[Question]Motorcycle mufflers

I have the stock exhaust on the bike right now. I want a muffler that sounds a little louder. I don't race at all, so I don't think I want to get a full muffler replacement. However, slipons are still good for sound right? Is this something that can be installed easily?

I have a 2004 Yamaha R6, so what would you recommend?

http://www.carpimoto.it/product/Lang_EN/Ch.../Prod_17051.htm

that's the one I'd recommend...there are a ton of good ones out there...be sure not to get one for racing only

This is a good one too...will sound about the same at idle, but at higher revs will sound a lot better...and it's cheape rthan the one above:

http://www.carpimoto.it/product/Lang_EN/Ch.../Prod_18053.htm

Question, why would you want it louder?

585765876[/snapback]

One reason is safety. If someone in a car can hear me better while I am beside them, then they are less likely to try to move into my lane and hit me. Secondly, it sounds good and is sometimes smaller in size than the stock muffler.

http://www.carpimoto.it/product/Lang_EN/Ch.../Prod_17051.htm

that's the one I'd recommend...there are a ton of good ones out there...be sure not to get one for racing only

This is a good one too...will sound about the same at idle, but at higher revs will sound a lot better...and it's cheape rthan the one above:

http://www.carpimoto.it/product/Lang_EN/Ch.../Prod_18053.htm

585765026[/snapback]

Cool, thanks for the links. I have never heard of that brand before. I was looking at the D&D and Yoshimuras. So slip ons are simple enough to install yourself right? No need to take them to a dealer for install?

both you listed are good aswell. There's a TON of good brands out there. Slip ons are easy to install, I won't get into it because it should just be obvious once you get the muffler. Pretty much it's just a bolt you unscrew on the clamp holding on the muffler. See a clamp on your exhaust pipe when it just comes out of the bottom of your body? You unscrew that bolt, take off the stock exhaust, put on the new one, and screw the bolt back up. There's a good pic of what it looks like here: http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/productnew...tnewsmiddle.htm

akrapovic is a good brand, I highly recommend them. There are many other good brands aswell, but they do make a solid product I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

as for a dealer...I personally wouldn't let them know at any time you changed the exhaust. Yamaha specifically is very against doing so and it could void any warranty you might still have. It's so easy to install anyways you'll have no problems

If you've ever heard any bike go by with a Hindle, you'll definatly know what I mean when I say get a Hindle;);)

Yamaha R6 + Hindle = Bliss.

585766949[/snapback]

there are 2 problems with the hindles. 1: You bike will be very sluggish in low rpms unless you replace your entire exhaust system. 2: it's expensive.

If oyu were to go for a full system, they'd be one of the top choices, but for just a muffler, I personally wouldn't bother

It is a safty feature to have a louder muffler. When people are trying to cut you off, just put the clutch in and rev. Thats what my dad did when she had her harley.

umm...I'm confused and down-right blushing because of this

585767133[/snapback]

I think we witnessed a massive typo there... :)

You know those carbon fiber cannons they are putting on all the ricer cars now? My dad has one on his Triumph Daytona.. it sounds awesome.

585772999[/snapback]

umm...1: i've never seen a carbon fibre cannon muffler 2: all the cannon mufflers I've ever seen have been for cars. A car one will NOT fit on this bike without some modification to the muffler's intake, or to the diameter of the exhaust pipes themselves (such as replacing the whole exhaust system or flaring the tip of the pipe). I'd also imagine it'd be a lot louder than regulations would permit since the restriction would be a lot less. I can see getting pulled over for having one of those on your bike

See, these mufflers they are putting on rice cars are suppose to make the car sound like a motorcycle. Now putting those canons on a motorcycle is trying to make a motorcycle sound like a car who is trying to sound like a motorcycle.

*Last statement does not compute!*

hahaha

See, these mufflers they are putting on rice cars are suppose to make the car sound like a motorcycle. Now putting those canons on a motorcycle is trying to make a motorcycle sound like a car who is trying to sound like a motorcycle.

*Last statement does not compute!*

hahaha

585775706[/snapback]

LMAO! It's funny because it's sorta true