• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

sgtLENIN    0

so, how come you ppl can install it? :)

glockfan    0

gotta change your key. there are several tutorials about doing it dome will even give you a new key to try (i personally have 54 Corp Keys to use ) got them from a site.... PM me if you want the site with all the info or ICQ me at 64357175

glockfan    0

Check your email Jasco

UNCcrombie    0

I installed 1060 and archived my orginal files when it prompted me. When I went to remove 1060 and upgrade to 1065, 1060 didnt uninstall right (or never did but the option was removed from the add/remove programs box) so i just upgraded over choosing not to archive seeing i figured it'd save the 1060 files over my original. Basically what i'm asking is there a way to remove 1065 now and revert back to original? There is no option to in the add/remove programs box, so i'm kinda in trouble aren't i?

sgtLENIN    0

hmm.... yeah, i installed it... key worked and all that, then i restarted and thing got black and restarted my computer so i had to use the repair function to get XP up again then

this happened -> i cant install the nvdia drivers. i run the setup but it installs way to fast and i dont detect any hardware. i used the latest official from nvidia.com. someone have uninstall prog for this or something? looks like there are some stuff in the reg and .sys left from before the reparing...

so, i dont think i will try the SP1 anymore :)

raid517    0

Hmm well it is just a beta service pack - and if your system was stable before the SP then there shouldn't really be a need to mess with any new beta code. My guess is that you might have had some incompatable hardware or software installed. Installing a SP requires only a little common sense. What this means is that you should probably only install it over a fresh install of your OS and that you should probably disconnect any unecessary hardware too. This means uninsalling everything you don't need, right down to CD Rom drives, so that you are left with only floppy drive, Keyboard (PS2 pererably), motherboard, mouse, processor, monitor and memory. Then if all goes well, reinstall each piece of hardware and software one at a time and test to see if any problems emerge. That way you should be able to identify any incompatabilities with components installed on your system. If you are too lazy, or just don't have the time to do this, then the chances of you ending up in trouble are probably pretty high.

As for going back to a previous service pack version, this shouldn't be a problem, so long as you have the SP in question. Just stick your XP CD in your CD drive and choose upgrade at the promt - this should wipe out your previous SP install - and then when this is done install the pervious service pack of your choice. If you had properly archived your files and saved them to a seperate location, other than the default location, this wouldn't really be a problem. Quite often though a lot of this can be down to impatience, the service pack takes a long time to install and people panic and hit abort before the process is properly complete. But providing you are patient the installation will normally complete without a problem - providing that is, you take the steps outlined above. It may be laborious - but ultimately it should prove worthwhile.

Regards,

Q

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by Jasco

so, i dont think i will try the SP1 anymore :)

i'm not either until it goes final

Borg77    0

I would have to agree with cody. All this downloading everyday makes me dizzy. :ponder:

Khujo    0

1068.jpg

No kidding this is getting very repetative, but here goes the cycle again

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by Khujo

No kidding this is getting very repetative, but here goes the cycle again

the sad thing is that it is just a service pack for pete's sake. :s

Borg77    0
Originally posted by codyg11

the sad thing is that it is just a service pack for pete's sake. :s

Yes, but they can download it because they can codyg11.

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by Borg77

Yes, but they can download it because they can codyg11.

that was JMHO.

raid517    0

Agreed, if you want to potentially download a new service pack build every day for up to the next two months or so, then feel free. Personally, I give up - and will just wait for final now. I have other things I would like to download.

Q

Roger H.    776

hehe, i love this freaking cycle!! HEHE, everyday a new one and something to HUNT! GR8, now i just gotta get out my goggles (3D ones) and my gun (nintendo gun) and start the hunt! HEHE..

Khujo    0

I have noticed a fix to something that was broken in previous builds, when i opened a chat window in yahoo messenger, i would get an active x error messege, finally its fixed :)

Roger H.    776

whoa hoo.. yeah.. finally... what's your yahoo screename? I'm on yahoo now too...

wI-OSMAN-    0

:)

another build lol

i skipped the 1065 because i knew 1068 was comming soon

i was watching t.v ..then came online then pow 1068 is out :)

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by wI-OSMAN-

:)

another build lol

i skipped the 1065 because i knew 1068 was comming soon

i was watching t.v ..then came online then pow 1068 is out :)

and how would you know this by chance? and the build number? :rolleyes:

zi0nx5    0

:ponder: probably a stupid question but i'm gettin tired of trying to fix my other comp with XP Home and I just wanna wait for Home SP1. So how is MS gonna make it available once it's all done? boxed versions? download-only? free? does bill want more of my money????

It's also kinda weird that the XP Professional Corporate version is virtually free of bugs whereas the retail versions of XP (both Pro Standard and Home) are crammed with em. i sense a ploy by microsoft again or am i just paranoid? :paranoid:

raid517    0

Well it wouldn't take a genious to work it out. Mmm now let me see, I predict that 1070 0r 1071 will leak by early next week...

Now how I wonder did I 'know' that? :D:D

Q

Roger H.    776

yeah you are paranoid! HAHA, they are the same exact files except for 13 or so files and that's all. The same drivers and same everything else are in pro/home/corp.

SP1 will be available for download and via CDs. It also will be repackaged and "slipstreamed" in the XP and then sold in stores as "Windows XP Pro/Home with SP1" same price but just less work to do...

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by SHoTTa35

yeah you are paranoid! HAHA, they are the same exact files except for 13 or so files and that's all. The same drivers and same everything else are in pro/home/corp.

thank you!

zi0nx5    0

:p hehehehe... uhhh... yeah i do feel a lil stupid

zi0nx5    0
Originally posted by SHoTTa35

SP1 will be available for download and via CDs. It also will be repackaged and "slipstreamed" in the XP and then sold in stores as "Windows XP Pro/Home with SP1" same price but just less work to do...

since i already bought XP Home will i be able to get Home SP1 free though?

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by zi0nx5

since i already bought XP Home will i be able to get Home SP1 free though?

you should be able to get sp1 free if MS does not plan on charging for this service pack. i don't think they will, though.