How Did SP1 Go For You?

Now that SP1 is out, hopefully we can use this thread for feedback on how well it worked on your system, any problems you had, etc. I have 2 production servers which I have not installed it on yet to play it safe, and one disc slipstreamed with it to install on a third tomorrow.

So, have you installed SP1 on your servers? Tell me about it if so.

Workstation users feel free to contribute as well, but I'm mostly looking for servers where DNS, DHCP, AD, and the other normal services are running.

Well I have a full blown server at home DHCP, DNS AD Anti Virus Terminal Services etc. I just downloaded it and I started the installation from a RDP connection. In the middle of copying the files it dropped the connection and now i can't ping it anymore. I'm too lasy to get down there and take a look at it.

I'll keep you guys posted

I tried it, the install went fine but after the reboot IIS and exchange 2003 failed on boot, and it would get jammed up on Applying Computer Settings...

I uninstalled SP1 in safemode and now everything works again. I have a bit of troubleshooting to do.

Destroyed our install we cannot log into our domain anymore. Re-installing right now after a backup.

server was file server,exchange,domain.

Destroyed our install we cannot log into our domain anymore.  Re-installing right now after a backup.

server was file server,exchange,domain.

585706921[/snapback]

Ok so it did it to you too then? IIS and exchange completely fail and the Netlogon service just dies out of nowhere.

I got a CD slipstreamed with it. the clean install on vmware went fine.

i'm still gathering the balls to install it on the real thing...

I installed and for some odd reason i CANT find the ICS feature! its gone! anyone know where it is??????

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing

Thanks

Ok quick tips for domain/ad users make sure your system has a local account for admin use(not ad account) We had a couple servers go out and had to reinstall them because we didnt know that the admin account is migrated to ad when you enable it.

Use a slipstreamed disk and UPGRADE dont do "patch" method. It takes longer but seems to work flawless.

Ok quick tips for domain/ad users  make sure your system has a local account for admin use(not ad account)  We had a couple servers go out and had to reinstall them because we didnt know that the admin account is migrated to ad when you enable it.

Use a slipstreamed disk and UPGRADE dont do "patch" method. It takes longer but seems to work flawless.

585707680[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I've installed it on my three Windows 2003 servers without any problems. To be honest, I've yet to see what the 330Mb actually does, seems the exact same.

One is an AD DC, the other had exchange 2003 SP1 and the third had ISA2004. All went fine.

We take a lot of time and effort to setup servers, so BACK IT UP FIRST!

There is a problem with installing software using RDP, so watch that one.

Slipstreaming is a better option to "patching" although, do you realy want to reinstall the OS? (file servers are ok, but the PDC?) Mind you it could be a good excuse to clean the thing up.

if u slipstream and run an "upgrade" you shouldnt have any problems. You just upgrade from 2k3 to 2k3 sp1 all settings are saved and migrated :p

if u slipstream and run an "upgrade" you shouldnt have any problems. You just upgrade from 2k3 to 2k3 sp1 all settings are saved and migrated :p

585712888[/snapback]

Knowing that you run as a workstation, did you take into account that the people who have reported errors are running DCs?

got no problems here dhcp server work,s domain, terminal services, all seem to be fine, ftp works as well. I was worried when i red the thread that i was gonna have problems, but also when sp2 came with xp the same thing, i never had problems.

I run it as a workstation at home as well as a server on another box at home.

Ialso am the root/default admin on servers for sevral companys that use them as DC with ad/iss/exchange and other apps.

I personaly will be moving to x64 as soon as omega gets the 64bit radeon drivers out :)

But my server will still use 2k3 sp1 :)

I've had three servers move from RTM to SP1 RC2 without trouble. Two were running Small Business Server 2003, and the other Standard Edition. The two SBS systems both ran AD as PDCs, run Exchange, and IIS with WSS. One also has SQL Server 2000 and SQL Express 2005 beta 2 installed.

The two SBS servers will be rolled up to the SP1 release build this coming week. A test environment will determine if uninstalling of the RC2 service pack is necessary, or if a straight patch will suffice.

I'll post back with the details of how that turns out.

The system that was running Standard Edition was my personal home computer / development system. It's now running XP x64 for the time being.