Linux: I actually missed it.

I don't know what it is. Something about this operating system always pulls me back. I've run Linux on and off for a while now, and it never keeps me hooked. The problem lies in just a few apps: Photoshop CS, Trillian, and Visual Studio .NET

I know a few people will say that Photoshop can either be replaced with Gimp, or run through wine, but it's the same as trying to take a farmer, and telling him that he has to do his farming in the middle of NYC. It's possible, but the unfamiliar territory makes things hard. As for Trillian... Miranda and Gaim do not even compare. So those aren't an option to me. I know there are supstitutes for VS.NET but I use it both at work, and at home. So, if I was to switch at home, when I went to work, it would just be confusing.

Anyway, the point of this post, is I'm wondering how many other people have done the same as me. Turned to Linux because windows bores the **** out of them.

actually, farming in hte middle of NYC is a good idea. right in the middle of central park :)

you should use crossover office. it lets you run trillian and photoshop, and it is much much easier to use than wine. as for vs.net, you can try it in cxoffice, but i have never had any personal experience, so i cant comment too much,.

you can always install linux at work ;)

yes, thats part of it. boring because you never accomplish anything "cool," and because you have to constanly perform mundane tasks like spyware/defragging.

Photoshop=GIMPshop

Trillian=Gaim

VS.net= dont know, dont program

585712122[/snapback]

Gimp simply isn't as powerful. I'm completely accustomed to Photoshop. If Photoshop and Trillian were ported to Linux. I would forget what 'Windows' was in a month. I can live without VS.NET.

trillian said they dont have plans to port to linux.

its a chicken/egg problem. noone ports apps because noone uses linux. noone uses linux cause noone ports apps.

the difference here is that it wont cost you anything to start using linux, while it does cost adobe/currilian(sp) money to port their apps. so unfortunatly, we the egss must start using linux now, and hope we hatch a nice chicken err... penguin.

Have you considered dual booting Linux and Windows?

Ed: re-read the original question. I think that's quite true for me; I don't think I could ever go back to only using WIndows, even if there are apps for what I do on Linux. There's just a completely different attitude when using Linux... what I mean is, there was work, time, and effort involved in getting the system set up and maintaining it, so seeing it working holds more value to me than seeing Windows working.

Edited by scaife

I run Linux on my laptop, and a second pc at the house. XP is on my Tri-monitor setup. It's not a question of whether or not I should run linux, and if I should run it rather than windows. I'm just curious about how many people would be lost without linux. I know those strict sissies running Windows just don't know enough about computers to handle a real OS.

post-35193-1112409410_thumb.jpg

Right now I'm far too used to linux to even consider going back to windows.

Whenever I have to use windows for whatever reason (mostly coding win32 stuff) it doesn't feel right to me, I really miss my linux' desktop behaviour, my four virtual desktops and my terminal :ninja: as soon as the work is done I get away from windows as fast as I can.

Only thing about windows that I like better than before is that now that I'm not using it myself as primary OS I don't longer care about crashes of viral infections. I mean those might happen or not, but if they do I won't have to deal with the mess :shifty:

eh, it's not about looks at all. It's about performance.

585712305[/snapback]

true, but when you have three screens, its awesome no matter how slow it is :laugh:

My windows machine is an Ath 64 3500+, MSI Neo2 Platinum mobo, 2gb pc3200ddr, 500gb HDD(2x250gb) and photoshop runs absolutely amazing no matter how much additional crap is running.

so is your problem with wine that you dont know how to use it or that it is too slow. because like you said, photoshop will scream on that thing. and i cant imagine trillian having a hard time either...;)

I run Linux on my laptop, and a second pc at the house. XP is on my Tri-monitor setup. It's not a question of whether or not I should run linux, and if I should run it rather than windows. I'm just curious about how many people would be lost without linux. I know those strict sissies running Windows just don't know enough about computers to handle a real OS.

585712241[/snapback]

I'm sorry... by "real OS" you mean Linux?

I hope that's an april fools joke or something.

Sorry, it's hard to tell today.

I've become more and more disappointed with Linux as of late. Why anyone would use it over FreeBSD or Windows is beyond my understanding.

Why anyone would use it over [...] Windows is beyond my understanding.

585712494[/snapback]

;)

Sorry, it's hard to tell today.

I've become more and more disappointed with Linux as of late.  Why anyone would use it over FreeBSD or Windows is beyond my understanding.

585712494[/snapback]

did you just say what i think you just said?

how come you are becoming dissapointed with linux "as of late"?

its the same kernel, just faster, more secure and less buggy than hte last version. so what about that dissapoints you?

There is some mod this guy wrote for the GIMP that makes it look like Photoshop dont remember the site but it was on slashdot recently.

585712289[/snapback]

that some guy is me :laugh: . i ported that for linux. it isnt groundbreaking or something. just to tell Gimp people whats needed to be done with it.

and Scraggles. seeing the kindo-of setup you are running, i guess money for computer purpose is not a problem for you. so i wanted to know those who like trillian and photoshop so much. wud they pay for it if it was ported to linux?

of if it was ported but made a payware, then you would see why Gaim and Gimp are good options and with some more development in functionality, can rock your boat.

Less buggy? Oh come on. You must not be using the same 2.6 that the rest of us are. And now they're moving to a 4-branch release schedule... just more chaos.

I've nothing against Linux really. I just find it hard to believe that anyone would think Linux is the only "real OS." In my mind Linux is near the bottom of that list.

Less buggy?  Oh come on.  You must not be using the same 2.6 that the rest of us are.  And now they're moving to a 4-branch release schedule... just more chaos.

I've nothing against Linux really.  I just find it hard to believe that anyone would think Linux is the only "real OS."  In my mind Linux is near the bottom of that list.

585713015[/snapback]

no, same kernel.

anyway, i think what he means by real os is that linux is the only one of the major three that lets you take full control of your computer.

i think he realizes that windows is an OS as well :rolleyes:

anyway, i think what he means by real os is that linux is the only one of the major three that lets you take full control of your computer.

585713030[/snapback]

In what way?

I'm sorry... by "real OS" you mean Linux? 

585712443[/snapback]

of course... silly, we all know Linux is a kernel ;)