn?t stay on my hard drive for very long and is encrypted while present. Sensitive data is first password protected & encrypted, then burnt to DVD. I don?t care how good a hacker is, he cannot hack a DVD that is sitting on my shelf. If he tries he is going to have bigger problems than figuring out my password. I?m running WinS2k3 (downloading sp1 final now) with NTFS, EFS, and file permissions all in place so I feel pretty safe with how my rig is setup. So far I haven?t been proven wrong. I?m not saying that I can?t or won?t be hacked. I?m just not all that concerned about it.

Edited by sandman45654

Your Security Rating is Good (82%)!

nice test! though, for the power user, it's kinda frustrating :) because the test is all about the risk... not about how really secure you are :)

like... i use p2p networking.... but i usually double check what i'm downloading and stuff like that... so i'm not insecure... but i'm at risk of making a boo boo :p

once again: nice test :D

Your Security Rating is Good (86%)!

nice, but theres no need for automatic updates if i check them frequently enuff, coz on dial up with automatic updates on, u can grow old waiting for a page to load, and then all those irritating things on the taskbar flash... :/