[Help!] Crashed "X"

X fails to start when i reboot. heres what happened, i still wasnt able to achive the desired resolution of 1152x864. So with some advice from the Ubunnut irc room i was told to delete all other resolutions in my xorg.conf file (forgot to back it up, i know ;) ) and logout , hit CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart X. however this wasnt succesful so i asked if i can change my "display" from "Generic Monitor" to what my monitor actually is: "Sony Trinitron Multiscan 200SX" ( i know this monitor can get 1152x8 because its max res can go up to 1280x10 and i have done so in Windows XP) So i did so and now X crashed and all i have is the Terminal.

HELP! :cry:

Login and navigate to your /etc/X11/ directory. See if there is an xorg.conf~ (or other such potential backup) file. Those are typically automatically made when you make an edit (depends on app).

Login and navigate to your /etc/X11/ directory.  See if there is an xorg.conf~ (or other such potential backup) file.  Those are typically automatically made when you make an edit (depends on app).

585766590[/snapback]

I'm sure i can navigate to it (etc/X11/xorg.conf) but how/what can i edit that file in order to get x backup and running and to have an actual GUI

Some apps will automatically make a backup for you. cd to /etc/X11 and do an ls. If it looks like there is a backup, rm the old (bad) file, and mv [backup.file] xorg.conf. Switch to runlevel 5 and you should be up and running.

If not, then run xorgconfig, as j79zir recommended to create a new file.

What they are saying about the backup files is that some apps, especially the 'essential' ones will create a backup if any changes are made in case of misconfiguration such as this case. Almost always the backup file made will be: filename.ext~, so in your case it should be: xorg.conf~.

Some people don't have the xorgconf utility. If you can't rerun it then one of us can post a generic type one that will get your X started back.