The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

I got a question bout the SP1 builts:

I managed to switch my cd key from that popular FCK** to a original one. I recently installed SP1 built 1068 and it installed well and rebooted and I'm here talking right now! Does this mean I'm all ok? In the activation window, it doesn't say "this copy is activated"... still says "this copy needs to be activated" but I got the corp snice FCK came with the corp... ANybody can help me on this plz?

thx from advance

Originally posted by Intrabyte

I got a question bout the SP1 builts:

I managed to switch my cd key from that popular FCK** to a original one. I recently installed SP1 built 1068 and it installed well and rebooted and I'm here talking right now! Does this mean I'm all ok? In the activation window, it doesn't say "this copy is activated"... still says "this copy needs to be activated" but I got the corp snice FCK came with the corp... ANybody can help me on this plz?

thx from advance

if it is prompting you to activate when you restart your computer, and/or it says that it needs to be activated then you need to activate it. unless it is generated, if it is an original key you shouldn't have any problems, right?

I changed the key with a ORIGINAL key. After I rebooted it did NOT prompted or asked to activate. I guess I'm ok by what I undersood from you right? :ponder:

I shouldn't gamble if I were you, if it says its noy activated then its not activated. Which means in 14 days or less you will be locked out of your computer. If you have a legitimate key that you bought, then you shouldn't have any problem activating it. You can do this either by phone or via the web.

If you on the other hand have 'lost' your CD key, perhaps some kind members of this notice board might PM you and inform you of how to go about getting some other key/s that will work - and will take care of activation too. I'm sure no one here would particularly mind you asking for help, so long as you don't openly say you are trying to circumvent copy protection.

Q

I'm a gambler and I won't loose this bet.

The fact is that this is the CORP here, before with the famous FCK it used to say the same thing in that activation window and now that I have switched to an original key and that sp1 built 1068 has been succesfully installed, I don't see how it could go wrong :ermm: .

Well that's up to you dude, we wre just trying to help you. It is very strange for XP to say its not activated and then go on working beyond the 14 day time limit. But if you say it does, then fine, no one here will argue with you. Personally I always feel happier when I check my activation if I get the message 'windows has already been activated', which is the message you really should get, whether you use a corp key, or a legitimate one. (Given that there are some legitimate corp keys too). Reinstalling in 14 days won't be so easy either, as once your locked out, your pretty much screwed. But you may be right and have nothing to worry about. But why gamble when you don't have to? If you had have asked a lot of people here could have sent you what you needed to ensure activation wasn't an issue...

Anyway, good luck!

Q

Been running 1060 on my laptop happily since it came out. 1065 and 1068 both give me a nasty bluescreen on boot. With 1065, I successfully used the system restore from safe mode, but 1068 wouldn't let me, I had to uninstall the service pack from the control panel. The blue screen flashes very quickly, and I am unable to glean any useful info from it. Should I uninstall 1060 before trying to move to a later SP? Does anyone have any helpful (i.e. not "wait for final") advice to help me get this running?

Thanks,

AJC

Man isn't that old? 1068 was out yesterday. I've lost interest anyway, I heard over on windowsxp.nu that 1070, or 1071 will be out early next week. But this is crazy, when the SP finally does come out for real, a bunch of people here will have downloded several GB worth of service packs. Would you be so keen to download it if someone told you the service pack was going to be 3 4 or 5 or more GB big? In the end that is what it is going to amount to. I think you have to be a true obseesive to keep donwloading this thing.

Q

welcome novakstyle! Any news on what's changed in this one or not? I know that yahoo "script error" thing works now but what else did they fix officially and stuff that you people notice that runs better or faster or whatever now?

Originally posted by Intrabyte

I'm a gambler and I won't loose this bet.

The fact is that this is the CORP here, before with the famous FCK it used to say the same thing in that activation window and now that I have switched to an original key and that sp1 built 1068 has been succesfully installed, I don't see how it could go wrong :ermm: .

You forgot to register it offline to get a new WPA number first!

It is NOT just the key. start>run> regwiz /r fill in whatever then you get the activation thing choose NOT to send it to MS and cancel. This is true of any legit Corp edition.

---Rich

Remind me why people insist on having the "latest and greatest".

MS is testing bug fixes to see if it all works correctly. You do know you will have to do a clean install after the RTW of the SP is complete?

This is kinda off-topic, but anyway...

I installed B3 of .net this morning, since I didnt have anything else to do.

Whenever I tried to activate over the internet, it crashed :(

I phoned up and got a code from some automated system drone, the only problem was that it gave me the wrong code (not only were the numbers out by a long stretch, but it gave me invalid characters (letters))

I had to fart around with a CS rep to get the right code.

Say NO to product activation.

Originally posted by superrcat

Remind me why people insist on having the "latest and greatest".

MS is testing bug fixes to see if it all works correctly. You do know you will have to do a clean install after the RTW of the SP is complete?

wow what was i thinking. you changed my life. thanks

<>

not

so what devine insipration gave you this tid bit of info??? the tooth fairy? dog?

Originally posted by werejag

wow what was i thinking. you changed my life. thanks

not

so what devine insipration gave you this tid bit of info??? the tooth fairy? dog?

What are you talking about? The fact that you need to do a clean install of Windows XP before applying SP1 gold and not upgrading from a beta installation of SP1? It's not "devine insipration", it's called common sense.