Linux: I actually missed it.

Less buggy?  Oh come on.  You must not be using the same 2.6 that the rest of us are.  And now they're moving to a 4-branch release schedule... just more chaos.

I've nothing against Linux really.  I just find it hard to believe that anyone would think Linux is the only "real OS."  In my mind Linux is near the bottom of that list.

585713015[/snapback]

I'm running Debian 3.1 testing, never have I had a single kernel panic. I've had Totem and Rhythmbox lock up, because the intel8x0 drivers are **** with gstreamer, other than that no problems what's so ever. So, unless you can show me something to convince me otherwise, then your comment is mere drivel to me.

Just so you know:

On my Debian laptop I'm running 2.6.8-2-386

On my Gentoo boxes I'm running Gentoo Sources 2.6.11-r5.

that some guy is me  :laugh:  . i ported that for linux. it isnt groundbreaking or something. just to tell Gimp people whats needed to be done with it.

and Scraggles. seeing the kindo-of setup you are running, i guess money for computer purpose is not a problem for you. so i wanted to know those who like trillian and photoshop so much. wud they pay for it if it was ported to linux?

of if it was ported but made a payware, then you would see why Gaim and Gimp are good options and with some more development in functionality, can rock your boat.

585713010[/snapback]

I would pay in a heartbeat to have trillian or Photoshop on Linux. I pay to have them on windows. I don't like Linux because most software is free. I like it because of what g-n-t said below.

no, same kernel.

anyway, i think what he means by real os is that linux is the only one of the major three that lets you take full control of your computer.

i think he realizes that windows is an OS as well  :rolleyes:

585713030[/snapback]

I run Linux on my laptop, and a second pc at the house. XP is on my Tri-monitor setup. It's not a question of whether or not I should run linux, and if I should run it rather than windows. I'm just curious about how many people would be lost without linux. I know those strict sissies running Windows just don't know enough about computers to handle a real OS.

585712241[/snapback]

I can't get by without Linux. I HAVE to use it for my servers period. Yes, I have ran Windows servers, FreeBSD, NetBSD and even UNIX for many years. I love the stability, the security, the performance, and most of all the control of Linux. I don't use a GUI much, so I don't really care about its advances as a desktop OS, even though it is advancing quite well currently. But if I had to switch to Windows and pay the lincense fees that I would have to pay. However, it isn't all about money, it is about quality for me. Quality is the number 1 priority.

Less buggy?  Oh come on.  You must not be using the same 2.6 that the rest of us are.  And now they're moving to a 4-branch release schedule... just more chaos.

I've nothing against Linux really.  I just find it hard to believe that anyone would think Linux is the only "real OS."  In my mind Linux is near the bottom of that list.

585713015[/snapback]

I don't have any stability issues with the kernel. I'm not sure what exactly your problems are, but I do know many Linux hobbyists, average Linux users, and even some server admins who run bleeding edge versions of apps and will have stability issues. And when they complain I really can't see why they could. They don't run bleeding edge stuff on Windows normally, because OSS isn't very big on Windows and closed source apps usually don't offer very open testing grounds for everyone. The worst version people may run is ?eta on Windows, but in Linux many people don't realise they are running Alpha versions and some just don't care and take straight out of the CVS every once and awhile.

I guess it is all on perspective if GNU/Linux is a "real OS", but for many of us it is, and for a growing number of us, it is the best.

I would pay in a heartbeat to have trillian or Photoshop on Linux. I pay to have them on windows. I don't like Linux because most software is free. I like it because of what g-n-t said below.

585714160[/snapback]

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/download_trial

try it before you buy it.

This app was pretty much made to run photoshop and MS office, so you are definetly going to have a smooth experience with photoshop.

as for trillian, when i tried cxoffice a while back, 3.0 didnt work, but they might have fixed it now. .74 works great though.

However, the thing i like about KDE is that you can use a regular IM client like kopete or something, and all the cool features of trillian like weather and rss and whatever else are already built in.

Edit: i just looked at the trillian 3 feature list. i take it back, trillian is awesome. now i want it in linux.

Hehe, I for one don't use Trillian for weather or RSS plug-ins... I use it because it's easily the best IM client around.

Scraggles, I was like that with Linux when I first tried RH 5.1. It was interesting, but I just wasn't ready for it (or it for me :unsure: ). It was in the back of my brain, and the next time I tried it (RH7.3), I was hooked, and removed Windows about 9 months later.

It sounds like You and Linux aren't quite ready for each other yet, as you have very specific application requirements. Photoshop may be doable in Linux, but some of the other Microsoft-specific development would require a Genuine Windows environment (at least for testing).

Perhaps your best solution now is dual boot? Or something along the lines of VMWare. I am not a fan of virtual machines, but if rebooting is bothersome, it might be worth the cost.

markjensen, I'm actualy running linux on a seperate pc altogether. I still have to get to know it better before I completely convert.

markjensen, I'm actualy running linux on a seperate pc altogether. I still have to get to know it better before I completely convert.

585716587[/snapback]

Its not really about completely converting, its about getting Linux to fulfill a need or needs that you have. If it can fulfill all of your needs, then there is no reason not to convert, but if it can't provide what you need then why would you convert?

Scraggles,

I just checked Trillian's featurelist, and to be honest, I couldn't find any interesting features Kopete doesn't support. I mean, who needs HTML in AIM profiles? But, undo in the editor, realtime preview of your messages (including color, fontweight, size...), multiprotocol, multiple accounts per protocol, several protocols per client - it's all in Kopete. But wait, there's more:

- Full KAdressbook/ Kontact integration, which means presence indication for IM protocols throughout KDE, per-contact avatar picture in all KDEPIM applications (including Kopete, KMail and KAdressbook), geographic positions...

- Several plugins, like the obvious 'now playing' stuff, but also screensaver integration (which means, in my case - using Kopete + KScreensaver + KDEBluetooth: as soon as I leave the room with my cellphone, KDEBluetooth locks my desktop, activates the screensaver and sets an 'away' status in Kopete), on-the-fly translation using Systran, multilanguage spellcheck, encryption using GnuPG, web presence, per-contact history, messagefiltering, Netmeeting...

- Themeable chat window, using XSLT, as well as the usual emoticons and stuff.

For VisualStudio, the only thing close on Linux would be KDevelop + Qt Designer. And, for Photoshop, you might want to check out Pixel32 - it's very powerful and full-featured, quite a bargain, and available for even the most exotic operating systems:

http://pixel32.box.sk

Linux isn't for everybody, just as windows and MacOS isn't either. It's just a matter of taste and you seem to have evaluated the different choices and chose windows, which is fine if it does it for you. What I find disturbing is all the little "I-luw-Bill-Gates"-fockers who proclaim that Linux is such a lousy OS because it isn't the same as windows.

Yeah and GIMP is not as good as photoshop, and I never really liked emulating things. I think you should just use windows, or maybe dualboot if you feel like it.

that some guy is me  :laugh:  . i ported that for linux. it isnt groundbreaking or something. just to tell Gimp people whats needed to be done with it.

585713010[/snapback]

Damn fine work there Kyro. Where the heck is a thumbs up emoticon?

Don't bother to use Linux. I love it, run it on all my desktop computers + servers, probably wouldn't run anything else.

But if you are dependant on some windows apps, don't bother switching. It's too much pain and grief, WINE isn't ready yet and I don't think it ever will be, especially for vs-must-use-every-bleeding-edge-windows-API-because-it's-just-there-.net.

I spent all of last night and tonight trying to get all 3 monitors working with both Ubuntu and Suse 9.2. After scouring google for hours on end, I had no luck. So, I have Ubuntu on one of the 3 LCD's. The quality of CRT's actually disgusts me and makes me dizzy.

As for any of the emulators not being completely ready yet, that's true. However, when they are, It'll be that much better because I'll be on linux anyway.

I know those strict sissies running Windows just don't know enough about computers to handle a real OS.

585712241[/snapback]

i'm not a sissy ! ! ! just lazy :happy:

i don't want to bother compiling, patching, finding version dependancies, etc.

oh not to mention all the line commands you have to learn :wacko:

i'm not a sissy ! ! !  just lazy  :happy:

i don't want to bother compiling, patching, finding version dependancies, etc.

oh not to mention all the line commands you have to learn :wacko:

585737921[/snapback]

You have no idea what you are talking about. You have to learn commands for a GUI now? Package managers make programs easier to install than programs in Windows. And Windows isn't hard by any means.

Keep the FUD to yourself. No offense, but if you have never used it, then you shouldn't comment on it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You have to learn commands for a GUI now? Package managers make programs easier to install than programs in Windows. And Windows isn't hard by any means.

Keep the FUD to yourself. No offense, but if you have never used it, then you shouldn't comment on it.

585737930[/snapback]

ah see when i was interested in linux as a kid in highschool they didn't have all the conviniences of today. i suppose it would be a lot esier than back then but still harder to mess with than windows. and that's why most people use windows

ah see when i was interested in linux as a kid in highschool they didn't have all the conviniences of today. i suppose it would be a lot esier than back then but still harder to mess with than windows. and that's why most people use windows

585737956[/snapback]

Ah ok I see your situation then. I remember those days, but GNU/Linux still really isn't harder than Windows to master.

The biggest problem in a transition from Windows to Linux is that they operate differently. That's it. If someone who never used Windows, or at least Windows extensively wouldn't have much of a problem in Linux.

markjensen has a good example of this where his kids use Linux if I'm not mistaken.

The thing is, Linux is easier than windows.

1) I don't EVER have to scan for adware/spyware/viruses

2) I don't have to worry about defragmenting.

3) Installation of additional software for the most part is MUCH easier than windows. I open the Package Manger(Ubuntu). Hit the search button, Type in whatever I need, enter, and Voila! Everything I need. I check the boxes, hit 'apply' and everything downloads and installs automatically. Much easier than windows, where you have to Open a browser. Google for what I want if I don't know the direct url. Once I get to the page, I have to search for a download link. Then, I have to download the file, open it and go through another series of menus/pages just to have the software finally installed.

Yes, for linux, you have to learn some commands, but usually only for more advanced features.

Linux is easier to manage than windows. It's rare that you'll see horrible performance on a Nix box. Even a p3 450mhz Nix box performs better than your typical Wal-Mart E-Machines running at 2.5ghz.

Also, keep this one in mind, I repair friends and families computers on a daily basis. I have installed Linux on a number of those computers.

Since, I have not had a problem with those computers.