• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

LaraBoft    4

The registry option didn't work. :(

The display properties did work, but as you said, it looks ****ty. :hurt:

The tweakUI option also did not work.

Ah what the hell, so XP keeps reminding that it's only for testing purposes...... :) ;) :p

ady199    7

I have just Installed WINXP SP1 1063 build, (I Originally had 1060), I can't understand whats happening. My IE says 1063, but on my desktop it still syays 1060 and on my system info screen it says 1060.

Can anyone help..????

Khujo    0

ady199, i would uninstall the service pack back to No Service Pack status, then reinstall the newest one.

Also, I've gotten 1065 to some people, expect links later tonight.

Roger H.    776

well i'm still waiting... :)

macatak911    0

1065.JPG

theres a screenshot

raid517    0

Hmm well I dunno... I give up I have 1063 - but these seem to be daily builds, hence the occasional skip in build number when one slips the net (maybe the leakers day off?) - anyway there's likely to be a lot more build numbers between now and July/August, or whenever MS cave in to OEM pressure to get the pack out - so its going to be pretty hard to keep up. I guess I will probably just wait now. I don't see anything particulary buggy about this build - though I had some problems with add remove programs on previous builds, possibly due to some tweaking of my own, particularly some eiting that allowed a freestyles option to show up on the add remove programs tab. I tried clicking it to get freestyles to load, but no luck. I guess you really do need special hardware after all). Anyway it seems kind of pontless - who has the highest build number and all - it was like this with XP b e t a s & RCs - and in the end we all got the same version.

Q

raid517    0

Lol this is nuts, for some reason this forum thinks the word ***** i.e. b e t a s is a swear word and replaces it with stars! Try it! Mind you when placed next to MS the word b e t a probably is a swear word!

:D :D

Q

***** b e a t a s ***** b e t a s ooooh baby!

Aqua.NET    0

I will have 1065 in a couple hours i will give access then

i sleep now

proof.JPG

azazel-    0

it does that because certain words pertaining to certain irc channels are banned on neowin.

raid517    0

Oh and BTW I'm not sure but I don't think slip streaming for the corp leak will work. It looks like MS may be planning on blocking future copying of its O/S, particularly those sold with SP1 preinstalled. Don't flame me for this, but I have tried a large number of keys (I'll leave it to your imigination to work out how I got them) but none of them work on a slip streamed SP1 install. Maybe I'm missing something though. Anyone out there care to give it a go? Of course, there is always a way round everything, but I would rather take the shortest approach, just so I know if its possible when the final SP is released. Has anyone sucessfully managed to slip stream the SP into a corp CD? If so can you tell us how it was done? To avoid confusion it is best to assume that any such process was carried out on a legitamate corporate version of the CD. In any case I don't think this is a matter of 'circumvention' since in any case this may not be possible - simply a practical discussion of a legitamate users experiences with their own corp CD of how they installed the SP.

Q

it does that because certain words pertaining to certain irc channels are banned on neowin

Mmm so for a site that is mad on b e t a testing, how do you ever say the word b e t a s without ever saying it? Mmm a little odd... Understandable, but still odd...

astrokat    14
Originally posted by mh508

Guys, SP1 will refuse to install on leaked-key windows XP systems and simultaniously disable Windows Update because you tried to cheat off of Microsoft! Double trouble for those guys who will try it!

So summing up:

If you try to install SP1 on a Windows XP (warezed key) it will:

1. Refuse to run and install

2. Disable Windows Update as a penalty for thinking you can beat Microsoft :evil:

I'm sure in a few days after the SP1 release there will be some kind of a workarround for both of these :cheeky:

Kind Regards to the neowinians out there, and good luck to those you 'are no better than they should be' :p

Raptor

Will it block the corporate update site? ;)

astrokat    14

When I unstalled 1060, that evalutaion thing stayed on my desktop. Matter of fact, it said Evaluation Copy 2600 !!!!!! Only on my desktop though. I started to panic, but when ahead and installed 1065. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have this problem?

azazel-    0

So, when is Microsoft planning on implementing this wonderful new anti-warez ability? I'm running 1065, WindowsUpdate still works, still able to download stuff, and still using my "own" key.

raid517    0
So, when is Microsoft planning on implementing this wonderful new anti-warez ability? I'm running 1065, WindowsUpdate still works, still able to download stuff, and still using my "own" key.

Don't you think its a bit silly to taunt them like that in public? You are of course entitled to your opinion, but if I were you and had a free copy of XP I would simply be grateful and wouldn't feel any need to come on forums like this and openly boast to MS about it. People do tend to forget MS read these pages too - and that this isn't some closed private club that MS can never get into.

In any case I doubt MS will ban those work arounds already discovered, since it seems they have acknowleged that banning all the tricks that crackers use to get around WPA would probably render their O/S unusable for their ordinary customers. There is even it seems a possible work around floating around should MS attempt to ban any of the keys on versions of XP with SP1 preinstalled - but more on that when the official service pack is released.... So I doubt MS are all that interested in blocking the professional crackers - as ultimately I expect they know that such a task would prove pointless. They have always said that their main objective is to prevent 'casual piracy' - which is basically Joe Bloggs making a copy for his niece and his granny and giving it away for free. The other strategy seems to be deterence, working with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies to promote large scale busts of commecial pirates and prominant cracker groups. By doing this I guess they would hope to scare most people away from induging in piracy. And hey, it seems to work - MS are after all one of the richest corporations on the planet - so despite all this so called piracy, they don't seem to be doing at all badly.

I think though it would be nice if forum moderators would at least attempt to prevent openly boastful taunts from those who have illegal software installed on their PCs - as this seems unhelpful to the spirit of neowin. Surely if you are lucky enough to have such things, you shouldn't feel the need to **** the software developers off and come in here and blab about how you ripped them off and pirated their goods? It just seems kind of dumb to openly say it like that. BTW this isn't a flame - and I' m not interested in a flame war with anyone, so if anyone plans to start one, then I'm sorry your wasting your breath. (I have some paint I would rather watch drying). Lets chill for now and see what moves if any MS make for the final SP release. Anything else right now is just pure speculation.

Regards,

Q

raid517    0

Like I said anyway, this is getting kind of pointless. I just heard that 1067 will leak early next week, if that is its not replaced with a higher build in the mean time. These are daily builds, so literally there could be a new one every day until final is out. I have more useful things to use my bandwidth for than just to keep downloading this dumb service pack.

Q

pmcartney    0

I would enjoy a link to WIN2k SP3

--Rich

Everyone seems to have forgotten that XP is a gui on top of a 32 bit gui

raid517    0

For a sec I thought that was a 2K SP3 link - which might have been mildly interesting. But as for XP, well I'm sticking with 1065 until the final is out. There are just too many builds to keep up with it.

Q

ady199    7

Has anyone found away of getting the text 'testing purposes only' on the desktop removed. I'm currently running 1065 SP1 build.

Thanks in advance.

Roger H.    776

it just doesn't... leave it there it's cute! LOL if you don't want it you'll loose the transparency on your icons so just leave it...

sgtLENIN    0

anyone else got this while trying to install 1065_xpsp1.exe ? -> the product key used to install Windows is invalid. Bla bla bla... hmm! :pirate:

raid517    0

FCKGW... Says it all really...

Q

Roger H.    776

yeah, hehe.. you can't use that key with XP SP1 and not even the final... it's a blocked key and it wonlt allow you to upgrade.