The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

Originally posted by fr33k

my appwiz.cpl is messed up or something :ermm:

can someone who installed sp1 zip it up and email it to me?

I get

Parser Message

Value creation failed" at line 471

That's caused by hacking UxTheme.dll in SP1, switch to Luna and it should work again.

By the way, there was a thread somewhere about this, Dazzla is hosting the "fixed" DLL here: http://idisk.mac.com/vitocorleone/Public/u.../uxthemesp1.zip

Originally posted by Element

That's caused by hacking UxTheme.dll in SP1, switch to Luna and it should work again.

thanks Element

I'll delete my other angery post

I installed it and soon after i rebooted it said the Windows Logon file logonui had some error, and that some wingui file had some problem and had to be replaced...grrrrr and it wouldnt even load safe mode windows, so i had to boot cd reinstall XP all over again :( has this happened to anyone else?

wait for the final sp1 :)

i've used sp1

installed, worked fine, went smoothly, only problem was after i restarted it kept restarting the machine over and over, went into 'last known good configuration', then used system restore to get back

-- its still beta, and you've got to be prepared to reinstall/format/backup if sp1 stuffs up for you (it does happen)

has SP1 locked up on anyone using the hacked uxtheme.dl? or does windows still load fine, minus you not being able to us visual styles without using the new tweaked uxtheme.dll?

Originally posted by iconman

you should've turned System Restore on

i did try to get to last good known configuration but it didnt even go into the desktop, it got stuck on a blank screen

It always amazes me when i listen to people who install beta software then complain later when it screws up the works. For crying out loud, it is beta. Take note of this next time when installing it. One should have the presence of mind to make a backup. Anyone who installs a beta of this nature on their main workstation is just asking for trouble IMO.

Having said that however, it installed fine for me, and is still running smoothly;)

I'm running the DX9 beta and it works fine. I don't really want to install SP1 though. Seems like the opinions aren't all going in one direction, so I'll hold off.

I haven't had any problems at all with SP1. It installed fine. The only bug is that I can't run custom themes. I have replaced my uxtheme.dll with 3-4 different ones and I still have the add/remove bug. But not a big deal at all, I can always run the sliver theme or just go back to default theme in 5 seconds, use add/remove and go back to custom themes. Not a biggie at all

Hey, I can always remove SP1 later on, but for now I will be enjoying a smoother OS.

Hey, after searching around, I think I understand that Freestyle is for viewing this stuff on the television, but with SP1 I still can't get the option to load up (i have my gfx card outputting to tv)

Originally posted by fr33k

anybody use hotmail with sp1? for me it freezes for about 30 seconds every page

Hotmail for me, works fine I can see no change.

--Rich

Yes. It is a known problem. Styles Xp supports up to build 2600. After installing SP1, obviously, you no longer have build 2600, but a more recent revision thus rendering stylesxp incompatible.

Just took the plunge and went through with Installing the Service Pack ! no problems here, I didn't use the key from the NFO file either, just used my own corp key.

Only problem I had was with Style XP as this no longer works. but I went into safe mode and applied a hacked DLL supplied by Phinal Phantasm this works fine after applying it, and following the instructions in the text file.

So I just use Windows to apply my themes with now. Well I hope people who have paid out for Style XP get some thing for their investment, cause it doesn't work anymore on XP if SP 1 is installed ! Waist of money. :D

Not noticed any other problems either, thought maybe my PC is slower at booting up ? but I'll sort this out in the registry or with BootVis maybe :ermm: