Shaw Internet & Digital Cable Questions

Hello,

I'm currently looking at getting a Digital Cable & Internet bundle from shaw and I have a few questions about how to wire everything cause we're finishing our basement right now. K, this is what I was wondering u could do:

1. Purchase a 4 Port Splitter

2. Connect all cables up like this:

Diagram.JPG

Will this work? Will the internet be as fast as it would be on a regular "nonsplit" connection? Will TV quality be good? Can I have 1 TV Digital, 2 Tvs on Full Cable & 1 Cable Modem on the same line with a splitter and have no issues?

- Barret

what you probably want to do, to benefit the internet connection is use a two way splitter. One split will go directly to your cable modem while the other split goes into another 3 way splitter for your TV's. When getting splitter's, make sure their frequency range exceeds 1000mHz.

moved to home theater

Hello,

I'm currently looking at getting a Digital Cable & Internet bundle from shaw and I have a few questions about how to wire everything cause we're finishing our basement right now. K, this is what I was wondering u could do:

1. Purchase a 4 Port Splitter

2. Connect all cables up like this:

Diagram.JPG

Will this work? Will the internet be as fast as it would be on a regular "nonsplit" connection? Will TV quality be good? Can I have 1 TV Digital, 2 Tvs on Full Cable & 1 Cable Modem on the same line with a splitter and have no issues?

- Barret

585781977[/snapback]

Technicially you are doing something illegal, unless you actually paid Shaw for cable access for the extra TVs.

Our house has Shaw and FYI you don't have to pay for the first three TV's you hook up...you used to but they dropped that nonsense, so don't worry about it; in fact they'll do it for you for free.

As for Internet speeds, here's my average with them:

Your download speed : 6578236 bps, or 6424 kbps.

A 803 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 972132 bps, or 949 kbps.

The splitters have very little effect, the speed is great!

what you probably want to do, to benefit the internet connection is use a two way splitter. One split will go directly to your cable modem while the other split goes into another 3 way splitter for your TV's. When getting splitter's, make sure their frequency range exceeds 1000mHz.

moved to home theater

585782240[/snapback]

For the internet it won't have that much of an effect. However, by splitting one cable line twice with Digital Cable will introduce a whole bunch of problems. Doing that could lead to Pixilation and horrible pq [Picture Quality]. Plus, splitting it multiple time introduces noise and a whole bunch of other side effects.

For the internet it won't have that much of an effect. However, by splitting one cable line twice with Digital Cable will introduce a whole bunch of problems. Doing that could lead to Pixilation and horrible pq [Picture Quality]. Plus, splitting it multiple time introduces noise and a whole bunch of other side effects.

585785363[/snapback]

When doing the splitting in my house, I asked Cablevision (my provider for Digital Cable and Cable Internet), and was informer that this was the best method in order to preserve the quality of the signal for both uses. There will be no pixelation or horrible PQ if he uses the quality of splitters I specified.