• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

Khujo    0

Its a Daily Build not final, I'm sure i'll get my hands on 106x soon also, someone contact me with space/bandwidth who will host it to share. Its the full 125mb installer not a webinstaller. PS close sources have told me that in order to install the final SP1 you must have archived your original Pre SP1 Files. Don't know if its true or not but it is a VERY reliable source.

pmcartney    0
Originally posted by Khujo

Its a Daily Build not final, I'm sure i'll get my hands on 106x soon also, someone contact me with space/bandwidth who will host it to share. Its the full 125mb installer not a webinstaller. PS close sources have told me that in order to install the final SP1 you must have archived your original Pre SP1 Files. Don't know if its true or not but it is a VERY reliable source.

It is VERY true. One can prove this by clicking on their little 1.7mb file and trying to install SP1 1050 again and it checks, it goes thru it and doesn't get anything online. It also says in the beta notes that the final requires<<<<< UNinstallation of 1050. However based on my tests the final probably needs just a download to point it to the server to see if you have the latest files.

SOOOOOOOOOOO it would be to people's advantage IF they want SP1 and only have 56k to download SP1 1050 now.

What I'd appreciate is when SP1 is OEM RTM please let us know!

: )

Thanks!

--Rich

Khujo    0

It does allow you to install the full installs over previous versions tho I ahve gone from 1050 (web installer), to 1052, 1059, and 1060 is on the way now, without uninstalling previous builds and without any ill effects, just a nice running system. I have noticed the file sizes of the builds slowly getting larger Builds 1052 = 122,661KB , 1059 = 122,791KB, 1060 = 123,135KB. I hope each of those is an improvement :)

Khujo    0

1060.jpg

ie1060.jpg

wI-OSMAN-    0

is XP SP1 going final at the end of this month?

or is it just fake stories...that would be cool :)

DanM602    0

You can un-install SP1 right in add remove programs in control panel. :)

I had it installed on my OEM copy of Windows XP Pro and it is all good but kinda slow at times so until about 5 more builds come out I aint gonna use it. :ninja:

Arckon    0

ADVICE ON CIRUMVENTION WILL NOT BE GIVEN. - KELDYN

Khujo    0

Corporate users have already felt the sting of the leaked key, I personally know IT admins who exclusivly use Dell who have had issues with SP1 already and have to get a new key issued once SP1 officially ships. he tried it on some VALID Oem Dell machines and got the lockout issue.

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by Arckon

Could someone tell me about changing my Win XP key from the "evil" key to a "good" key?

Let me inform you that this forum is not the place to find cracks, warez, or anything of that nature. Requests of this nature will not be answered on this forum. Here is the rule for this:

No Warez (links) & Cracks: help. requests or posts that discuss circumvention

I know this is your first post, let's not make this a bad reputation. I am just telling you.

Khujo    0

I'm expecting to have my hands on a new build monday or tuesday.

wI-OSMAN-    0

build 1061 lol

beta leechers are ready to get this new build.. which includes aol alpha 9

Qba73    0

1060 installed.....Runs smooth ;)

davegod75    0

email me for

werejag    0

what i want is an offical SP1 Black List !!!

detailed to what they blacklisted

ady199    7

I have just installed WIN XP SP1 (1060), and it comes up with the build number on the desktop. Is there anyway to get rid of this.

Thanks in advance.

-=gomorrha=-    0

Hey... I also got the sp1-1060 beta but can?t install it when running "2600" or "2800.1005" XP version is there some other way to run the install procedure (I have tried the "update.exe" with modifications in the update.ini file but no good...??)

Roger H.    776

what tha hell are you running... hehe and ady199 the only way is to "Lock Desktop Items" but the transparency from the Icons are removed (don't ask why cuz i don't know)

Display properties

Desktop (tab)

Customise Desktop

Web (tab)

"Lock Desktop Items"

click ok and it goes away but something else comes tho.. hehe so i just leave it there... I'm used to it from back in the beta testing stages of XP.

werejag    0
Originally posted by ady199

I have just installed WIN XP SP1 (1060), and it comes up with the build number on the desktop. Is there anyway to get rid of this.

Thanks in advance.

go to www.regedit.com their is a reg key that covers it

edit

Show Windows Version on Desktop (All Versions) Popular

Category: Home > Windows > Desktop and Explorer

Early versions of Windows showed their version number on the desktop, this feature was removed in the released version. If you're in an environment where it may be useful to quickly locate the version of Windows then this tweak re-enables that feature.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value called 'PaintDesktopVersion' set the value to equal '1' to display the version. set the value to equal '0' to disable the display the version.

Exit the registry, you may need to restart for the change to take effect.

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)

PaintDesktopVersion REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1) HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop

Registry Settings

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop]

Value Name: PaintDesktopVersion

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = disable, 1 = enable)

Ren (Killshot)    0

that doesnt work

-=3R4$3R=-    0

I cant install SP1 1060 beacuse i just get "update.inf file is not correct" and then the install shuts down.....WHAT IS WRONG!?!

Kanecorp    0
Originally posted by SHoTTa35

the only way is to "Lock Desktop Items" but the transparency from the Icons are removed (don't ask why cuz i don't know)

i would like to get rid of the Windows XP Text on the desktop too..but giving up transparency isn't worth it:)

jwndw    0

Do a search for edb.log and rename both instances of it edb.old. If the log becomes corrupt, it will cause your problem.

good luck

ps: Anyone notice their memory usage went up with 1060 or is it just me?

Qba73    0
Originally posted by werejag

what i want is an offical SP1 Black List !!!

detailed to what they blacklisted

i think i know what there gonna do,...the only blacklisted key will be the fckgw key, along with ones they have seen posted in forums. generated ones for the regular pro and home editions will work because they are in fact unique keys (virgin) ms shot themselves in the foot with the unique key feature..lol.

as far as the list is concerned the only way is through windows update locking you out if the pid is the hash of a generated or blacklisted key. i have been told that the final would have an encrypted list of blacklisted keys, the crack would lie in removing this file from sp1 and wala. but windows update would still lock you out :(

exit    0

I remember that Tweak UI had a way in it to remove the version number from the desktop

Qba73    0
Originally posted by exit

I remember that Tweak UI had a way in it to remove the version number from the desktop

tried it, didnt work.