i recently imported a psp from america and when it arrived i got a call saying that i have to pay ?80 before i can have it, i am wondering where this came from or would this be import tax

I think you're only allowed to import in one package goods worth ?18 or less before you have to pay VAT. Thus, I got Return of the King cheaper imported from Amazon America, even granting the cost of postage, than I could get here. And, as it was under ?18, there was no duty! :rofl:l:

I think it all depends on who you ship it with. I shipped my first PSP with DHL and got charged just under ?70 (order was over ?300 though). The second PSP was shipped with UPS and I got charged ?40 (order of about ?230).

The joys of living in the UK. That ?80 will now go into someones back pocket to heat their swiming pool for a day.

585770558[/snapback]

Oh come now people -- Queen Elizabeth has to eat :laugh:gh:

Thats loadsa tax.....

Its 'cos of tax levels like this that companys try and rip us off with general marketing..... cost and release dates of products in the UK compared to the rest of the world. The government say they are "investigating on behalf of the consumer" but its not in their interest to do anything about it, 'cos if they do people wont import and they wont get their money for doin' jack.

To think, with product prices high and release dates that take the proverbial large corps wonder why people pirate movies and music..... WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE MEDIA CORPS. If I can have a 3 course meal for ?4 why would I go to McMurderBurgers ?

Oh come now people -- Queen Elizabeth has to eat ! :laugh:

585773099[/snapback]

Its not the Queen. Its Mr. Blair/Mr. Brown and their fellow politicians.

I have a question.

Why did you import a PSP from the US anyways? Where they not released in the UK? Where they not release in the U.K. before the U.S? Dazzla had his in December when he posted his review. Please correct me if I am wrong, and further explain this to me, its very interesting.

If I remember correctly Dazzla had his imported from Japan as did I - I presume he would've paid duties / custom fees on his also. But not as much as it is to have it shipped from the US. Something to do with exchange rates I think :wacko: .

thats the trouble with the uk, we have to pay stupidly high prices for stuff when you can get those same things in america for basicly nothing. tax, vat is a crap and should be dont away with. gov has got enough money and when they get more they just waste it on crappy buildings, useless "improvements" to towns etc, bs laws, and much more.

and that one little word can prevent all that "gift"

you did get hit hard, ?80, damn, how much was it alltogether with the tax?

Okay, but does it cost more in the U.K. then the U.S.? I wonder if importing to save money is really worth it after you pay your duties. I love that

"duties" I wish they would use it in the U.S.

Okay, but does it cost more in the U.K. then the U.S.? I wonder if importing to save money is really worth it after you pay your duties.  I love that

"duties" I wish they would use it in the U.S.

585773548[/snapback]

Its not even out here for possibly a minimum of 4 months

Wow, I work for the Inland Revenue, who has now merged with Customs and Excise. I didn't realise I was so hated :p

It's not the UK's decision to charge import duties/tax on imports. AFAIK it's down the the EU. Any country within the EU must charge duties on items imported from outwith the EU in an effort to keep trade within the EU

it now comes upto about ?500:huh:: :pinch:: :angry:: i did buy two and a few extra ga:whistle:: mes:happy:: im just gonna wait till the uk releases now :whistle::