Network Diagram for college

First time we have done one, and wondering if im doing it rite.

Needs to have

3 servers

5 workstation

2 switchs

1 router

1 gateway

ISP

Server 1 for DHCP and DNS

Server 2 is a web server

Server 3 network stroage

1 work station on a star network

other 4 work station on a bus network

For our first diagram i think hes dropped us in it pretty hard, but hes what i've come up with.

But im pretty sure its wrong.

Also wouldn't you want to use the router to connect the 3 servers directly to the ISP?

585765872[/snapback]

Would i need to do it like that??? cause there is a actualy webserver.

But really i would like you to tell me, because i do not know

Well depends on the requirements, you taking a network class I suppose?

I would assume that you would need at least 2 of the 3 servers online (web server and dns/dhcp server) not sure if the file server would need to be online globally

Well depends on the requirements, you taking a network class I suppose?

I would assume that you would need at least 2 of the 3 servers online (web server and dns/dhcp server) not sure if the file server would need to be online globally

585765918[/snapback]

the file server isnt global.

Bit of a tricky one as a gateway and a router can be said to be very similar if you look at these webtopia definitions

Router (row?ter) (n.) A device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP?s network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect.

Gateway - In enterprises, the gateway node often acts as a proxy server and a firewall. The gateway is also associated with both a router, which use headers and forwarding tables to determine where packets are sent, and a switch, which provides the actual path for the packet in and out of the gateway.

This is pretty similar to your diagram just with correct shapes.

One thing is looking at webopia is that a single pc cannot make a star network.

Also the use of switches or hubs pretty much means you wouldnt have a bus network as these connect to a single cable. Perhaps quote these definitions in your answers?

webopedia Network Topologies

This is how I would see it.

I added the ip address of the machines to try and show that the router would differentiate traffic to different locations which would normally be behind a firewall of some description (possibly the gateway or the router).

So the web server is in its only network lan segment. While the rest of the servers and PCs are in another network lan segment allowing free access between them.

post-47048-1113342408_thumb.jpg

tar mate that helped.

Now what cabling goes ware?

CAT5 from switchs to the workstation and printer

is it copper from router to server, and servers to switches?

Does isp also use copper?

I would say cat 5 every where except from ISP to Gateway / Router.

This would likely be some type of fibreoptic or copper link depending on the connection speed. Fibreoptics is what all the big ISPs will link with.

After going to college. We need to add this now.

Server 1 now is also a file server

Server 3 is not a exchange server.

I'm not sure were to connect server 3 upto. Also does the laser printer have a nic? (network card) and have i missed any RJ47 (network adapters) or network cards anyware?