Paul Thurrott reviews Mac OS X "Tiger"

Allow me to make a confession that may surprise you. I've been a Mac fan my entire life. Back in 1987, when my house burned down after a Christmas tree mishap I'd rather not detail at the moment, I needed to replace my crispy Commodore 64 set up with a more modern system. I originally wanted an Amiga, but alas, the local Commodore dealer didn't offer financing. The local Apple dealer did, however, and after figuring out how much I wanted to spend (an exorbitant amount even by today's standards), I arrived at two choices: An Apple IIGS with a color display, 768 KB (not MB) of RAM, one 5.25-inch floppy drive, one 3.5-inch floppy drive, and an Image Writer II printer, or a black-and-white Mac Plus with 1 MB of RAM.

Yep, I bought the IIGS.

I know, I know. But I really wanted the color screen, and the IIGS did feature a Mac-like user interface. More important, the IIGS hardware was simply elegant. It was a work of beauty, allowing the Apple II line to go out on a high note, even as the company basically abandoned the product. In any event, I often wondered what might have been had I adopted the Mac 20 years ago. Would I have stuck with it?

Well, we'll never know for sure. What did happen was that I eventually moved to various Amiga systems and then, faced with Commodore biting the Big One in the early 1990's, I moved, unhappily, to the PC. I did everything I could to avoid Microsoft for two years, opting for IBM's doomed OS/2 for a while. But with Windows 95, Microsoft finally got its act together, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Speaking of history, I've always been interested in the computer industry and have devoured every computer industry book and news report that's been published over the past 20 years. I followed Steve Jobs' horrible flop at NeXT, but was amazed by the software that company created and then supplied only to the very rich. I followed John Sculley's rise and awful fall at Apple. And then I watched, shocked, as Steve Jobs returned to Apple.

Back in 1996, I wouldn't have chosen Jobs and NeXT for Apple. Indeed, I had hoped that the fascinating Be OS and its enigmatic leader, John-Louis Gass?e, would lead Apple into the 21st century. My initial opinion of this situation, however, was wrong: Jobs brought both his software--which became Mac OS X after a few fits and starts--and himself to Apple, and both have proven irreplaceable to the company's recent successes.

Finish reading the rest of his review by going to http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/macosx_tiger.asp

Edited by Hurmoth

Seriously, I am going to rely on his supersite for Windows for Mac product reviews. How ironic.

Tiger is in fact a minor upgrade with few major new features, more akin to what we'd call a service pack

Service pack doesn't even come close to the updates that Tiger has...

the... IRONY!! wtf? a Mac review on a windows web site? is microsoft.com gonna post an iPod review next :rofl:

I read the whole thing. He praises Tiger at first but in the end makes it aparent that the upgrades in tiger aren't all that amazing. Spotlight is basically MSN desktop search or google desktop search integrated into the OS and some applications. Dashboard is konfabulator or desktopX integrated into the OS.

of the 200 "new features", dashboard and spotlight are the biggest two, tho my mac friend has been raving to me about core image, http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

Service pack doesn't even come close to the updates that Tiger has...

585776473[/snapback]

SP2 was mostly (or all) focused on security, and it works very well :)

I love this guy. Oooh, and that Virtual PC icon in the dock, he just can't get out of his Windows mindset for even a second, now can he?

Dashboard, a controversial new feature that owes more than a little to a third party application called Konfabulator.

If so, shouldn't he also be saying:

Windows, a controversial operating system that owes more than a little to an Apple operating system called Mac OS.

Nevermind. He's just doing what he gets paid for. Tiger kicks ass and everyone knows that.

He caved in, he knows Tiger is awesom:laugh:h:

Radish?

585776464[/snapback]

Well basically it goes like this:

Games: PC

Everything else: Mac

Thats why I want a mac so ba:cry:cry:

Well basically it goes like this:

Games: PC

Everything else: Mac

Thats why I want a mac so badly :cry:

585776518[/snapback]

Hmm I'd much rather do net coding on a PC then on a mac..

Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows should be renamed to Paul Thurrott's SuperSite

585776505[/snapback]

It used to be the Windows 2000 Supersite.

Good old 1999!

A dock is just a glorified quick launch bar. Windows had that in 1997.

Besides its not who comes up with it first. Its who does it best.

Radish?

585776464[/snapback]

and I personally never know that he was a Mac fa:/..:/...but ALL IS GOOD!...Tiger kick ass and you all know i:D..:D

SP2 was mostly (or all) focused on security, and it works very well :)

585776502[/snapback]

Yeah well I was refering to any service pack for any microsoft windows products. (SP2 in my mind is still the best, but all it really did was to add a firewall) Mac OS X Tiger has new CORE COMPONENTS... core video and core image, along with Spotlight and Dashboard and a couple of new programs in one package. That is something that a service pack has never been able to do for any Microsoft software.

I love this guy. Oooh, and that Virtual PC icon in the dock, he just can't get out of his Windows mindset for even a second, now can he?

585776516[/snapback]

Most active in Mac OS and Software Discussion

( 214 posts / 69% of this member's active posts )

Doesn't surprise me, I was waiting for the knee-jerk reaction.

even though i'm a windows user, i must agree with the mac users here: paul thurrott is talking some ****. "tiger is more akin to what we know as a service pack"?! no way! i never saw service packs include new features in an OS (with the exception of WinXP SP2). that's not even the purpose of a service pack! plus, there are plenty new features in it (though boasting 200 "new features" like apple is is kinda a bit too much).

i totally agree that tiger is prolly the biggest improvement to OS X yet. i can't wait to get my hands on it :)

$129 is way too much for basically a servicve pack for osx lol... fix bugs + couple of apps and wooo you got os with a brand new version and expect people to pay for it.

Now if microsoft sold sp2+movie maker 2.1+ wmp10 even for $50 There would have been a war lol

Most active in  Mac OS and Software Discussion

( 214 posts / 69% of this member's active posts )

Doesn't surprise me, I was waiting for the knee-jerk reaction.

585776564[/snapback]

I admire your detective skills, Joel. Yes, I am a Mac fan. Yes, I prefer OS X to Windows. But I used Windows XP for 2 years, so I know them both pretty well. Still, being a Mac fan, I'd never venture into writing a Windows review, as it'd always be biased, no matter how hard I would try. Paul Thurrott, on the other hand, doesn't mind.

Was my saying that Thurrott is unable to get out of his Windows-centric mindset it a knee-jerk reaction? To me it was just stating a fact (unless the fact is so obvious it doesn't need stating). He is a hardcore Windows guy, there's no doubt about that. And as such, he'll always fail to write an unbiased OS X review. The problem is he thinks he can.

Radish?

585776464[/snapback]

From his site:

It's a high-quality release. But Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) was arguably a bigger advance over the initial release of XP than Tiger is over Mac OS X 10.3. My issue here is with marketing, not with reality.

Not when he says something like that, it isn't. Using XP SP2 on a daily basis, I can't see the huge change. I've never used OS X but it seems to have a lot of new feautres (which everyone can read on his site or Apple's.

Its obvious to me that OS X is the huge leader here. SP2 was about fixing security holes and bugs. OS X is already secure and is adding features.