.bat file programming help!

Question

here at work i use norton ghost to install image files from the network onto pc's we will be using.. the problem is that the network enabling boot disk only works on certain pc's... on the other ones i need to create a new boot disk that uses different nic card drivers, and installs a different image(each model number gets a different image) what i want to do is create a boot disk that starts up a menu, that you select your model number, and from there it uses the correct config files to load the nic card, and laod the correct image...

there is a command line for norton ghost so i don't need to start up the program...

... any help on this???

TIA

-Mick0142

10 answers to this question

Why don't you just upgrade to 7.5 and use the Ghost Console? I work for a nationwide training facility, and this is how we do it. I have ten classrooms and over 130 PC's that are ghosted every week. Where do you work?

I also have all 3Com Nic's and this is why I fought for these cards...they work great with Ghost.

i already know the ghost command line.. and i just wanted to use it over the gui so the person who replaces me (i am a summer intern) can just put in the disk, and select what model... my problem is writing the actual .bat file, as our company has strict software usage polocies.., and not all of our comps are the same...

With the Ghost Console, you wouldn't have to have a disk. It does everything from a central location. It also does different platforms as well. We use Dell's and Gateway's here.

I could write the batch file for you, but what I would recommend would be to create a boot partition on each machine and store the files there. This way you wouldn't have to have floppies either. Ghost is very flexible....

i need a disk to get onto our network though... right now these pc's are coming right out of the box preinstalled with crap we don't want... so i boot it up with a disk right now and it enables the network...i put in the stup passord for our network, then i type "net use z: ...images" and map the network drive... from there i just type "ghost" and use the gui.. but i could type in the ghost command line and do it that way... i would like to eliminate all that and put in the disk, select the model.. have it use the correct nic card drivers for that comp... and just run through the mapping and everything for me... then have it also use the correct image for the comp (we use different images for every model because of what department and such they go in...

Originally posted by Toaster

I understand what you're asking, check that link I posted...

to be completely honest i have no clue what that web site is trying to do... i am not setting environments or whatnot... right???

Ok, so your boot disk loads up with an autoexec.bat, that asks you to choose the model of PC you're building....

:CHOICE

CLS

ECHO Select your model:

ECHO 1) Dell workstation

ECHO 2) Compaq workstation

PUTINENV P "Enter Choice (1,2): " 1

SET OPTION=X

IF %STRING%==1 SET OPTION=DELL

IF %STRING%==2 SET OPTION=COMPAQ

IF %OPTION%==X GOTO CHOICE

GOTO %OPTION%

So then you have another section part in the batch file that loads the drivers, and does your ghost bit because you'll have a different image for each type of PC...

:DELL

(load dell DOS NIC drivers)

(command line to launch ghost with the dell image)

:COMPAQ

(load the compaq NIC bits)

(command line to launch ghost with the compaq image)